The Democrats Won the Suburbs-Now Will They Destroy Them

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

The Democrats Won the Suburbs-Now Will They Destroy Them

#1 Post by Spock » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:40 am

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-democ ... stroy-them

Joel Kotkin is described by the NYT as America's Uber Geographer

The column references recent events in Minneapolis that I have been following from afar (and laughing myself silly over).

The city was zoned 60% single family residential and they are in the process of wiping that out as a zoning category in favor of promoting denser housing. As you might imagine, that policy is not the most popular among affluent liberals with nice houses in upscale southwest Minneapolis.

Oh well-Ha, ha ha ha.

silverscreenselect

Re: The Democrats Won the Suburbs-Now Will They Destroy Them

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:55 am

Spock wrote:The city was zoned 60% single family residential and they are in the process of wiping that out as a zoning category in favor of promoting denser housing..
Well, if you look past the hype and look at the source article, here's what you find:
Under the plan, duplexes and triplexes would be allowed in neighborhoods that only previously allowed single-family housing.
Yes, that's denser housing. It's also more affordable housing. It's not slum housing. It's not putting a housing project next door to your home. We have these townhouse communities all over Atlanta and nobody seems to mind. Some of these units sell for a lot more than single family homes in many parts of town. People who still want and can afford single family homes will find someone to build them.

https://www.housingwire.com/articles/47 ... ial-zoning
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:04 am

SSS, yeah, in your 2 posts you said nothing I didn't know.

But color me shocked that you are in favor higher density. If you had read deeper, instead of just "proving Spock wrong" here is a paragraph at the core of the philosophy.

>>>"To be sure, the pressure on these newly elected suburban Democrats to abandon their new constituents could be intense. Victoria Fierce, one of the leaders of the tech-funded YIMBY pro-density lobby in California, favors relentless densification because it promotes “collectivism”—thinking that also, incidentally, formed urban planning orthodoxy in the late, great Soviet Union. Lily Geismer, an associate professor of history at Claremont McKenna College, thinks suburbanites should be punished for their “hoarding” of everything from their children’s education to the clear skies where big new developments should be erected."<<<

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:10 am

I doubt that Fierce and Geismer represent typical suburban Democrats, even in California. Certainly not in Minnesota or Pennsylvania.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:27 am

jarnon wrote:I doubt that Fierce and Geismer represent typical suburban Democrats, even in California. Certainly not in Minnesota or Pennsylvania.
Not remotely close. Governor Newsom is supporting housing. Lots and lots of it, I hope. Because he understands that more inventory means lower housing costs for everyone. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:02 am

Bob78164 wrote:
jarnon wrote:I doubt that Fierce and Geismer represent typical suburban Democrats, even in California. Certainly not in Minnesota or Pennsylvania.
Not remotely close. Governor Newsom is supporting housing. Lots and lots of it, I hope. Because he understands that more inventory means lower housing costs for everyone. --Bob
you guys can tell yourselves that, but per the article hyperlinked to Oregon the Speaker of the Oregon House is pushing a bill to wipe out single family zoning as a category. The same change that was recently made in Minneapolis.

Fierce and Gosmer may not represent typical suburban Democrats, but they are getting their way. Besides, it doesn't matter if Fierce and Gosmer are typical Democrat politicians.

The theme of the article is looking at which side Democrats as will come down on. Will they be fierce advocates for Single family residential or will they betray those constituents and wipe out SFR as a zoning category and eventually as housing choice.