There's nothing new under the sun

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

There's nothing new under the sun

#1 Post by jarnon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:33 pm

This Western was broadcast on CBS 60 years ago.

If you don't want to watch it all, the best part is from the 6 to 10 minute marks.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

Re: There's nothing new under the sun

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Here are pictures of actor Lawrence Dobkin and Fred Trump. I have read that Fred Trump's real estate dealings were somewhat well known in some circles (Woody Guthrie, a Trump tenant, wrote an unflattering song that mentioned him by name), and that he had a reputation as a huckster and a racist. This article posits that someone involved in the making of the show may have used the name Trump as a dig against Fred. It's also possible that a 12-year-old Donald might have seen the episode and been unconsciously influenced by it. The Trump character on the show talks about how "I alone" can protect the people from the upcoming destruction.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/a- ... h-movement

In fairness, the wall that he mentions (only on one occasion in the episode) is a "wall" of paper parasols with mystical occult markings that will protect the townspeople and which he sells to them for $50 apiece.

Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: There's nothing new under the sun

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:05 pm

Thanks for hauling this one out of the mothballs, Jarnon. I had no idea a program by the name of Trackdown every existed, much less starring the handsome and debonair Robert Culp. It was eerie, especially as SSS notes, the "I alone" part.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller