Hey Kavanaugh shredders

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: Hey Kavanaugh shredders

#26 Post by Estonut » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:26 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:"The party who elected Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to the House has no standing to call anyone brain-dead."
Sss called repub party braindead.
I know. But Estonut is saying that the words I quoted above don't imply that he's calling the Democratic Party brain-dead for electing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. I don't buy it.
As I said before, that's the inference you are wrong about. The point I was implying was that the Democratic Party has no expertise in brain-deadedness, having elected her. That is a comment on your judgment, not intelligence.

You also stated, "That seems like an awfully harsh comment about someone who hasn’t yet held elected office. Let’s see what she does after Inauguration Day before trying to typecast her." So which is it, a comment about her, specifically (it was), or you all generally (it wasn't). Have you not seen nor read clips of her statements? It is clear she is in over her head and has no clue about how things work.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#27 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:36 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Sss called repub party braindead.
I know. But Estonut is saying that the words I quoted above don't imply that he's calling the Democratic Party brain-dead for electing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. I don't buy it.
As I said before, that's the inference you are wrong about. The point I was implying was that the Democratic Party has no expertise in brain-deadedness, having elected her. That is a comment on your judgment, not intelligence.

You also stated, "That seems like an awfully harsh comment about someone who hasn’t yet held elected office. Let’s see what she does after Inauguration Day before trying to typecast her." So which is it, a comment about her, specifically (it was), or you all generally (it wasn't). Have you not seen nor read clips of her statements? It is clear she is in over her head and has no clue about how things work.
The very fact of her election demonstrates that she has at least some clue about how some things work.

This is how Wikipedia describes her education:

"Ocasio-Cortez attended Yorktown High School, graduating in 2007, where she won second prize in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair with a microbiology research project on the effect of antioxidants on C. elegans' lifespan. As a result, the International Astronomical Union named a small asteroid after her: 23238 Ocasio-Cortez. In high school, she took part in the National Hispanic Institute's Lorenzo de Zavala (LDZ) Youth Legislative Session. She later became the LDZ Secretary of State while she attended Boston University. Ocasio-Cortez had a John F. Lopez Fellowship. In 2008, while Ocasio-Cortez was a sophomore at Boston University, her father died of lung cancer. During college, she was an intern in the immigration office of U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy. She graduated cum laude from Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences in 2011 with a bachelor's degree in international relations and a minor in economics."

This demonstrates at least some ability to learn, which is the opposite of being brain-dead.

In contrast, the Speaker of the House has been frequently lauded as a genius for his ability to make proposals that balance the federal budget using what Paul Krugman has justly derided as a "magic asterisk." He's actually a fraudster, but almost no one would call him out on it. Certainly no one has ever called him brain-dead despite his evident unwillingness or inability to do simple budget arithmetic. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#28 Post by Estonut » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I know. But Estonut is saying that the words I quoted above don't imply that he's calling the Democratic Party brain-dead for electing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. I don't buy it.

The very fact of her election demonstrates that she has at least some clue about how some things work.

"Ocasio-Cortez attended Yorktown High School, graduating in 2007, where she won second prize in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair with a microbiology research project on the effect of antioxidants on C. elegans' lifespan. As a result, the International Astronomical Union named a small asteroid after her: 23238 Ocasio-Cortez. In high school, she took part in the National Hispanic Institute's Lorenzo de Zavala (LDZ) Youth Legislative Session. She later became the LDZ Secretary of State while she attended Boston University. Ocasio-Cortez had a John F. Lopez Fellowship. In 2008, while Ocasio-Cortez was a sophomore at Boston University, her father died of lung cancer. During college, she was an intern in the immigration office of U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy. She graduated cum laude from Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences in 2011 with a bachelor's degree in international relations and a minor in economics."

This demonstrates at least some ability to learn, which is the opposite of being brain-dead.

In contrast, the Speaker of the House has been frequently lauded as a genius for his ability to make proposals that balance the federal budget using what Paul Krugman has justly derided as a "magic asterisk." He's actually a fraudster, but almost no one would call him out on it. Certainly no one has ever called him brain-dead despite his evident unwillingness or inability to do simple budget arithmetic.
You seem to forget that the term was brought up by sss in his attack on Republicans, not me.

You ignored my question, "Have you not seen nor read clips of her statements?" Do you think that "just pay for it" sounds like the plan of an economic genius?

Has she stated any other plans that make sense economically?
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#29 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:As I said before, that's the inference you are wrong about. The point I was implying was that the Democratic Party has no expertise in brain-deadedness, having elected her. That is a comment on your judgment, not intelligence.

In contrast, the Speaker of the House has been frequently lauded as a genius for his ability to make proposals that balance the federal budget using what Paul Krugman has justly derided as a "magic asterisk." He's actually a fraudster, but almost no one would call him out on it. Certainly no one has ever called him brain-dead despite his evident unwillingness or inability to do simple budget arithmetic.
You seem to forget that the term was brought up by sss in his attack on Republicans, not me.

You ignored my question, "Have you not seen nor read clips of her statements?" Do you think that "just pay for it" sounds like the plan of an economic genius?

