Melly Mel re: Philly Special

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Earl the Squirrel

Melly Mel re: Philly Special

#1 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:04 pm

So my sister and I started a tradition last year of going on a week's vacation just the two of us, in order to expand our boundaries and get the stink blown off of us (dadism!).

Last year was Las Vegas and it probably won't be repeated because......damn, WTF happened to Vegas? I know that the only constant is change and nothing stays the same, but old time Vegas is truly dead. Dead and gone. I hear they've even got a new roller skating rink laid out over the OK Corral.....

Anyway, we've now got this year's cities shortlisted and one of them is..... Lick Skillet, Kentucky!!!!!1

Just kidding.

San Francisco/San Jose
Santa Fe
New Orleans
Philadelphia

So, here's the obvious Question of Major Importance:

Geno's or Pat's?

Bob Juch

Re: Melly Mel re: Philly Special

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 pm

Earl the Squirrel wrote:So my sister and I started a tradition last year of going on a week's vacation just the two of us, in order to expand our boundaries and get the stink blown off of us (dadism!).

Last year was Las Vegas and it probably won't be repeated because......damn, WTF happened to Vegas? I know that the only constant is change and nothing stays the same, but old time Vegas is truly dead. Dead and gone. I hear they've even got a new roller skating rink laid out over the OK Corral.....

Anyway, we've now got this year's cities shortlisted and one of them is..... Lick Skillet, Kentucky!!!!!1

Just kidding.

San Francisco/San Jose
Santa Fe
New Orleans
Philadelphia

Geno's or Pat's?
Geno's!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mellytu74

#3 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:46 pm

Earl the Squirrel wrote:So my sister and I started a tradition last year of going on a week's vacation just the two of us, in order to expand our boundaries and get the stink blown off of us (dadism!).

Just kidding.

San Francisco/San Jose
Santa Fe
New Orleans
Philadelphia

Geno's or Pat's?

[b]NEITHER[/b]!!!!!

John's Roast Pork (yes, fine steaks from a pork place)

Jim's on South Street

Cosmi's on South Street, not far from Pat's and Geno's

Tony Luke's (Oregon Avenue)

Campo's on Market Street (not far from Independence Hall).

triviawayne

#4 Post by triviawayne » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:31 am

Just kidding.

San Francisco/San Jose
Santa Fe
New Orleans
Philadelphia

Geno's or Pat's?
why not both? One goes to Geno's, the other to Pat's, and cut the sandwiches in half. Don't let us decide for you.

Geno's has flash, but Pat's is just fine.

My wife and I both preferred Pat's.

Earl the Squirrel

#5 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:37 pm

mellytu74 wrote:

Just kidding.

San Francisco/San Jose
Santa Fe
New Orleans
Philadelphia

Geno's or Pat's?

[b]NEITHER[/b]!!!!!

Jim's on South Street

Whee, doggies!!!!!1 You''re coming with us, right? Right????

RIght now, Philadelphia is #4 on the list, mostly because it's the longest in distance and the most expensive, but I'll let you know if it makes the next cut! It wouldn't be until late June at the earliest. Because we have to wait until Our Denver Nuggets win the Finals, right? Right??? And then part of the fam has a long standing pact to all go get commemorative Nuggets!!1 tattoos after their first 'ship.

Earl the Squirrel

#6 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:42 pm

triviawayne wrote:

Just kidding.

San Francisco/San Jose
Santa Fe
New Orleans
Philadelphia

Geno's or Pat's?
why not both? One goes to Geno's, the other to Pat's, and cut the sandwiches in half. Don't let us decide for you.

Alas, splitsies don't work with that girl. She'll only tolerate meat and, if she's feeling adventurous, cheese on a sandwich. We're lucky she allows sauce on a pizza....

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:51 am

Earl the Squirrel wrote:And then part of the fam has a long standing pact to all go get commemorative Nuggets!!1 tattoos after their first 'ship.
That's a painful spot for a tattoo! :)
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#8 Post by triviawayne » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 am

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

Just kidding.

San Francisco/San Jose
Santa Fe
New Orleans
Philadelphia

Geno's or Pat's?

Alas, splitsies don't work with that girl. She'll only tolerate meat and, if she's feeling adventurous, cheese on a sandwich. We're lucky she allows sauce on a pizza....
Then I'm not sure why you're even asking...

so what's stopping you from going to both and having half of each sandwich?

Earl the Squirrel

#9 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:00 am

triviawayne wrote:
1. You might note that I was asking a specific person

and

2. you might note that person was not you

therefore

3. the reasoning behind my question was not meant to be apparent to you

nevertheless

4. I was cordial and politely responded to your unasked for opinion

subsequently

5. you got all rude

Conclusion:

There are more things in heaven and earth, triviawayne, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Mel. Because she said so.

Catfish

#10 Post by Catfish » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:35 am

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

and

therefore

nevertheless

subsequently

5. you got all rude

Conclusion:

There are more things in heaven and earth, triviawayne, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
I love you, Earl.
—K. Fish
Catfish

triviawayne

#11 Post by triviawayne » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:43 pm

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

and

therefore

nevertheless

subsequently

5. you got all rude

Conclusion:

1. Where were you asking the specific person--I've read this a few times and still don't see it

2. I would not that if I could see it

3. hence, the "I'm not sure why you're asking"

4. well thank you for that I guess

5. see, this is me being rude: if you want to ask a specific person a question and not have it answered by anyone else, there is private message

conclusion: you don't know what PM is?

that is all, you have a wonderful time in Philly if you go there

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:10 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Earl the Squirrel wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

and

therefore

nevertheless

subsequently

5. you got all rude

Conclusion:

1. Where were you asking the specific person--I've read this a few times and still don't see it

2. I would not that if I could see it

3. hence, the "I'm not sure why you're asking"

4. well thank you for that I guess

5. see, this is me being rude: if you want to ask a specific person a question and not have it answered by anyone else, there is private message

conclusion: you don't know what PM is?

that is all, you have a wonderful time in Philly if you go there
The thread title----Melly Mel. Mellytu? She lives in Philly. Earl was axing Mel...
Well, then

mellytu74

#13 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:44 am

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:

Just kidding.

San Francisco/San Jose
Santa Fe
New Orleans
Philadelphia

Geno's or Pat's?

[b]NEITHER[/b]!!!!!

Jim's on South Street

Whee, doggies!!!!!1 You''re coming with us, right? Right????

RIght now, Philadelphia is #4 on the list, mostly because it's the longest in distance and the most expensive, but I'll let you know if it makes the next cut! It wouldn't be until late June at the earliest. Because we have to wait until Our Denver Nuggets win the Finals, right? Right??? And then part of the fam has a long standing pact to all go get commemorative Nuggets!!1 tattoos after their first 'ship.
Would love to join you should you come here!!!

If you DO end up at 9th and Passayunk, go with Pat's. I think the customer ambiance is better. Although the Geno sign is gorgeous in its gaudiness

There is also a terrific place in Reading Terminal Market and you can take care of two must-see/do at once.

There are great cheesesteak places in the neighborhoods - Dallesandro's in Roxborough and John's Steaks and Shakes in Bridesburg. If you come, I will drive you there and we can comparison eat.