trump endangers security again

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

trump endangers security again

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:57 pm

Today trump fired back at Nancy Pelosi by sending her this letter:
Dear Madam Speaker:

Due to the Shutdown, I am sorry to inform you that your trip to Brussels, Egypt and Afghanistan has been postponed. We will reschedule this seven-day excursion when the Shutdown is over. In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I am sure you would agree that during this period, it would be better if you were in Washington negotiating with me and joining the Strong Border Security movement to end the Shutdown. Obviously, if you would like to make your journey by flying commercial, that would certainly be your prerogative.

I look forward to seeing you soon and even more forward to watching our open and dangerous Southern Border finally receive the attention, funding, and security it so desperately deserves!
One big problem: The trip has not been announced and the Speaker's office had asked the press to not mention it for security concerns.
Last edited by Bob Juch on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

Re: trump endangers security again

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Today trump fired back at Nancy Pelosi by sending her this letter:
Dear Madam Speaker:

Due to the Shutdown, I am sorry to inform you that your trip to Brussels, Egypt and Afghanistan has been postponed. We will reschedule this seven-day excursion when the Shutdown is over. In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I am sure you would agree that during this period, it would be better if you were in Washington negotiating with me and joining the Strong Border Security movement to end the Shutdown. Obviously, if you would like to make your journey by flying commercial, that would certainly be your prerogative.

I look forward to seeing you soon and even more forward to watching our open and dangerous Southern Border finally receive the attention, funding, and security it so desperately deserves!
One big problem: The trip has not been announced and the Speaker's office had asked the press to not mention is for security concerns.

:roll: :roll: and me without my pearls to clutch.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:05 pm

How?

You don’t really think Pelosi would go on her own dime, do you?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:58 am

BackInTex wrote:How?

You don’t really think Pelosi would go on her own dime, do you?
Trump issued the order as the Democratic delegation was preparing to head to the airport, so they didn't really have time to make alternate plans. And, since there's no commercial traffic to Afghanistan, it's a moot question as to whether Pelosi would go there on her own dime or not.

I actually think that if they had enough time (they were scheduled to meet various NATO officials in Belgium), she would have rescheduled commercial at least that part of the trip.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:00 am

silverscreenselect wrote:I actually think that if they had enough time (they were scheduled to meet various NATO officials in Belgium), she would have rescheduled commercial at least that part of the trip.
Really? Did they not have enough time to schedule it commercial in the first place?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:15 am

Estonut wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:I actually think that if they had enough time (they were scheduled to meet various NATO officials in Belgium), she would have rescheduled commercial at least that part of the trip.
Really? Did they not have enough time to schedule it commercial in the first place?
Per Pelosi's spokesman quoted in the article below, the plane needed to stop somewhere in Europe for pilot rest. They used that opportunity to schedule the meeting with NATO officials. Republican Congressional delegations have flown military during this shutdown. And, by the way:

Melania Trump flies to Florida on Air Force jet for weekend vacation
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:01 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Per Pelosi's spokesman quoted in the article below, the plane needed to stop somewhere in Europe for pilot rest. They used that opportunity to schedule the meeting with NATO officials. Republican Congressional delegations have flown military during this shutdown. And, by the way:

So that would be a "no" and some actual whataboutism.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:15 am

Estonut wrote:
Estonut wrote:Really? Did they not have enough time to schedule it commercial in the first place?

It's contagious. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:48 pm

As Trump grounds Pelosi’s troop visit, FLOTUS boarded a $35,000 military flight to Florida
Donald Trump declared today (Jan. 17) he was grounding Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s upcoming trip to visit troops in Afghanistan “in light of the 800,000 Great American workers not receiving pay,” alluding to the expense of flying military aircraft there.

Hours later, his wife Melania Trump was on board a US military plane to Palm Beach, Florida, where the couple have a private club, on a flight that Quartz calculates cost US taxpayers $35,000.
Rest of story: https://qz.com/1527450/as-trump-grounds ... o-florida/

jarnon

#10 Post by jarnon » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:01 pm

On the bright side, the White House canceled plans for a delegation led by Treasury Sec. Mnuchin to attend the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

Mnuchin in particular, and politicians of both parties in general, have used trips like this as an excuse for a vacation, and Davos has ski slopes, so the optics could have been quite bad.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:29 pm

Estonut wrote:
Estonut wrote:Really? Did they not have enough time to schedule it commercial in the first place?

It's not whataboutism. It's a demonstration that Donny's stated reason for cancelling the trip is pretextual.

In the scheme of things, I don't care one way or another about cancelling the trip. It's penny ante tit-for-tat that makes him look petty but we already knew that about him. On a scale of 1 to 100 of bad things Donny has done that aspect doesn't crack double digits.

What makes his announcement reckless and irresponsible was the security threat created by announcing the destination of the trip in advance. Donny could have achieved the same goal by announcing the cancellation of military support for all planned Congressional trips until the shutdown is over. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson