Does Anyone Know...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Does Anyone Know...

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:08 am

... what exactly a national state of emergency entails? I have heard rumors that Trump may use his speech tonight to declare one. I'm intending this as a serious question and not just more snark and politicking.

Does this just mean sending the National Guard out on trash pickup duty in front of the White House? Ordering more furloughed employees back to work without pay? Can he actually appropriate funds from somewhere to either pay employees or get his funding for the wall?

This is usually done in areas hit by natural disasters on a short term basis and it means they qualify for emergency disaster funds. I wouldn't think that would apply to the entire country. I know Harry Truman tried to nationalize the steel mills during the Korean War and got slapped down by the Supreme Court. I'm sure that whatever Trump does will probably wind up in court (perhaps multiple courts) by the end of the week.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Does Anyone Know...

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:19 am

silverscreenselect wrote:... what exactly a national state of emergency entails? I have heard rumors that Trump may use his speech tonight to declare one. I'm intending this as a serious question and not just more snark and politicking.

Does this just mean sending the National Guard out on trash pickup duty in front of the White House? Ordering more furloughed employees back to work without pay? Can he actually appropriate funds from somewhere to either pay employees or get his funding for the wall?

This is usually done in areas hit by natural disasters on a short term basis and it means they qualify for emergency disaster funds. I wouldn't think that would apply to the entire country. I know Harry Truman tried to nationalize the steel mills during the Korean War and got slapped down by the Supreme Court. I'm sure that whatever Trump does will probably wind up in court (perhaps multiple courts) by the end of the week.
Here's what The Atlantic has to say. If it's right, it's actually pretty scary. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

Re: Does Anyone Know...

#3 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:44 am

silverscreenselect wrote:... what exactly a national state of emergency entails? I have heard rumors that Trump may use his speech tonight to declare one. I'm intending this as a serious question and not just more snark and politicking.

I heard rumors he was going to send all bald people to internment camps. I guess it just depends on what websites you peruse.

I bet you both were disappointed he didn't declare a state of emergency. Am I right? C'mon, be honest.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton