Greatest College Football Game Ever?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Greatest College Football Game Ever?

#1 Post by BackInTex » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:15 am

Quite possibly. It is for me anyway.

Texas A&M 74
LSU 72

Total Points - Most ever in FBS history
7 overtimes - Tied for the most ever

LSU "won" 3 times before losing

LSU "win" 1) With 30 seconds left in the game, A&M trailing LSU by 7 points, A&M's quarterback fumbled the snap, reached down picks up the ball and throws a prayer, only to be intercepted. LSU player runs a little then falls down sealing the victory. LSU wins! LSU's coach is given the Gatorade bath.
But wait. A&M's quarterback's knee was on the ground when he regained possession prior to throwing the interception. So the play is dead when he picks up the ball. No throw. No interception. But a loss of 8. 3rd down and 18 to go. 38 seconds left. 3rd down incomplete pass. 4th down. Do or die. 25 seconds left. Pass 20 yard gain. 1st down!.

LSU "win" 2) 20 seconds left. A&M with the ball, trailing by seven 17-24. 1st and 10 on LSU's 41. Incomplete pass. 11 seconds left. 2nd down, 10 to go,on the 41. Completed pass for 22 yards, but the receiver did not get out of bounds. Clock stops to set the chains with 3 seconds left. Clock starts, A&M lines ups and spikes the ball, but the clock shows 0:00. LSU wins! But wait, they review the play and the clock showed 0:01 when the ball was spiked. A&M gets one more play, from the 19 yard line. 1 second left, trailing by seven. 19 yard pass down the middle. TOUCHDOWN. Time expires, but A&M gets to attempt the extra point. It is good. Game tied. We go to overtime. 31-31

A&M wins the toss and elects to play defense first.

LSU "win" 3) In the first overtime, LSU had the ball first, but only got a field goal. A&M only needed a touchdown to win. But a pass to A&M's tight end was "fumbled" immediately after the catch and LSU recovers. LSU wins! But wait, the play is reviewed and the pass was ruled incomplete, so no fumble recovery. A&M maintains possession and ends up tying LSU with a field goal. 34-34 On to OT2.

OT 2 resulted in A&M scoring a TD and extra point. LSU scored a TD and extra point. 41-41
OT3 resulted in LSU scoring a TD. Mandatory 2 point conversion try was good. A&M scores a TD and converts it's 2 pont conversion. 49-49
OT4 LSU holds A&M to a field goal. A&M holds LSU to a field goal. 52-52
OT5 LSU scores a TD, but fails to convert the 2 point conversion. A&M scores a TD and also fails to convert. 58-58
OT6 A&M scores a TD and coverts the 2 point conversion. LSU does the same. 66-66
OT7 LSU scores a TD but fails on the 2 point conversion. A&M scores a TD and ......converts for a 74-72 win.

Whew!

LSU had a 7 game win streak against A&M. Broken.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

BackInTex

Re: Greatest College Football Game Ever?

#2 Post by BackInTex » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:21 am

Embarrassing side note:

My son, a freshman at A&M, was at the game. He left when LSU "won" the first time. He was out of the stadium when he learned the game was not quite over. So he had to watch OT1, OT2, OT3, OT4, OT5, OT6, and OT7 at the student center. I'm not even sure if he got the see A&M tie the game up at the end of regulation.

At A&M, when the team loses, the students are supposed to stay and sing the school song with the football team to show their support, even in defeat. My son will get this lecture from Dad, class of '81, and Mom, class of '88, sister 1, class of 2015, and sister 2, class of 2017. He will NEVER live this down.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:55 am

I'm blaming this game for my losing sleep. I was getting ready to go to bed and turned on one of the scoreboard shows to catch the "final" scores before doing so. The announcers mentioned the fake Gatorade bath and that the game was in the third overtime so I said, well, let's see what happens. That messed up my chances for getting to bed for the next hour or so.

Even the part I saw was great, so I imagine what the rest would have been.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:03 am

silverscreenselect wrote:The announcers mentioned the fake Gatorade bath ...
I'd bet the coach would agree there was nothing fake about it...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:59 am

silverscreenselect wrote:The announcers mentioned the fake Gatorade bath ..
The game announcers brought up the "Karma"of it and played clips of the "Bluegrass Miracle" where the Kentucky Wildcats drenched their coach with Gatorade before LSU, with 2 seconds left, threw a 74-yard game winning Hail Mary to snatch the victory from the Wildcats.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

lilclyde54

#6 Post by lilclyde54 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:10 pm

I watched it all. Towards the end, the announcers stated that the game was just about to pass the five hour mark and I had no doubt that they were correct. BiT, I know you and your family got a lot of joy out of that one. Congratulations.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:30 pm

BackInTex wrote:Embarrassing side note:

My son, a freshman at A&M, was at the game. He left when LSU "won" the first time. He was out of the stadium when he learned the game was not quite over. So he had to watch OT1, OT2, OT3, OT4, OT5, OT6, and OT7 at the student center. I'm not even sure if he got the see A&M tie the game up at the end of regulation.

At A&M, when the team loses, the students are supposed to stay and sing the school song with the football team to show their support, even in defeat. My son will get this lecture from Dad, class of '81, and Mom, class of '88, sister 1, class of 2015, and sister 2, class of 2017. He will NEVER live this down.
LOL- bless his heart, I'm sure he will never make that mistake again!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:19 pm

I watched the end of the game this afternoon/evening. It was in my favorite bar on ESPNU. I watched from somewhere in the 4th quarter to the end. Quite something!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.