At Least AOC doesn't mispronounce Nuclear

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

At Least AOC doesn't mispronounce Nuclear

#1 Post by Spock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:05 am

From AOC's 60 Minutes interview

>>>" If people want to really blow up one figure here or one word there, I would argue that they're missing the forest for the trees. I think that there's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right."<<<

I obviously don't have to wonder if her fanboys here, who are usually pretty pedantic about being precise, factually and semantically correct will excuse her on this whole philosophy of her life.

"I am morally right-The facts don't matter"-It is terrifying when you think about it.

The people in our cities will be eating cats, dogs and grass if her vision of "Morally Right" is ever fully instituted.

And heating their homes with?

silverscreenselect

Re: At Least AOC doesn't mispronounce Nuclear

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:46 am

Spock wrote: The people in our cities will be eating cats, dogs and grass if her vision of "Morally Right" is ever fully instituted.

The more I see from AOC, the more I like her. Her biggest asset has been her ability to tie her opponents into hysterical knots, throwing out statements like Spock just made. They want to make her their next Hillary, but she's proving quite adept at dishing it out in a way they makes them look like idiots. The latest lunacy was the "scoop" that AOC has actually gone by the nickname "Sandy" instead of referring to herself as "Alexandria" all the time, as she has in all of her formal campaign filings. Apparently, according to right wingers this is some deeply hidden secret of hers that indicates she's only using her ethnicity as an election gimmick.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:48 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Spock wrote: The people in our cities will be eating cats, dogs and grass if her vision of "Morally Right" is ever fully instituted.

The more I see from AOC, the more I like her. Her biggest asset has been her ability to tie her opponents into hysterical knots, throwing out statements like Spock just made. They want to make her their next Hillary, but she's proving quite adept at dishing it out in a way they makes them look like idiots. The latest lunacy was the "scoop" that AOC has actually gone by the nickname "Sandy" instead of referring to herself as "Alexandria" all the time, as she has in all of her formal campaign filings. Apparently, according to right wingers this is some deeply hidden secret of hers that indicates she's only using her ethnicity as an election gimmick.
This surprises me not at all. You are deeply pitiable.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#4 Post by Spock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:55 am

Given AOC's life philosophy of

"I am morally right, the facts don't matter"

I am reminded of the C.S. Lewis quote.

>>>“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”<<<

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/19967- ... r-the-good

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:05 am

Spock wrote:Given AOC's life philosophy of

It's interesting that you continue to do just what AOC called out her detractors for doing. Here's her quote (and keep in mind that this is somebody's transcript of an oral interview, not a statement that AOC herself wrote):
If people want to really blow up one figure here or one word there, I would argue that they're missing the forest for the trees. I think that there's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.
She called people out for blowing up a figure or a word. You're calling her out for a comma that someone inserted in a transcript. A fair reading of her statement would be "precisely factually and semantically correct" or, in other words, a statement that contained absolutely no factual or grammatical errors whatsoever. AOC pointed out that her opponents like to leap on any imprecision to ridicule her while ignoring the larger truth of what she's saying.

You just proved her correct.

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:13 am

It's interesting that you continue to do just what AOC called out her detractors for doing. Here's her quote (and keep in mind that this is somebody's transcript of an oral interview, not a statement that AOC herself wrote):
If people want to really blow up one figure here or one word there, I would argue that they're missing the forest for the trees. I think that there's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.
She called people out for blowing up a figure or a word. You're calling her out for a comma that someone inserted in a transcript. A fair reading of her statement would be "precisely factually and semantically correct" or, in other words, a statement that contained absolutely no factual or grammatical errors whatsoever. AOC pointed out that her opponents like to leap on any imprecision to ridicule her while ignoring the larger truth of what she's saying.

You just proved her correct.
Everything is always tactical with you isn't it.

Look at the strategic part of the quote "Morally right" in light of the CS Lewis Quote. Then go on from there.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:33 am

You have altered Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's statement to characterize it as saying something I have no reason to think she actually believes. It looks to me like you're doing exactly what you are accusing Rep. Ocasio-Cortez of doing -- altering or ignoring facts to fit your view of the way the world should be.

What she's calling out is something like criticizing Senator Obama for his reference to 58 states. Was it inaccurate? Of course. But people used his error to obscure his actual point. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:46 am

Bob78164 wrote:

You have altered Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's statement to characterize it as saying something I have no reason to think she actually believes. It looks to me like you're doing exactly what you are accusing Rep. Ocasio-Cortez of doing -- altering or ignoring facts to fit your view of the way the world should be.

What she's calling out is something like criticizing Senator Obama for his reference to 58 states. Was it inaccurate? Of course. But people used his error to obscure his actual point. --Bob
Um. No.
Well, then

Spock

#9 Post by Spock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:02 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Um. No.
Well, since her central point is that she is "Morally Right"-I would say that I have been very clear on pointing out her central point. As a lawyer, you are just choosing to obfuscate that.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:14 pm

Spock wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:You have altered Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's statement to characterize it as saying something I have no reason to think she actually believes. It looks to me like you're doing exactly what you are accusing Rep. Ocasio-Cortez of doing -- altering or ignoring facts to fit your view of the way the world should be.

