Is it my imagination

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Sir_Galahad

Is it my imagination

#1 Post by Sir_Galahad » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:08 am

or is most of what I hear on the news these days negative? 95% of what I hear either on the radio or TV news is murders, robbery, rape, teachers having sex with kids, soldiers killed in IRAQ, kids being abducted, college shoot outs, bank shoot outs, and on and on. I keep waiting for the positive story to roll around on the news ferris wheel but it rarely comes. I KNOW there must be some good being done out there. So, why don't they report that? Have they researched and found that negativity sells? It makes me wonder.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

Bixby17

Re: Is it my imagination

#2 Post by Bixby17 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:19 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:or is most of what I hear on the news these days negative? 95% of what I hear either on the radio or TV news is murders, robbery, rape, teachers having sex with kids, soldiers killed in IRAQ, kids being abducted, college shoot outs, bank shoot outs, and on and on. I keep waiting for the positive story to roll around on the news ferris wheel but it rarely comes. I KNOW there must be some good being done out there. So, why don't they report that? Have they researched and found that negativity sells? It makes me wonder.
I know that negativity sells.

Except for when it involves cheerleaders. Then it is sex.

When I do my stuff for AOL sports, the only stories that they feature of mine on the front page of their sports stuff is when I write about bad stuff or cheerleaders. The editors choose what to feature. And I have to say that those are the stories that tend to get the most comments. So, they've featured my Travis Johnson stuff this week. See e.g.:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/ ... n-the-nfl/

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/ ... s-johnson/

So yeah, negativity and/or sex sells.

Analysis is more of a niche.