$5.7 billion for 234 miles of wall

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

$5.7 billion for 234 miles of wall

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:05 pm

One thing being overlooked in the fuss over the wall is how short the requested wall is. $25 million per mile is absolutely ridiculous!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: $5.7 billion for 234 miles of wall

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Let's say dollars are disputable. Were you against Clinton's wall or Bush's when they were happenin? Just curious if it's just a Trump thing.
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#3 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:19 pm

Whether it works or not, Schumer and Pelosi should give him the money he wants. If it works, fine, money well spent. If it doesn't, it's not like they haven't wasted 5 billion before. Perhaps Chucky and Nancy can arrange to get kickbacks, and make it worth it to them.

In 2013, we gave Mexico almost a half billion in economic and military aid. Let's take that for 10 years and there you go!

Not to be 'without evidence':

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... otals-ove/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_foreign_aid
Last edited by flockofseagulls104 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

franktangredi

#4 Post by franktangredi » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:22 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Whether it works or not, Schumer and Pelosi should give him the money he wants. If it works, fine, money well spent. If it doesn't, it's not like they haven't wasted 5 billion before.
I'm not sure "just give him what he wants" is a good principle or a good precedent for ANY President.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:23 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Let's say dollars are disputable. Were you against Clinton's wall or Bush's when they were happenin? Just curious if it's just a Trump thing.
I don't recall President Clinton or (either) President Bush wanting money to build a wall in the middle of a freakin' desert, which is what Donny's talking about. That's why every single Congressman who represents any land on the border (including Rep. Will Hurd (R-TX), who represents more of the border by length than any other Member of the House) opposes the wall. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#6 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:31 pm

franktangredi wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:Whether it works or not, Schumer and Pelosi should give him the money he wants. If it works, fine, money well spent. If it doesn't, it's not like they haven't wasted 5 billion before.
I'm not sure "just give him what he wants" is a good principle or a good precedent for ANY President.
I'm not sure 'not a penny for the wall' is a good principle either. Especially just a few years ago, all these idiots voted for $25 billion for a barrier.

Evidence:
https://thefederalist.com/2019/01/02/cl ... -2006-not/
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:54 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
I'm not sure 'not a penny for the wall' is a good principle either. Especially just a few years ago, all these idiots voted for $25 billion for a barrier.

Evidence:
The border protections that some of the Democrats supported were based on need and terrain (and were also a compromise based on some much harsher alternative proposed legislation) and not the type of Great Wall of China that Trump envisions. And as anyone who knows about the border will tell you, it's already riddled with tunnels in the San Diego and El Paso areas where they run drugs through there.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... wall-2006/

Trump's wall isn't about security; it's all about his ego, as he demonstrated when he stormed out of the meeting today. If he was concerned about security, he would worry more about the damage he's causing by the shutdown in terms of air traffic safety and also existing border patrols, both of which are being harmed considerably by what's going on.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:25 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
franktangredi wrote:

Evidence:
The border protections that some of the Democrats supported were based on need and terrain (and were also a compromise based on some much harsher alternative proposed legislation) and not the type of Great Wall of China that Trump envisions. And as anyone who knows about the border will tell you, it's already riddled with tunnels in the San Diego and El Paso areas where they run drugs through there.

Trump's wall isn't about security; it's all about his ego, as he demonstrated when he stormed out of the meeting today. If he was concerned about security, he would worry more about the damage he's causing by the shutdown in terms of air traffic safety and also existing border patrols, both of which are being harmed considerably by what's going on.
Let's not forget all the food inspections that are no longer happening due to the shutdown. If there's an outbreak of food-borne illness soon, it'll be squarely on Donny's shoulders. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:42 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: I'm not sure 'not a penny for the wall' is a good principle either. Especially just a few years ago, all these idiots voted for $25 billion for a barrier.

Evidence:

Let's not forget all the food inspections that are no longer happening due to the shutdown. If there's an outbreak of food-borne illness soon, it'll be squarely on Donny's shoulders. --Bob
The USDA inspectors are still working, they just aren't getting paid.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:00 pm

Bob78164 wrote: If there's an outbreak of food-borne illness soon, it'll be squarely on Donny's shoulders. --Bob
No. It will be squarely on the shoulders of those who will not approve what they've previously voted for and/or lobbied for, but won't now for the single reason that it will give Trump a "win".
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:29 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote: If there's an outbreak of food-borne illness soon, it'll be squarely on Donny's shoulders. --Bob
No. It will be squarely on the shoulders of those who will not approve what they've previously voted for and/or lobbied for, but won't now for the single reason that it will give Trump a "win".
False. It's the Republican Senate that is refusing even to consider a bill that it unanimously passed less than a month ago, merely because Donny doesn't like it any more. And Democrats have never voted for or lobbied for a wall in the middle of a fucking desert because no one before Donny has ever been stupid enough to ask for one.