I'll start caring about that when I start seeing draft legislation. I haven't heard anything about her goals that seems infeasible to me. Until it's time to actually legislate, as far as I'm concerned, she's just trying to generate political support for a concept that remains controversial. You do that by simplifying, not with a mass of details. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#30 Post by Estonut » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:The very fact of her election demonstrates that she has at least some clue about how some things work.

I'll start caring about that when I start seeing draft legislation. I haven't heard anything about her goals that seems infeasible to me. Until it's time to actually legislate, as far as I'm concerned, she's just trying to generate political support for a concept that remains controversial. You do that by simplifying, not with a mass of details.
"... just trying to generate political support for a concept..."? Were these not promises upon which she got herself elected?

Here's her entire platform:

Medicare For All
Housing As a Human Right
A Peace Economy
A Federal Jobs Guarantee
Gun Control / Assault Weapons Ban
Criminal Justice Reform, End Private Prisons
Immigration Justice / Abolish ICE
Solidarity with Puerto Rico
Mobilizing Against Climate Change
Clean Campaign Finance
Higher Education / Trade School for All
Women's Rights
Support LGBTQIA+
Support Seniors
Curb Wall Street Gambling: Restore Glass Steagall

So you think this is ALL economically feasible?
Groucho Marx

BackInTex

#31 Post by BackInTex » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:29 pm

Bob78164 wrote:as far as I'm concerned, she's just trying to generate political support for a concept that remains controversial. You do that by simplifying, not with a mass of details. --Bob
Do you ever read what you type before posting? You may have just typed the best supporting comment for what Esto initially posted.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#32 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Estonut wrote: Here's her entire platform:

Medicare For All
Housing As a Human Right
A Peace Economy
A Federal Jobs Guarantee
Clean Campaign Finance
Women's Rights
Support LGBTQIA+
Support Seniors

Here's a definition of political platform:
A party platform refers to a political party's formal statement of its basic principles, objectives, and positions on major issues. It is a list of the actions which a political party supports in order to appeal to the general public for the purpose of attracting vote.
That's pretty much what Bob said, and what it's always been understood as, a declaration of basic principles. That's why they are generally very broad. And if Ocasio-Sanchez is able to get popular legislation on some of these issues through the House that the Republicans in the Senate and/or Trump shoot down, I think the Democrats will be very happy to see how that plays politically in 2020. That's smart politics; not dumb. You saw how well the Trump tax cut and efforts to gut Obamacare played with the voters this time around.

What has hamstrung the Democrats the last two years is the inability to get their own legislation in front of the American public. All they've been able to do is oppose the worst Republican measures, sometimes successfully and sometimes not. The next two years you will see legislation get through the House that the Democrats can show the public. Not dumb, not brain dead, but very smart.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#33 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:23 am

Estonut wrote:Here's her entire platform:

Medicare For All
Housing As a Human Right
A Peace Economy
A Federal Jobs Guarantee
Clean Campaign Finance
Women's Rights
Support LGBTQIA+
Support Seniors

Reversing the billionaires' tax cut alone will pay for one hell of a lot of benefits (and will have the additional benefit of cutting my taxes, which substantially increased to partially fund the tax cut for billionaires). --Bob

Estonut
Evil Genius

#34 Post by Estonut » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:12 am

Bob78164 wrote:

Medicare For All
Housing As a Human Right
A Peace Economy
A Federal Jobs Guarantee
Clean Campaign Finance
Women's Rights
Support LGBTQIA+
Support Seniors

Reversing the billionaires' tax cut alone will pay for one hell of a lot of benefits (and will have the additional benefit of cutting my taxes, which substantially increased to partially fund the tax cut for billionaires).
So your answer is "no."
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#35 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:20 am

Estonut wrote: So you think this is ALL economically feasible?
Considering that Trump and the Republicans passed a hundreds of pages long billionaire's tax cut that has proved not to be economically feasible without running up the deficit, they have no room to talk about a one-paragraph platform proposal from an incoming freshman Congresswoman.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#36 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:19 am

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Medicare For All
Housing As a Human Right
A Peace Economy
A Federal Jobs Guarantee
Clean Campaign Finance
Women's Rights
Support LGBTQIA+
Support Seniors

Reversing the billionaires' tax cut alone will pay for one hell of a lot of benefits (and will have the additional benefit of cutting my taxes, which substantially increased to partially fund the tax cut for billionaires).
So your answer is "no."
My answer is that I will await the analysis of the CBO before forming an opinion. --Bob

Estonut
Evil Genius

#37 Post by Estonut » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:39 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Considering that Trump and the Republicans passed a hundreds of pages long billionaire's tax cut that has proved not to be economically feasible without running up the deficit, they have no room to talk about a one-paragraph platform proposal from an incoming freshman Congresswoman.
So your answer is no, too?

This is not a one-paragraph platform proposal. It's her entire website.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#38 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Estonut wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
So your answer is no, too?

This is not a one-paragraph platform proposal. It's her entire website.
Neither one of us said no. I said I don't know and I won't know until I see the specifics of a proposal and a CBO score. I also said that merely reversing the billionaires' tax cut will give us budget room to accomplish a helluva lot.

SSS merely pointed out that any Republican concern about economic feasibility is grossly hypocritical. --Bob

Estonut
Evil Genius

#39 Post by Estonut » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:52 am

Spoiler
Groucho Marx