I won the Dog Pound Lottery

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

I won the Dog Pound Lottery

#1 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:26 am

I've been keeping this as a secret from all of you for a couple of months. I figured Lizbit would spill the beans before I did. Okay, there was no actual lottery involved.

After Rusty died, life was too quiet. Finding another rescue greyhound became uncertain because of the closure of additional dog racetracks in Florida or elsewhere. Nobody knew how many dogs would become available or when or whether any of them would end up in Oklahoma rescue organizations. So, after scouring the internet, I suddenly spotted an "impossible" photo on the site of the local municipal animal shelter where I found Lizbit and Wiki, both of whom are wonderful canines in their own pointer-ish and border collie-ish ways, whatever the uncertainty of their breeding and previous lives might be.

The photo was "impossible" because the subject was a beautiful, young, male Weimaraner, and -- at least in my area and, I suspect, almost everywhere -- Weimaraners don't go to animal shelters. They just don't. They are sold for large sums of money or taken in by Weimaraner breed rescues who tend to adopt them out mostly (if not exclusively) to other Weimaraner owners.

I went to the pound "just to look." I know, I didn't need another dog, but I was curious. By luck or plan, the shelter employee who took me back to the dog lived on the same block as his previous owners, knew his back story and began by explaining his "deal-busters" (her words to discourage anyone who wasn't prepared to deal with his drawbacks.) She said he was an escape artist. "He can jump a four-foot fence and disappear before anybody knows he's gone. So, you can't just let him out in the back yard. You have to keep him on a leash whenever he goes outside. The dog-catcher has brought him in here before. His previous family finally decided they had to sign him over to us." I sensed that he may have been caught away from home several times in the past, possibly with increasing fines.

I was neither impressed nor discouraged. Little Wiki had leaped a four-foot fence when she was still a pup in order to sniff the fluffy backsides of Lizbit's next-door chicken friends, and she had recently jumped or climbed over a five-foot gate in a dog run. Keeping a dog on a leash for all outside activities is very much like dealing with a greyhound or a whippet, because if they do decide to run for any reason, there's no catching them until they're ready to be caught. I've had at least five sighthounds worth of experience with that sort of thing.

I looked at this dog, trying but failing to find anything wrong with him. I took him outside to a fenced area. He walked around for several minutes to find a 1-foot square of artificial turf, upon which he promptly pooped. I thought he wanted to prove to me that he was house-trained. I finally said the only words that seemed possible: "I would like to adopt this dog."

He had been neutered, given shots, and microchipped at the shelter. The adoption fee was less than the cost of the microchip alone from my regular vet. While I was writing a check, a young man came in to adopt "the Weimaraner" whose photo he'd seen on Facebook. He was crushed to learn that I'd already staked my claim. I felt bad for him, and I felt bad for the family who had to give him up, but I already was head over heels with this incredibly handsome fellow. What's a girl gonna do?

His name is Ramsay. I don't know if he was named that because he looks like Gordon Ramsay, if Gordon were much better looking, but the color of the chef's hair and the dog's fur is similar. Or, perhaps somebody thought they were naming him after an Egyptian pharaoh and got it a wee bit wrong. He's still Ramsay, and he's a love.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: I won the Dog Pound Lottery

#2 Post by Estonut » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:36 am

silvercamaro wrote:His name is Ramsay. I don't know if he was named that because he looks like Gordon Ramsay, if Gordon were much better looking, but the color of the chef's hair and the dog's fur is similar.
I've heard that Gordon Ramsay also poops outside on a 1-foot square piece of astroturf!

Congrats, sc! The shelter will probably put you on speed-dial now.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:46 am

Congratulations, sc!

And welcome to your forever home, Ramsey! I'm sure you knew this was exactly what you were looking for, every time you went "exploring" from your old home.

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:24 am

It's wonderful when the impossible becomes possible!
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

a1mamacat

#5 Post by a1mamacat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:51 am

such wonderful news.

Hope you grace us with a picture soon.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

jaybee

#6 Post by jaybee » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:06 am

I have read the tails (see what I did there) of several generations of dogs in your life over the last - what? - 19 years?

Pretty safe bet to say that Ramsay has just won the dog people lottery. May you and your brood continue to all believe that you are the luckiest (person / dog) in the world.
Jaybee

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:28 am

This is so wonderful.
Well, then

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#8 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 am

Another match made in Heaven! Congratulations to both of you!
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#9 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:40 pm

Yay, SC! Yay, Ramsay!

This is wonderful New Year news! I'm so glad he's come to live with you instead of the young man. Obviously I have no reason for saying this except the "young man" part, but I bet he would have tried to turn Ramsay into a hunting dog with predictably unfortunate results given that running away history.

I've never adopted a dog from the Shelter, but you give me new hope if anything ever happens to CaseyGrrl.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:55 pm

I'm pretty sure Ramsay is the lottery winner in this scenario. Happy for you both!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:00 am

Awww! One of the people I follow on Wordpress is a weimaraner family, so I know a bit about the dogs. And I know Lizzie is going to have her hands full trying to teach her new student the ways of the yard! Congratulations on the new addition! We'll need a picture of the gang all together...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#12 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:28 am

[quote="littlebeast13"]We'll need a picture of the gang all together...[quote]

That may take a while. All three of them seem to consider "Sit" as a mere suggestion, not a command.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

jaybee

#13 Post by jaybee » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:14 am

Our dog responds very well to the command, "Eat". Maybe you can use that one in conjunction to tossing a pile of bacon on the floor. :D
Jaybee

mellytu74

#14 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:38 am

WHAT A WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL STORY TO END THE OLD YEAR!!!

So happy reading this and cannot wait to hear more about Ramsey and his lessons from Lizbit.

danielh41

#15 Post by danielh41 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:55 am

I clicked on this half expecting to see that you had won season tickets to the Cleveland Browns. Congrats on the new dog.

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:02 pm

I'm happy for you and Ramsay.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

ghostjmf

#17 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:31 pm

Awwww.