Without a Trace (the show)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

Without a Trace (the show)

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:13 pm

We are looking for a new show to watch 1-3 episodes each night. We saw the pilot of Without a Trace last night and I was surprised at how little exposition they did on characters, which makes me wonder ...

On a spectrum of Law & Order at one end (with hardly any character development, mostly all case-related plot) and Bones at the other (lots of character stuff, some would say too much), where does Without a Trace fall?

I have a list a mile long of shows to see, so if this one's not in our sweet spot, I'd just as soon skip it as watch 160 episodes or whatever.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

Re: Without a Trace (the show)

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:21 pm

We went with The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel tonight. It starts slowly but punches you in the face over the final act, in a good way. We were watching it for Alex Borstein, who does not disappoint. I also liked the music, sets and costumes of 1962, and hope there will occasioally be a historical character around like Lenny Bruce in this first episode.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:53 pm

I really enjoyed the first season of Homecoming on Amazon Prime. It was superbly constructed and kept me drawn in. Only 10 episodes, though. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

kroxquo

#4 Post by kroxquo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:30 am

Bob78164 wrote:I really enjoyed the first season of Homecoming on Amazon Prime. It was superbly constructed and kept me drawn in. Only 10 episodes, though. --Bob
I also really enjoyed Homecoming but I have serious misgivings about how sustainable it is as a series (they have already confirmed a second season). They seem to have answered a lot of the questions that were lingering around. I also would have REALLY liked to have seen someone other than Julia Roberts in the lead. She is pleasant enough, but I think someone with more serious acting chops might have done much more with the role. I'm thinking Amy Adams, Toni Collette, or Jessica Chastain for example. However I know it was Julia's playpen and her toys.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

kroxquo

#5 Post by kroxquo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:34 am

Ritterskoop wrote:We are looking for a new show to watch 1-3 episodes each night. We saw the pilot of Without a Trace last night and I was surprised at how little exposition they did on characters, which makes me wonder ...

On a spectrum of Law & Order at one end (with hardly any character development, mostly all case-related plot) and Bones at the other (lots of character stuff, some would say too much), where does Without a Trace fall?

I have a list a mile long of shows to see, so if this one's not in our sweet spot, I'd just as soon skip it as watch 160 episodes or whatever.
When this was on the networks (I think it was CBS) we watched it occasionally, but I don't think it held up well and we lost interest.I think it is closer to the l & O end of the scale, but is about on the same level of case vs. character as any of the early CSI or NCIS shows.

kroxquo

#6 Post by kroxquo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:38 am

Ritterskoop wrote:We went with The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel tonight. It starts slowly but punches you in the face over the final act, in a good way. We were watching it for Alex Borstein, who does not disappoint. I also liked the music, sets and costumes of 1962, and hope there will occasioally be a historical character around like Lenny Bruce in this first episode.
I keep hearing lots of glowing endorsements and I watched the first episode and I thought the production design was outstanding but the show itself was better than OK but not knock my socks off funny like I had heard. I am still reserving final judgement until I see a few more episodes but at this point, I don't think it is going to be a marathon session.

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:21 am

kroxquo wrote:I don't think it is going to be a marathon session.
That works, because it's only two short seasons so far.

I hope we like either of her parents better soon.
--------

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:45 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:We went with The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel tonight. It starts slowly but punches you in the face over the final act, in a good way. We were watching it for Alex Borstein, who does not disappoint. I also liked the music, sets and costumes of 1962, and hope there will occasioally be a historical character around like Lenny Bruce in this first episode.
I keep hearing lots of glowing endorsements and I watched the first episode and I thought the production design was outstanding but the show itself was better than OK but not knock my socks off funny like I had heard. I am still reserving final judgement until I see a few more episodes but at this point, I don't think it is going to be a marathon session.
My wife and I jumped on the Maisel train on Day 1, and we LOVE the show. I found it very funny and incredibly well-written and well-acted by nearly everyone in the cast.

Of course, my wife was a big Gilmore Girls fan, and then we loved the season of Bunheads, so we generally like what Amy Sherman-Palladino puts on television.