WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: RIP George Bush
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:04 pm 

President Bush passed away Friday evening.

Former President George H.W. Bush dead at 94

Mr. Bush was the youngest naval pilot in World War II and was shot down over the Pacific.

He also served as Congressman, Ambassador to China and the UN, Director of Central Intelligence, and Vice President.

Post subject: Re: RIP George Bush
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:41 pm 
No Scritches!!!

I'll be looking for flags at half-staff tomorrow. We're having a small political gathering Saturday, and I'll provide some respectful remarks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:38 am 

He served his country well for many, many years. RIP.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:46 am 

Regardless of how tou felt about his politics, he was a man of character and a bona fide war hero. RIP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:14 am 
Bored Moderator

kroxquo wrote:
Regardless of how tou felt about his politics, he was a man of character and a bona fide war hero. RIP
Agreed. I voted for both of his opponents but he was the last Republican President who was up to the responsibilities of the Oval Office.

I’m a little surprised the family is willing to have Donny at the funeral. I hope for once he doesn’t try to make it about himself. —Bob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:54 am 

Bob78164 wrote:
kroxquo wrote:
Agreed. I voted for both of his opponents but he was the last Republican President who was up to the responsibilities of the Oval Office.

I’m a little surprised the family is willing to have Donny at the funeral. I hope for once he doesn’t try to make it about himself. —Bob

Fat chance.

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:08 am 

Bob78164 wrote:
He doesn't have to when he has Bob78164 and Bob Juch to detour any thread to be about him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:56 pm 
No Scritches!!!

SportsFan68 wrote:
I'll be looking for flags at half-staff tomorrow. We're having a small political gathering Saturday, and I'll provide some respectful remarks.

My remarks went over very well. A couple of people were surprised; I guess they don't watch the news on weekends.

We take the Americans with Disabilities Act for granted now, but some of us still remember 1990 when George H.W. Bush signed it into law and changed the lives of many of our friends and neighbors for the better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:55 am 

I fear that relativism has blinded us. Compared to our current state of affairs, 41 was a statesman, intellectual, pragmatist, civil, and moderate. Well hell, compared to our current state of affairs, Dan Quayle looks like Winston Churchill. But Mr. Bush had his blind spots, not that different from President Reagan and his campaign ushered in the unfortunate permanent trend of negative advertising that now, seems the only way a candidate can run a campaign.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:07 am 

bazodee wrote:
I fear that relativism has blinded us. Compared to our current state of affairs, 41 was a statesman, intellectual, pragmatist, civil, and moderate. Well hell, compared to our current state of affairs, Dan Quayle looks like Winston Churchill. But Mr. Bush had his blind spots, not that different from President Reagan and his campaign ushered in the unfortunate permanent trend of negative advertising that now, seems the only way a candidate can run a campaign.

Every politician has his flaws, and George Bush is no exception. But I think there's a time and place for pointing out his shortcomings, and an RIP thread the day after his death is not that time and place. George Bush is probably the last president in many of our lifetimes who will not generate a list of haters that follows him to his grave, and he remained on good terms with the Clintons and the Obamas the rest of his life. There is something to be said for that, and no one can question his heroism in World War II.

RIP

PS: I still remember a movie blog that I follow and how the commenters on that blog reacted when Bob Clark, the director of Porky's and A Christmas Story, died in a horrible car crash that decapitated him and also killed his son who was traveling with him. I can just imagine what his other son went through reacting to the death of a father and brother and then possibly reading some "tributes" that were truly disgusting (cleaning them up somewhat, they praised the drunk driver who killed Clark as helping to improve the movie industry). Clark's "crime" was directing a few bad movies late in his career when work was hard to find and he took what jobs he could to provide for his family after his divorce. So, I make an effort to refrain from jumping on those who can't defend themselves at a time when it can only serve to hurt their loved ones.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:28 am 
Director of Promos

Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

With agent:
The Dragon's Song

Just finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Up Next:
Devin Drake and The Roller-Ghoster
Devin Drake and the Haunted Balcony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:34 am 

jarnon wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
He doesn't have to when he has Bob78164 and Bob Juch to detour any thread to be about him.