Um. No.
Well, since her central point is that she is "Morally Right"-I would say that I have been very clear on pointing out her central point. As a lawyer, you are just choosing to obfuscate that.
Her quote doesn't claim that she's morally right. It says that people are more interested in nitpicking than in grappling with whether her positions are morally right. As someone who can read English, I'm just choosing not to stand silent when you alter Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's meaning to something that better fits your narrative but is farther from the truth. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#11 Post by Spock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Spock wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Um. No.
Her quote doesn't claim that she's morally right. It says that people are more interested in nitpicking than in grappling with whether her positions are morally right. As someone who can read English, I'm just choosing not to stand silent when you alter Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's meaning to something that better fits your narrative but is farther from the truth. --Bob
re-Nitpicking and the rest of it

says the man who tried to limit discussion of wider issues of immigration and so forth in Sweden and Europe, literally to
what happened "Last Night in Sweden" because Trump said "Last Night in Sweden."

I moved on from the nitpicking parts of this a few posts ago. Let's look at what she wants to do with her vision of the world.

Per 60 Minutes-She envisions the US as Denmark-For many reasons, I think she would get Venezuela. Given the many differences between the current United States and the era when "Denmark" as she sees it was created; How does she get Denmark and not Venezuela?.

Or do we just want to do tactical ticky tacky shit?
Last edited by Spock on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:55 pm

Bob78164 wrote: Her quote doesn't claim that she's morally right. It says that people are more interested in nitpicking than in grappling with whether her positions are morally right. As someone who can read English, I'm just choosing not to stand silent when you alter Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's meaning to something that better fits your narrative but is farther from the truth. --Bob
This thread demonstrates exactly how the right chooses to deal with (or more accurately, not deal with) AOC. Instead of looking at any of her admittedly general proposals to see if they are desirable, practical, or achievable, they nitpick her to death, claim she's looking to change the US into another Venezuela (it's interesting that they never make any comparisons to Western European countries that have achieved many of the things she wants), or want to impose their idea of her sense of morality on the rest of the world.

I also find it funny that many on the right seem to have no problem whatsoever with imposing their idea of religious morality on the rest of the country.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:01 pm

Here's what Paul Krugman has to say about her proposals re top marginal rates.

To summarize, when US tax policy was in line with her proposals, we enjoyed the greatest and most widespread economic expansion in our history. We have evidence (in the form of the historical record) that tax rates along the lines of what Ocasio-Cortez is proposing do not in fact induce the rich to stop earning money. They continue to earn money, but since more of their gains are paid in taxes and since there's a lot the government could be doing to improve our collective lives (free pre-school, for example), those extra revenues improve us as a whole.

And since the extra money the very rich are paying doesn't really affect their lifestyles very much (perhaps they can no longer afford that third yacht), we gain this improvement at very little cost in human terms. --Bob

Spock

#14 Post by Spock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:11 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Here's what Paul Krugman has to say about her proposals re top marginal rates.

To summarize, when US tax policy was in line with her proposals, we enjoyed the greatest and most widespread economic expansion in our history. We have evidence (in the form of the historical record) that tax rates along the lines of what Ocasio-Cortez is proposing do not in fact induce the rich to stop earning money. They continue to earn money, but since more of their gains are paid in taxes and since there's a lot the government could be doing to improve our collective lives (free pre-school, for example), those extra revenues improve us as a whole.

And since the extra money the very rich are paying doesn't really affect their lifestyles very much (perhaps they can no longer afford that third yacht), we gain this improvement at very little cost in human terms. --Bob
I really don't give a flying f___ right now about her tax rates thing. More tactical obfuscation.

My core question is how does she get to "Denmark", given the major differences that are obvious between the United States and the conditions present when Denmark, as she sees it was created without slipping on to the track of Venezuela. Without her supporters simply saying she does and ridiculing those who bring up Venezuela.

I submit that, as a country now, we have a lot more in common with pre-Chavez Venezuela than we do with postwar Denmark.

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:26 pm

Spock wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Here's what Paul Krugman has to say about her proposals re top marginal rates.

I really don't give a flying f___ right now about her tax rates thing. More tactical obfuscation.

My core question is how does she get to "Denmark", given the major differences that are obvious between the United States and the conditions present when Denmark, as she sees it was created without slipping on to the track of Venezuela. Without her supporters simply saying she does and ridiculing those who bring up Venezuela.

I submit that, as a country now, we have a lot more in common with pre-Chavez Venezuela than we do with postwar Denmark.
I worked in pre-Chavez Venezuela. The only thing we have in common with them at that time is very high import tariffs.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:28 pm

Bob78164 wrote: Her quote doesn't claim that she's morally right. It says that people are more interested in nitpicking than in grappling with whether her positions are morally right. As someone who can read English, I'm just choosing not to stand silent when you alter Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's meaning to something that better fits your narrative but is farther from the truth. --Bob
This thread demonstrates exactly how the right chooses to deal with (or more accurately, not deal with) AOC. Instead of looking at any of her admittedly general proposals to see if they are desirable, practical, or achievable, they nitpick her to death, claim she's looking to change the US into another Venezuela (it's interesting that they never make any comparisons to Western European countries that have achieved many of the things she wants), or want to impose their idea of her sense of morality on the rest of the world.

