$5.7 billion for 234 miles of wall

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: $5.7 billion for 234 miles of wall

#26 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: OK? The fact is: it's not a popularity poll issue. It's what the people of the border patrol say is necessary to control people coming into this country illegally.
Perhaps you forgot that we live in democracy (or at least a democratic republic), not a third world military dictatorship. The border patrol does not make our policy. Our elected representatives do and right now Schumer and Pelosi are listening to the will of the people. Further, there is no consensus of opinion regarding the best method of border security, and, even if there was, it's up to Congress to prioritize what we spend money on. No amount of political grandstanding by you and Trump will change those facts.
I think you've forgotten that flock is talking about the Border Patrol personnel that Donny hand-picked to serve as his backdrop. So of course flock considers their position more credible and better informed than that of pretty much everyone else on the face of the planet. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#27 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:24 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: I'm not sure 'not a penny for the wall' is a good principle either. Especially just a few years ago, all these idiots voted for $25 billion for a barrier.

Evidence:
https://thefederalist.com/2019/01/02/cl ... -2006-not/
The border protections that some of the Democrats supported were based on need and terrain (and were also a compromise based on some much harsher alternative proposed legislation) and not the type of Great Wall of China that Trump envisions. And as anyone who knows about the border will tell you, it's already riddled with tunnels in the San Diego and El Paso areas where they run drugs through there.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... wall-2006/

Trump's wall isn't about security; it's all about his ego, as he demonstrated when he stormed out of the meeting today. If he was concerned about security, he would worry more about the damage he's causing by the shutdown in terms of air traffic safety and also existing border patrols, both of which are being harmed considerably by what's going on.
Let's not forget all the food inspections that are no longer happening due to the shutdown. If there's an outbreak of food-borne illness soon, it'll be squarely on Donny's shoulders. --Bob
You are an absolute hoot!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#28 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:13 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
The border protections that some of the Democrats supported were based on need and terrain (and were also a compromise based on some much harsher alternative proposed legislation) and not the type of Great Wall of China that Trump envisions. And as anyone who knows about the border will tell you, it's already riddled with tunnels in the San Diego and El Paso areas where they run drugs through there.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... wall-2006/

Trump's wall isn't about security; it's all about his ego, as he demonstrated when he stormed out of the meeting today. If he was concerned about security, he would worry more about the damage he's causing by the shutdown in terms of air traffic safety and also existing border patrols, both of which are being harmed considerably by what's going on.
Let's not forget all the food inspections that are no longer happening due to the shutdown. If there's an outbreak of food-borne illness soon, it'll be squarely on Donny's shoulders. --Bob
And he's wrong; they are exempt.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#29 Post by Estonut » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:16 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Let's not forget all the food inspections that are no longer happening due to the shutdown. If there's an outbreak of food-borne illness soon, it'll be squarely on Donny's shoulders.
Wrong? How can that be? He personally and painstakingly researches every claim he posts!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#30 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:26 am

Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:You are an absolute hoot!
Wrong? How can that be? He personally and painstakingly researches every claim he posts!
It does happen, but not this time. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#31 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:22 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:And he's wrong; they are exempt.
It does happen, but not this time. --Bob
The FDA is responsible for non-meat food safety; they don't inspect each item. The USDA is responsible for meat; they are still working.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

#32 Post by jarnon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:31 am

Another casualty of the shutdown:

I didn't realize the State of the Union is a national special security event. (Apparently that's a new policy, but it makes sense.) You shouldn't give unpaid Secret Service and DHS employees all that extra work.

Though the letter sounds like a polite request, Majority Leader Hoyer says that Pelosi's decision is final.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

tlynn78

#33 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:08 pm

jarnon wrote:Another casualty of the shutdown:

I didn't realize the State of the Union is a national special security event. (Apparently that's a new policy, but it makes sense.) You shouldn't give unpaid Secret Service and DHS employees all that extra work.

Though the letter sounds like a polite request, Majority Leader Hoyer says that Pelosi's decision is final.

Worried about her security? That's not ironic, at all.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jarnon

#34 Post by jarnon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:49 pm

tlynn78 wrote:Worried about her security? That's not ironic, at all.
No doubt the Secret Service and DHS can handle it. But she doesn't want to give employees, already working hard without pay, an additional non-essential task. You can disagree with an agency's policies and still care about the workers. It's like opposing the Iraq war but supporting the troops.

I have an alternative: A bare bones address with just Trump, a couple of White House staff, members of Congress and a C-Span camera crew. It wouldn't be a national special security event, and Capitol Police could handle security. The empty gallery would be a visual reminder of the shutdown.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#35 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:04 pm

jarnon wrote:I didn't realize the State of the Union is a national special security event. (Apparently that's a new policy, but it makes sense.)
It's been that way since the pilot episode of Designated Survivor.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#36 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:10 pm

jarnon wrote: I have an alternative: A bare bones address with just Trump, a couple of White House staff, members of Congress and a C-Span camera crew. It wouldn't be a national special security event, and Capitol Police could handle security. The empty gallery would be a visual reminder of the shutdown.
This post is meant to be non-political, but if Trump could talk for ten minutes about one topic from the Oval Office, then couldn't he just as easily talk for an hour on the State of the Union. And not just Trump but any president. Do we really need to fly dozens of people into Washington to sit in the gallery and take a bow and then go through the show of people on one party wildly applauding while the other party looks uncomfortable and sits on its hands.

The State of the Union Address is now far more about posturing and politicking and showmanship than about reporting on the State of the Union and the President's plans for the upcoming year. And that's regardless of who is President.

Here's the Constitutional provision:
The President “shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.”
If a written report could satisfy that requirement in the 1800s, then a televised message (perhaps with CC sent to each member of Congress) should satisfy that in the 2000s.
Last edited by silverscreenselect on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarnon

#37 Post by jarnon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:12 pm

jarnon wrote:I didn't realize the State of the Union is a national special security event. (Apparently that's a new policy, but it makes sense.)
It's been that way since the pilot episode of Designated Survivor.
Don't forget the final chapter of Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor, written in 1994.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#38 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:01 am

It didn't take long for at least one Republican in the new House minority to desert the sinking ship. Rep. Tom Marino of PA's 12th district is resigning for unspecified business reasons, effective next week. The announcement came two weeks into his fifth term (although he was redistricted from the 10th into the 12th in 2018). Since Marino was just re-elected with 66% of the vote, odds are that the district will stay Republican. Under PA law, the parties pick the nominees for the special election, so there are no primaries.

Bob Juch

#39 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:18 am

silverscreenselect wrote:It didn't take long for at least one Republican in the new House minority to desert the sinking ship. Rep. Tom Marino of PA's 12th district is resigning for unspecified business reasons, effective next week. The announcement came two weeks into his fifth term (although he was redistricted from the 10th into the 12th in 2018). Since Marino was just re-elected with 66% of the vote, odds are that the district will stay Republican. Under PA law, the parties pick the nominees for the special election, so there are no primaries.
It's rumored that he's going to work for a drug company as a lobbyist.

jarnon

#40 Post by jarnon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:21 pm

Donald J. Trump wrote:As the Shutdown was going on, Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over. I am not looking for an alternative venue for the SOTU Address because there is no venue that can compete with the history, tradition and importance of the House Chamber. I look forward to giving a “great” State of the Union Address in the near future!
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#41 Post by jarnon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:43 pm

I don't know whether it's because of the State of the Union or grounded airplanes, but the shutdown is ending.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#42 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:43 pm

jarnon wrote:I don't know whether it's because of the State of the Union or grounded airplanes, but the shutdown is ending.
For three weeks. Rince and repeat.