Transcript 05/06/2008 Rich Woodhull

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/06/2008 Rich Woodhull

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue May 06, 2008 6:44 pm

Rich Woodhull
Hoboken, NJ
Bartender

Calls himself the best bartender in NYC

Had a marathon study session by watching taped episodes of WWTBAM and pausing to answer each question or use a lifeline

$100- Which of these landscapes is described on the EPA's Web site as "a vegetation community dominated by trees"?
A. Forest B. Desert
C. Ice cap D. Wolf Blitzer's forearms

$200- By definition, what should you write on the back of a check if you want to endorse it?
A. Your phone number B. The date
C. Your signature D. The time

$300- Once used to denote exclamatory inquiries, the interrobang is a punctuation mark that combines an exclamation point and a what?
A. Semicolon B. Colon
C. Dollar sign D. Question mark

$500- Fittingly, the name of what tough-shelled animal derives from the Spanish word for "armored"?
A. Armadillo B. Anteater
C. Anaconda D. Aardvark

$1000-When used to refer to an international defense organization, the acronym "NATO" features a "T" that stands for what?
A. Tactical B. Treaty
C. Technology D. Transit

$2000- A young man's quest to find himself in the backwoods of Alaska is the subject of a 2007 film with what title?
A. Into the Air B. Into the Desert
C. Into the Sea D. Into the Wild

$4000- Which of these soft drinks is most likely to contain sarsaparilla?
A. Root beer B. Cream soda
C. Orange soda D. Ginger ale

Says that his customers are not likely to go for sarsaparilla.

ATA
A-70% B-15%
C-2% D-13%

$8000- Completed in 1894, the world-famous Tower Bridge spans what European river?
A. Seine B. Danube
C. Thames D. Rhine

Commercial Break

Rich has a special coin in his pocket from a friend in the reserves who recently came home from Iraq.

$16,000
Airing on cable in 2007, the acclaimed documentary series "Planet Earth" is narrated by what actress?
A. Glenn Close B. Sigourney Weaver
C. Meryl Streep D. Susan Sarandon

PAF: Don, uncle, says he is not 100% but would guess Sigourney Weaver. When asked what percent sure he said 25%.

50/50 left B & C. Rich said he was not playing "Who Wants to Win $8000"

$25,000
The conglomerate headed by billionaire Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway began as what type of company?
A. Oil B. Textile
C. Logging D. Cattle

Rich does not know and does not feel like guessing again. He leaves with $16,000.

Answers:
$100- A. Forest
$200- C. Your signature
$300- D. Question mark
$500- A. Armadillo
$1000- B. Treaty
$2000- D. Into the Wild
$4000- A. Root beer
$8000- C. Thames
$16K- B. Sigourney Weaver
$25K- B. Textile

Commercial break

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 05/06/2008 Rich Woodhull

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed May 07, 2008 3:56 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Rich Woodhull
Hoboken, NJ
Bartender
WE® and a MAWG®

$16K: No clue. Try the audience first. PAF only if their choice is not definitive.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Wed May 07, 2008 5:47 am

Hoboken, NJ
Bartender

I think this qualifies him as a WE/WE®
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Had a marathon study session by watching taped episodes of WWTBAM and pausing to answer each question or use a lifeline
Nice preparation, but why do I hear the ominous organ music in the background?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000- Which of these soft drinks is most likely to contain sarsaparilla?
A. Root beer B. Cream soda
C. Orange soda D. Ginger ale

Says that his customers are not likely to go for sarsaparilla.

ATA
A-70% B-15%
C-2% D-13%
I'm no expert on mixed drinks, but there aren't very many that are made with root beer, so perhaps Rich can be forgiven for not knowing this.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
Airing on cable in 2007, the acclaimed documentary series "Planet Earth" is narrated by what actress?

PAF: Don, uncle, says he is not 100% but would guess Sigourney Weaver. When asked what percent sure he said 25%.

50/50 left B & C. Rich said he was not playing "Who Wants to Win $8000"
Bad on Don for such a poor PAF response and good on Rich for going for it. Having watched this series I knew the answer. It's a great series, BTW.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
The conglomerate headed by billionaire Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway began as what type of company?
A. Oil B. Textile
C. Logging D. Cattle

Rich does not know and does not feel like guessing again. He leaves with $16,000.
Time for a lifeline here. I have absolutely no idea, so I must PAF.

Afterward Meredith mentioned "Hathaway shirts" but I've never heard of that brand.

So I'd be going for $50K with ATA, 50/50 and STQ remaining.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Wed May 07, 2008 6:57 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
A. Oil B. Textile
C. Logging D. Cattle

Time for a lifeline here. I have absolutely no idea, so I must PAF.

Afterward Meredith mentioned "Hathaway shirts" but I've never heard of that brand.
The Hathaway Man is an icon of '50's and '60's advertising, created by David Ogilvy, one of the real innovators of advertising. Rugged and sophisticated type in a white shirt and slacks, with an eye patch. Meredith being my age, she would also remember him. I'm not sure he has been used since the '70's, though.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:45 am

Hoboken, NJ
Bartender

Had a marathon study session by watching taped episodes of WWTBAM and pausing to answer each question or use a lifeline
Just in case TPTB mess up and re-use a stack of questions?

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 07, 2008 8:32 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$16,000

Well, I'm not going to vote of Don to enter the PAF Hall of Fame. From the context, Don made it clear he was just guessing and didn't have any certainty for favoring one guess over another. That's no worse than saying, "I don't know."

He can be dinged for not having Google ready, but so can lots of PAFs.

And I'd have needed the ATA on this one. And maybe the PAF on Berkshire Hathaway. Although I've heard of Hathaway shirts, I didn't know that was this company's first line of work. And being headquartered in Omaha had me distracted with the cattle answer.

Edited because one period inside the quotations will do for the one outside, but a comma really ought to precede the quotations. Rules are rules!
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Wed May 07, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Appa23

#7 Post by Appa23 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:05 am

Interesting timing that the Buffett question appeared in a show airing right after the annual BH stockholders meeting, aka "Buffettpalooza".

(Somehow, I did not run into Bill Gates and Bono as they milled about town. :lol: )

Anyway, both Berkshire and Hathaway were milling companies that merged. Soon thereafter, business turned for the worse. Despite plant closings, Buffett bought Berkshire Hathaway stock, thinking that it was undervalued. He soon accumulated enough stock to "take over" the company from the son of the founder of Hathaway. He then let someone else run the milling side of the house. He oversaw the financial end of things, and quickly decided to get into the insurance game, where he could use cash from premiums to acquire stocks and bonds as investments that also could be easily liquidated to pay off claims. The rest is history.

Insurance would have been the wicked distractor, especially with the Omaha connection.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed May 07, 2008 9:08 am

Appa23 wrote:Interesting timing that the Buffett question appeared in a show airing right after the annual BH stockholders meeting, aka "Buffettpalooza".

(Somehow, I did not run into Bill Gates and Bono as they milled about town. :lol: )

Anyway, both Berkshire and Hathaway were milling companies that merged. Soon thereafter, business turned for the worse. Despite plant closings, Buffett bought Berkshire Hathaway stock, thinking that it was undervalued. He soon accumulated enough stock to "take over" the company from the son of the founder of Hathaway. He then let someone else run the milling side of the house. He oversaw the financial end of things, and quickly decided to get into the insurance game, where he could use cash from premiums to acquire stocks and bonds as investments that also could be easily liquidated to pay off claims. The rest is history.

Insurance would have been the wicked distractor, especially with the Omaha connection.
I was actually expecting to see "insurance" as one of the four choices, and would have gone with that right away.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."