Ol' reliable! I bet they're a blast a parties.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:35 pm 
Dog's Best Friend

silverscreenselect wrote:
bazodee wrote:

Every politician has his flaws, and George Bush is no exception. But I think there's a time and place for pointing out his shortcomings, and an RIP thread the day after his death is not that time and place. George Bush is probably the last president in many of our lifetimes who will not generate a list of haters that follows him to his grave, and he remained on good terms with the Clintons and the Obamas the rest of his life. There is something to be said for that, and no one can question his heroism in World War II.

RIP

PS: I still remember a movie blog that I follow and how the commenters on that blog reacted when Bob Clark, the director of Porky's and A Christmas Story, died in a horrible car crash that decapitated him and also killed his son who was traveling with him. I can just imagine what his other son went through reacting to the death of a father and brother and then possibly reading some "tributes" that were truly disgusting (cleaning them up somewhat, they praised the drunk driver who killed Clark as helping to improve the movie industry). Clark's "crime" was directing a few bad movies late in his career when work was hard to find and he took what jobs he could to provide for his family after his divorce. So, I make an effort to refrain from jumping on those who can't defend themselves at a time when it can only serve to hurt their loved ones.

Thank you, SSS. This is the most gracious post you've made in a long, long time. I am very happy to witness your ability to show restraint and consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:36 pm 
Dog's Best Friend

silverscreenselect wrote:
bazodee wrote:

RIP

Thank you, SSS. This is the most gracious post you've made in a long, long time. I am very happy to witness your ability to show restraint and consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:37 pm 
Bored Moderator

He's entitled to be buried in Arlington, right? Will he be? --Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:42 pm 

Bob78164 wrote:
He certainly is. But he'll be buried in College Station, Texas, next to Mrs. Bush.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:58 pm 

jarnon wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
He certainly is. But he'll be buried in College Station, Texas, next to Mrs. Bush.

... at his presidential library on the campus of Texas A&M University.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:43 pm 

I loved this story.

http://time.com/5469189/george-h-w-bush-socks/

And this one.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/polit ... -547119045

I have been getting such a kick out of seeing him in the last couple of years, so I could see what socks that Poppy Bush was rocking. I am so glad that some of them raised money for a great cause and supported a special young man and his business.

The ADA has been extremely helpful to my best friend from college's two daughters - my goddaughter and her sister.

And I am glad we (meaning the free world) had a man of his lifetime of service shepherding through the end of the Cold War and fall of the Berlin Wall.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:14 pm 
Bored Moderator

It looks like all federal courts will be closed tomorrow and there won't be mail delivery. I don't recall that happening when President Reagan died. --Bob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:08 pm 
Queen of Wack

Bob78164 wrote:
It looks like all federal courts will be closed tomorrow and there won't be mail delivery. I don't recall that happening when President Reagan died. --Bob

What's your point, if it's even correct to begin with?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:51 pm 

Bush calls national day of mourning

Quote:
Federal departments and agencies will close for the day, except those dealing with national security or essential services, under Bush's executive order.

President Ford too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:05 pm 
Bored Moderator

jarnon wrote:

Quote:
Federal departments and agencies will close for the day, except those dealing with national security or essential services, under Bush's executive order.

President Ford too.
Thanks. I didn't remember that at all. Still don't, but there it is in black and white. --Bob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:19 pm 
Queen of Wack

Bob78164 wrote:
jarnon wrote:

Quote:

President Ford too.
Thanks. I didn't remember that at all. Still don't, but there it is in black and white. --Bob

Surprise!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:28 pm 
Dumbass

Bob78164 wrote:
jarnon wrote:

Quote:

President Ford too.

I certainly remember it because it created a three day shutdown of mail delivery (Sunday, New Years and the day of mourning) that pissed me off because I was expecting something at the time...

lb13

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 am 

Bob78164 wrote:

I know that there was a "day of mourning" for Reagan - I was in Europe on temporary duty with the Corps of Engineers office in Wiesbaden and we were shut down (elwing and I took advantage of the day to do a Rhine River cruise).