One Tough Looking Santa

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

One Tough Looking Santa

#1 Post by Spock » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:30 pm

https://hillbillyhighways.wordpress.com ... d-by-brom/

"Krampus the Yule Lord" is my Christmas reading this year.

I like the picture of Santa in the Hillbilly Highways review better than the mall santas.

>>>"It’s dark fantasy and southern gothic set in meth-ravaged West Virginia and owes more to writers like Ron Rash and Daniel Woodrell than Stephen King. All set against a pagan, Norse mythology. If that sounds like it’s up your alley, you’ll love it. If it doesn’t? You’ll probably still love it".>>>>

Not my normal reading, but Jim at Frontier Partisans is on an Old, Weird America kick and talked about Belsnickles as a Christmas Custom which lead to bringing up the Krampus book.

https://frontierpartisans.com/14570/belsnickle/

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: One Tough Looking Santa

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Not Norse, eastern European. I'm a Norwegian, etc. No krampus.
Well, then

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Not Norse, eastern European. I'm a Norwegian, etc. No krampus.
Here is what FP said about that.

>>>"Brom loots mythology like a berserk Viking, turning it to his own creative ends. Brom’s own version of “Belsnickles” play a role — and three of them are Shawnee. Oh, hell yes…"<<<<

Obviously, he wasn't a purist and he re-imagined mythology.

Apparently, in a previous book he re-imagined the Peter Pan story in The Child Thief which I have seen compared to "Wicked."

Speaking of Norwegian background. Did you grow up with Julebakking (Christmas Fooling) as a custom? I can kind of describe it as adults trick-or-treating for alcohol. But as many of them did not drink-it was more than about alcohol.

It sort of survived in my rural community until the early 1970's, just prior to my being able to remember it.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:56 pm

Spock wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Not Norse, eastern European. I'm a Norwegian, etc. No krampus.
Here is what FP said about that.

>>>"Brom loots mythology like a berserk Viking, turning it to his own creative ends. Brom’s own version of “Belsnickles” play a role — and three of them are Shawnee. Oh, hell yes…"<<<<

Obviously, he wasn't a purist and he re-imagined mythology.

Apparently, in a previous book he re-imagined the Peter Pan story in The Child Thief which I have seen compared to "Wicked."

Speaking of Norwegian background. Did you grow up with Julebakking (Christmas Fooling) as a custom? I can kind of describe it as adults trick-or-treating for alcohol. But as many of them did not drink-it was more than about alcohol.

It sort of survived in my rural community until the early 1970's, just prior to my being able to remember it.
My grandparents, mom were Thompson, Olson, jumping off a freighter back in the day. Norway, Sweden, Dane. Lutefisk, lefse, krumkake, rosettes,...no on your other stuff
Well, then