I also find it funny that many on the right seem to have no problem whatsoever with imposing their idea of religious morality on the rest of the country.
See, that's funny. The "right" doesn't have to deal with her. She's being toyed with, as in a cat with a laser toy. Not kind, but she'll figger it out.
Well, then

Spock

#17 Post by Spock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:36 pm

I noticed that Denmark and Wisconsin have about the same population.

I wonder why AOC and her fanboys just assume with no evidence that "Denmark" is scalable on a much larger scale. The "Denmark" fans never even address the issue-here or anywhere else that I have seen.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
On the subject of tax rates-I wonder how this worked out for Venezuela in 2011.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-vene ... Z920110426

"Venezuela Oil Tax to Net Billions before Chavez Vote"

>>>New Venezuelan taxes on windfall oil revenue will let socialist President Hugo Chavez boost spending on popular social programs by billions of dollars ahead of his re-election bid next year.<<<

The tax actually sounds pretty Bob-like.

>>>"Chavez announced the top tax of 95 percent last week on “exorbitant” income when crude goes above $100 a barrel. A further rate will take 20 percent from oil income between $40 and $70 per barrel.<<<

Well, they should be "Denmark" by now.

Oh, wait-his supporters are eating rats/cats and dogs-never mind.

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:08 pm

Spock wrote: Well, they should be "Denmark" by now.
Two big differences between Venezuela and Denmark and the United States.

1) An economy that was overwhelmingly dependent on one product (oil) whose price collapsed.

2) The type of corrupt government plagued with bribes and inefficiencies that is common in third world countries, socialist or not.

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Beebs52 wrote: See, that's funny. The "right" doesn't have to deal with her. She's being toyed with, as in a cat with a laser toy. Not kind, but she'll figger it out.
When the best the right has to offer is to recirculate college music videos, it shows how desperate they are to find some way to bring her down. And she pretty much took it in stride and gave it right back to them. I guess the lessons of the youth vote in 2018 haven't quite sunk in with Republicans and they want to compound what they did wrong last time.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#20 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Beebs52 wrote: See, that's funny. The "right" doesn't have to deal with her. She's being toyed with, as in a cat with a laser toy. Not kind, but she'll figger it out.
When the best the right has to offer is to recirculate college music videos, it shows how desperate they are to find some way to bring her down. And she pretty much took it in stride and gave it right back to them. I guess the lessons of the youth vote in 2018 haven't quite sunk in with Republicans and they want to compound what they did wrong last time.
That is truly amusing. Sometimes social media doesn't reflect adult opinions nor voting patterns. She's a Bronx congresscritter. Who cares?
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Spock wrote:

Then your question is too vague to answer intelligibly. What specific policies is Rep. Ocasio-Cortez advocating that you see as problematic? Because I think she wants government to offer a lot more support to lower- and middle-income workers, particularly those with kids, and she wants to pay for those policies by reversing at least part of Donny's tax cut for billionaires. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Beebs52 wrote: Sometimes social media doesn't reflect adult opinions nor voting patterns. She's a Bronx congresscritter. Who cares?
Apparently, the right wingers who keep bringing her name up, including Spock.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Beebs52 wrote: Sometimes social media doesn't reflect adult opinions nor voting patterns. She's a Bronx congresscritter. Who cares?
Apparently, the right wingers who keep bringing her name up, including Spock.
Ah. Her high profile is due to right wing emphasis, like right wing 60 Minutes?
Well, then

Spock

#24 Post by Spock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Spock wrote: Well, they should be "Denmark" by now.
Two big differences between Venezuela and Denmark and the United States.

1) An economy that was overwhelmingly dependent on one product (oil) whose price collapsed.

2) The type of corrupt government plagued with bribes and inefficiencies that is common in third world countries, socialist or not.
Chuckling that you now cite bribes and inefficiencies as a problem in 3rd World countries when I consider that a few years ago in the "They Want to Eat Meat" thread; your prescribed solution to 3rd World problems was to simply send boatloads of cash there without any real concern as to where it was going and not directly employ local people on the ground.

Spock

#25 Post by Spock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:23 pm

Re #1-which I did not address above

SSS>>>Two big differences between Venezuela and Denmark and the United States.

1) An economy that was overwhelmingly dependent on one product (oil) whose price collapsed.<<<

I realize that for you, it will always be simply about the oil price collapsing. However, they do have the 2nd largest oil reserves (I think) in the world and I read at a layman's level of real concern in the broader industry that during the oil industry nationalization they probably irreparably damaged the resource through draining reservoir pressures and so forth.

But for you and your ilk, it will always be simply about the oil price collapse and never about any possible negative consequences of the oil industry nationalization. Beyond what I mentioned, there are obviously other negative aspects to nationalization.