Donny is going to lose this fight for exactly the right reason -- the American people don't support him on this issue. The only remaining question is how much damage his fellow Republicans in the Senate will allow him to do before they force him to cave. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#12 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:59 pm

franktangredi wrote:

Evidence:

They rate it 'half true' because the dems voted for a less substantial wall? What? It's ok to them as long as it's not too much of a barrier?
Trump has scaled down what he wants to build, and it's based on what experts and the border security people say will be effective.

It's all about TDS. You have a very severe case of it.

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:39 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: I'm not sure 'not a penny for the wall' is a good principle either. Especially just a few years ago, all these idiots voted for $25 billion for a barrier.

Evidence:

They rate it 'half true' because the dems voted for a less substantial wall? What? It's ok to them as long as it's not too much of a barrier?
Trump has scaled down what he wants to build, and it's based on what experts and the border security people say will be effective.

How are just 234 miles of wall going to be effective?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:20 am

Evidence:

Bull. No one with any expertise on the subject, or the ability to think independently, thinks it will be effective. Indeed, merely by claiming the wall will be effective, any purported expert would cast serious doubt on his or her expertise.

That's why Donny couldn't get it through when Republicans controlled both Houses of Congress. That's why a clear majority of the American people oppose wasting money on the wall. Because it's a dumb and hideously expensive idea. --Bob

Estonut
Evil Genius

#15 Post by Estonut » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:49 am

Bob78164 wrote:And Democrats have never voted for or lobbied for a wall in the middle of a fucking desert because no one before Donny has ever been stupid enough to ask for one.
You've mentioned the middle of a fucking desert at least twice now. Why is the desert a bad place to build a border wall, but a great place to build a no-longer-as-promised bullet train from nowhere to nowhere?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:50 am

Bob78164 wrote:... why a clear majority of the American people oppose wasting money on the wall.
Cite?
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:21 am

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:And Democrats have never voted for or lobbied for a wall in the middle of a fucking desert because no one before Donny has ever been stupid enough to ask for one.
You've mentioned the middle of a fucking desert at least twice now. Why is the desert a bad place to build a border wall, but a great place to build a no-longer-as-promised bullet train from nowhere to nowhere?
I see you're running for King of Whataboutistan too.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#18 Post by Estonut » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:43 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
I see you're running for King of Whataboutistan too.
I see you're the King of Moronistan for life. Learn a new word, or at least learn what that one means.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:47 am

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:... why a clear majority of the American people oppose wasting money on the wall.
Cite?
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/08/poli ... index.html

Harry Enten does the political polling analysis for fivethirtyeight.com.
But Trump is facing an uphill climb: polls show a majority of Americans blame him and Republicans for the shutdowns, and the majority have also consistently been opposed to his idea of a border wall with Mexico.

flockofseagulls104

#20 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:08 am

Estonut wrote:
Cite?

But Trump is facing an uphill climb: polls show a majority of Americans blame him and Republicans for the shutdowns, and the majority have also consistently been opposed to his idea of a border wall with Mexico.
https://thehill.com/opinion/immigration ... to-believe

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:27 am

Estonut wrote:
I would have thought that it's obvious why it's stupid to build a wall in the middle of the desert. It's because people have plenty of time and privacy to do this.

What's that you say? Human and electronic detection would intervene? Then why do we need a wall there at all? It's not like border-crossers could blend into the crowd there. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:35 am

Estonut wrote:Cite?

Flock, your "source" is an article that's over a year old that takes issue with the sampling of one poll. The results of the recent election might lead you to question the reasons for that writer's skepticism. And Enten has been reviewing the trend of more recent polls on the subject.

flockofseagulls104

#23 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:30 am

Flock, your "source" is an article that's over a year old that takes issue with the sampling of one poll. The results of the recent election might lead you to question the reasons for that writer's skepticism. And Enten has been reviewing the trend of more recent polls on the subject.
aSSShole, your "source" is bullshit, too. OK? The fact is: it's not a popularity poll issue. It's what the people of the border patrol say is necessary to control people coming into this country illegally. No amount of political grandstanding by Schumer and Pelosi will change that fact.

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:00 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: OK? The fact is: it's not a popularity poll issue. It's what the people of the border patrol say is necessary to control people coming into this country illegally.
Perhaps you forgot that we live in democracy (or at least a democratic republic), not a third world military dictatorship. The border patrol does not make our policy. Our elected representatives do and right now Schumer and Pelosi are listening to the will of the people. Further, there is no consensus of opinion regarding the best method of border security, and, even if there was, it's up to Congress to prioritize what we spend money on. No amount of political grandstanding by you and Trump will change those facts.

Bob Juch

#25 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:14 pm

aSSShole, your "source" is bullshit, too. OK? The fact is: it's not a popularity poll issue. It's what the people of the border patrol say is necessary to control people coming into this country illegally. No amount of political grandstanding by Schumer and Pelosi will change that fact.
Here are some that don't: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/border-pat ... rder-wall/