WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:43 pm 
Offline
Keeper of the Transcripts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 4351
Tom Zulewski (BB Tommynator)
Sports writer
Cedar City, Utah


$50,000
When Jesse Owens won the 200 meters at the 1936 Olympics, the silver medalist was the brother of who?
A: Baseball’s Jackie Robinson B: Boxing’s Joe Louis
C: Football’s Red Grange D: Basketball’s Bob Cousy

Tom says Jackie Robinson was a track star at UCLA.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Baseball’s Jackie Robinson


Commercial break

$100,000
Which of these Gandhis is not related to the other three Gandhis listed?
A: Mahatma Gandhi B: Indira Gandhi
C: Rajiv Gandhi D: Rahul Gandhi

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
Tom answers D: Rahul Gandhi.
The correct answer is A: Mahatma Gandhi.
Tom wins $50,000.


Commercial break


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:24 pm 
Online
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17588
Location: By the phone
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Tom Zulewski (BB Tommynator)
Sports writer
Cedar City, Utah


$50,000
When Jesse Owens won the 200 meters at the 1936 Olympics, the silver medalist was the brother of who?
A: Baseball’s Jackie Robinson B: Boxing’s Joe Louis
C: Football’s Red Grange D: Basketball’s Bob Cousy

Tom says Jackie Robinson was a track star at UCLA.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Baseball’s Jackie Robinson


Commercial break

$100,000
Which of these Gandhis is not related to the other three Gandhis listed?
A: Mahatma Gandhi B: Indira Gandhi
C: Rajiv Gandhi D: Rahul Gandhi

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
Tom answers D: Rahul Gandhi.
The correct answer is A: Mahatma Gandhi.
Tom wins $50,000.


Commercial break
As I understand it, Mahatma is actually a sobriquet meaning "great-souled." (It comes from "maha," as in "maharaja," and "atma.") So I think the reference should be to Mohandas Gandhi. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 15706
Bob78164 wrote:
As I understand it, Mahatma is actually a sobriquet meaning "great-souled." (It comes from "maha," as in "maharaja," and "atma.") So I think the reference should be to Mohandas Gandhi. --Bob


That's like saying that the answer to a baseball question should be "George Herman Ruth" instead of "Babe Ruth." It only really matters if the real first name figures into the answer.

As an aside, I remember playing an early version of the Jeopardy board game back in the 1960s, when this came up, and the "answer" to one of the clues was something like "First name of the Indian political leader Gandhi." They had an answer book so that people could look up the answers and they specifically said not to accept Mahatma as a correct answer for this particular question.

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4294
Location: Merion, Pa.
silverscreenselect wrote:
As an aside, I remember playing an early version of the Jeopardy board game back in the 1960s, when this came up, and the "answer" to one of the clues was something like "First name of the Indian political leader Gandhi." They had an answer book so that people could look up the answers and they specifically said not to accept Mahatma as a correct answer for this particular question.
Years ago, i imagined my "ideal" Millionaire stack - hard questions that I could answer because of something in my life experience (like Jamal in Slumdog Millionaire). Here's one:

$250,000
What is the first name of famed MIT linguist Chomsky?
A: Avram B: Noah
C: Noam D: Jacob

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Avram


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 12651
Location: mired in the bureaucracy
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Tom Zulewski (BB Tommynator)
Sports writer
Cedar City, Utah


Nihil obstat®.

_________________
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 7219
50K:

I did not know the one that was a college track star & would need all the help I could get here. In all the stuff I've read/seen on Owens, I've never heard/seen this.

Way to go, sports expert!

100K: This one I knew, though I probably wouldn't get to see it..


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:17 am
Posts: 20
I had Mahatma in my head for the briefest of moments, but got too hung up in the "how they're related" part of the question instead of treating them individually.

Mahatma was the one who led the fight for independence from Britain around the turn of the 20th century, and he was in his 40s before Indira was even born. She married into the Gandhi family.

Such is life when you know these things after the fact, but I'm not the least bit mad. I have $50,000!!!!! (not yet, but soon!)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:23 am 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 9309
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Tommynator wrote:
She married into the Gandhi family.
She did, but a different Gandhi family. It is a common surname in that part of India. She is not related to the family of Mahatma Gandhi.

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:17 am
Posts: 20
Estonut wrote:
Tommynator wrote:
She married into the Gandhi family.
She did, but a different Gandhi family. It is a common surname in that part of India. She is not related to the family of Mahatma Gandhi.


Gandhi = our Smith or Jones.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beebs52, Bob78164 and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.