I must be reading this wrong

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

I must be reading this wrong

#1 Post by BackInTex » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:01 am

Harvard University Study Reveals Astonishing Link Between Firearms, Crime and Gun Control

Hopefully SSS has time over Thanksgiving to read and to help me understand why this is flawed.
According to a study in the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy, which cites the Centers for Disease Control, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and the United Nations International Study on Firearms Regulation, the more guns a nation has, the less criminal activity.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

Re: I must be reading this wrong

#2 Post by jarnon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:05 am

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Buster Snopes
Myth Mashing Merry Man

#3 Post by Buster Snopes » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:09 am

Darn, he beat me to it.

CLAIM:
A 2007 Harvard University study proved that areas with higher rates of gun ownership have lower crime rates.

FALSE

What's True
Gun rights advocates Gary Mauser and Don Kates jointly authored a 2007 paper in the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy arguing that higher rates of gun ownership correlated with lower crime rates.

What's False
The paper in question was not peer-reviewed, it didn't constitute a study, and it misrepresented separate research to draw shaky, unsupported conclusions.
IMPOSSUMBLE!!!!

Pastor Fireball

#4 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:01 am

If this "study' were true, then Compton, Harlem, and Detroit would be the safest places in America... which runs counterintuitive of all of the Republican bigotries about Latinos and African-Americans.

You can't have it both ways, BIT. Pick a lane.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:04 am

Pastor Fireball wrote:
If this "study' were true, then Compton, Harlem, and Detroit would be the safest places in America... which runs counterintuitive of all of the Republican bigotries about Latinos and African-Americans.

Very little is true in the absolute and in all cases. You should know that more than anyone.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#6 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:04 pm

Pastor Fireball wrote:

No, the major commonality is they have had democrats running these places for a long time. And since you HAD to bring race into it, democrats of all races and creeds and sexual persuasions. A diversity!!!!
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:16 pm

Pastor Fireball wrote:

Thanks for your contribution to more civility via your avatar.
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#8 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:46 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Pastor Fireball wrote:

Thanks for your contribution to more civility via your avatar.
Just a little news for you, kind pastor. She admitted she made it all up. Does that not make any difference to you? Probably not.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:26 pm

So to summarize, you didn't read it wrong. The article is written wrong. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson