Thinking it's popcorn time

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: Thinking it's popcorn time

#76 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:24 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Spock wrote: But the pictures I saw were of a "Blackout." Schools have them and many other theme nights at games to raise school spirit.
And it's just a coincidence that the "blackout" featured wide white lips on the students.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.trutho ... ll-player/
Well, then

Bob Juch

#77 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:59 pm

BackInTex wrote:Who is Pastor Jolly?
He said who is is in his article.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#78 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:03 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Another view of Covington Catholic:

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2019/0 ... se-to-home

Whataboutism.
No, he's another: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/1 ... =emaildkre
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#79 Post by BackInTex » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:12 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Another view of Covington Catholic:

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2019/0 ... se-to-home

Whataboutism.
Another emasculated journalist who is ashamed of being white, being male, and maybe even being straight.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

tlynn78

#80 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:18 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

Whataboutism.
Another emasculated journalist who is ashamed of being white, being male, and maybe even being straight.
As well as another lame attempt to divert attention from the original story.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#81 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:26 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
The story is that this school is pumping out toxic young men, just like Georgetown Prep.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/01/ ... augh-case/

tlynn78

#82 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
The story is that this school is pumping out toxic young men, just like Georgetown Prep.

I'm sure your ilk believe that's the story.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jarnon

#83 Post by jarnon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:45 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:\The story is that this school is pumping out toxic young men, just like Georgetown Prep.

Did anybody read the story? It's from the National Review. The first line sums it up:
Conservative parents look at liberal hate and think, “They could do that to my son.”
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

flockofseagulls104

#84 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:46 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

Geez, this is not about right or left. It's about the news media and social media!!!!!! It's about liberal bias in the media and about SJW's that don't care who they hurt in enforcing their own definition of justice.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#85 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Geez, this is not about right or left. It's about the news media and social media!!!!!! It's about liberal bias in the media and about SJW's that don't care who they hurt in enforcing their own definition of justice.
Social media is a two-edged sword and there is a very active right wing smear machine that loves to spread lies around, but you never seem to have anything bad to say about them.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#86 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:15 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Geez, this is not about right or left. It's about the news media and social media!!!!!! It's about liberal bias in the media and about SJW's that don't care who they hurt in enforcing their own definition of justice.
Social media is a two-edged sword and there is a very active right wing smear machine that loves to spread lies around, but you never seem to have anything bad to say about them.
My God!
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#87 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:42 pm

As much as you don't want to see it, aSSShole, There was the Black Hebrew Israelites group shouting disgusting epithets at the high school group, and bigotted SJW Mr. Nathan Phillips lying through his teeth about what he did. But I guess the kids from the Catholic School deserved it because some of them had hats that said Make America Great Again. And the MSM agrees. And no matter what else comes up, the SJWs will not let up until they destroy the individual kids and now their school. And the MSM will not report fairly. They will report what they think their audience wants to see and what will generate the highest ratings.

I didn't see anything about Allysa Milano or any of the saintly hollywood crowd calling for the doxxing any of the black israealites, have you?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/01/ ... bought-it/

I don't care how you spin it. This is a perfect example of the decline of American Journalism. And why any thinking person does NOT take what they see on the mainstream media as truth.

silverscreenselect

#88 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:29 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:There was the Black Hebrew Israelites group shouting disgusting epithets at the high school group, and bigotted SJW Mr. Nathan Phillips lying through his teeth about what he did.
There were a grand total of four Black Hebrew Israelites. Yes, they were carrying on. There were a whole lot more than four high school students.

I'm curious exactly what specifically you feel Phillips was "lying through his teeth about." And don't just paste a cite to some article and let me guess what statements you're referring to.
flockofseagulls104 wrote:And no matter what else comes up, the SJWs will not let up until they destroy the individual kids and now their school.
Except, as is becoming increasingly more apparent, their school has had a toxic culture for years that a lot of people in the community were aware of. And now, because the kids were allowed to run around unsupervised and no one ever told them how to behave in public, it's been exposed.

So cutting through all your screams of media bias, here's what you have. The media reported on a fast breaking event based on the best available information that wasn't 100% accurate but seems to have gotten the gist of the facts correct, despite what the high powered right wing PR firm that was hired to put a spin on the facts came up with the next day. Then, when the PR flak was made public, further digging into the facts revealed more damaging information about the culture at the high school that tends to support the gist of the original story.

tlynn78

#89 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:36 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:There was the Black Hebrew Israelites group shouting disgusting epithets at the high school group, and bigotted SJW Mr. Nathan Phillips lying through his teeth about what he did.
There were a grand total of four Black Hebrew Israelites. Yes, they were carrying on. There were a whole lot more than four high school students.

I'm curious exactly what specifically you feel Phillips was "lying through his teeth about." And don't just paste a cite to some article and let me guess what statements you're referring to.
flockofseagulls104 wrote:And no matter what else comes up, the SJWs will not let up until they destroy the individual kids and now their school.
Except, as is becoming increasingly more apparent, their school has had a toxic culture for years that a lot of people in the community were aware of. And now, because the kids were allowed to run around unsupervised and no one ever told them how to behave in public, it's been exposed.

So cutting through all your screams of media bias, here's what you have. The media reported on a fast breaking event based on the best available information that wasn't 100% accurate but seems to have gotten the gist of the facts correct, despite what the high powered right wing PR firm that was hired to put a spin on the facts came up with the next day. Then, when the PR flak was made public, further digging into the facts revealed more damaging information about the culture at the high school that tends to support the gist of the original story.

I had no idea you'd begun writing your own fiction. Explains a great deal.

Appa23

#90 Post by Appa23 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:16 am

silverscreenselect wrote: I'm curious exactly what specifically you feel Phillips was "lying through his teeth about."
Here is what I recall from his initial story, as compared to what the full video actually showed:

1. The high school boys approached him and surrounded him.
- Phillips actually came over to where the high school students were standing/sitting on the stairs. He was not surrounded by the group. (More like 180 degrees than 360 degrees, and remembering that he interjected himself into the group.)

2. He came over to defuse the yelling between the Black Hebrews and the high school students.
- At the time that Phillips borrowed the drum and started over to the high school students, they mainly were sitting on the steps and there was no ongoing yelling.

3. Male student got in his face, blocked his way, even after he tried to go left or right around him to leave.
- Phillips came over and put himself inches away from the student's face, banging a drum in what some call his "personal space".
- Phillips was the aggressor, not the student. [I know that some have said that the students could have left, but 1. why should they leave when they did not engage with Phillips or his group, and 2. the students were at a pre-designated meeting spot and meeting time for transportation, so they had to stay there.]
- Phillips never made any effort to go around, left, or right around the student. He went directly over to the students and then placed himself directly in front of one wearing a MAGA hat.
- Phillips clearly was not trying to leave at any time, which is obvious since the students were on the stairs, and Phillips would have headed the opposite direction and down the stairs (not up) to leave.

4. Phillips alleges that the boys were yelling "Build the Wall".
- No video shows any such chants by the students.
- The video does show one of Phillips' group telling the kids to go back to Europe.

5. Phillips lied about serving in the Marines in Vietnam.
- He quickly had to change his story to "I was a Marine at the end of the Vietnam era" when his lie was so easily caught.
- This lie, as well as his history of provocation regarding Eastern Michigan students and DAPL protests, hurts his credibility and character as a witness.

Meanwhile, you have a 17 year-old boy with an awkward smile on his face after being placed in a very uncomfortable situation. I do not know if you have ever been placed in a similar situation, having someone "aggressively" come right up to you and get in your face, while showing no expression at all. My experience has taught me that human nature often causes a person to passively engage or not engage at all, and try to smile so that the other person does not read aggression. If Phillips was trying to defuse the situation, why wouldn't he smile at the students while he played? There was no joy, no spirit in the performance, which is not my experience with tribal drum performances.

I do think that many commentators that I have read clearly haven't been to a high school football or basketball game in years. The cheering on that nearly 2 hour video shows are the same chants and singing that you see every high school doing now. "Crazies" tear off their shirts and dance around to fire up a crowd. I really was not seeing much of the "alleged" tomahawk chops either, though I did see some students doing the same jumping/dancing with coordinated one arm "bouncing" that I have watched high school boys and girls doing since my daughter became a varsity cheerleader. [One also can place the "blackface" controversy in this context. For some time now, high school students have been doing full body paint for designated spirit games. I have seen green kids (not mocking Martians), blue kids (sorry Smurfs!), and silver kids (Silver Surfer!). About 2 years ago, our school district banned full body paint because a few people raised the racism flag when a high school (not ours) had a blackout game against a school that had a large population of blacks (also the defending state champs, so it was a big game.) Both schools publicly stated that there was no such intent of racist "blackface", but the school district thought that it is better to avoid the issue.]

I cannot tell you what actually was going through anyone's head this past Friday, but the students' version tracks with the video and my experiences in recent years. The students seemingly saw some Native Americans come over to play drums after doing their cheers/songs, and may have thought that they were providing music. Some of the boys decided to dance and sing along.

Most of all, I am flummoxed why no adults (from school or just in the area) got involved either when the students were being confronted by the Black Hebrews or the Native American group. Someone needed to calmly tell Phillips to back away from the students and get out of their faces.

The full video really is a Rohrshach test for people.

silverscreenselect

#91 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:27 am

Appa23 wrote:
- He quickly had to change his story to "I was a Marine at the end of the Vietnam era" when his lie was so easily caught.
- This lie, as well as his history of provocation regarding Eastern Michigan students and DAPL protests, hurts his credibility and character as a witness.
Phillips never claimed he served in Vietnam. The Washington Post initially wrote that when it transcribed his interview. His statement was something to the effect that he was a Vietnam-era Marine, which was true.

The full video showed the students periodically chanting, bouncing up and down, and working themselves up. The general attitude was similar to what soccer fans display and could easily have led to a more heated confrontation, especially since the students were making no effort to simply walk away from an annoyance the way most people would. Once Phillips did approach the students, the remainder of them quickly surrounded Phillips and his small group and their way was effectively blocked.

The next day, a high class PR firm released a statement supposedly from the 17-year-old boy in the middle of all this. It was clearly not written by a high school student, and it attempts to change the smirk on his face to a "nervous smile."

This was a potentially volatile situation in which a rather large group of students with apparently no adult supervision was getting themselves worked up in response to a small group of idiots looking to get a rise out of them. It could easily have turned ugly. What Phillips did may or may not have been the smartest thing in the world, but this was a potentially ugly situation. As far as the claims about how the students at this school conducted themselves, there are more stories coming out about the culture at that particular school that tend to put a less innocent spin on this.

Your version has been heavily massaged by a PR firm that obviously got paid a lot of money to put a good spin on things and have found a lot of people on the right more than willing to buy into this.

I work in downtown Atlanta and run into crazies like the Black Hebrew Israelites every now and then. You walk away and ignore them. You don't engage them through high school cheers.

flockofseagulls104

#92 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:30 am

I work in downtown Atlanta and run into crazies like the Black Hebrew Israelites every now and then. You walk away and ignore them. You don't engage them through high school cheers.
Yeah, they're alright, just as long as you ignore them. The real problem is those catholic frickin teenagers, going around causing trouble. It all stems from their school. Teaching all that Christian racist hatefulness. They set this whole thing up with the direction of some NY PR firm. Just so it could get the deplorables all stirred up.

Is that what the bat phone is telling you?

silverscreenselect

#93 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Yeah, they're alright, just as long as you ignore them. The real problem is those catholic frickin teenagers, going around causing trouble. It all stems from their school. Teaching all that Christian racist hatefulness. They set this whole thing up with the direction of some NY PR firm. Just so it could get the deplorables all stirred up.

Flock, you'd buy the Brooklyn Bridge if Breitbart told you it was a way to get back at the liberal media.

flockofseagulls104

#94 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:58 am

Flock, you'd buy the Brooklyn Bridge if Breitbart told you it was a way to get back at the liberal media.
I got you babe.

Is that the only argument you have? We started talking about this thing, and you bring up the school. Did you get that information out of your own excuse for a brain? Look at the convoluted arguments you are using to defend your stance. And you accuse me of relying on 'Breitbart'. I never go to that website. I've cited them a few times, but only through google searches on a specific topic. But that will not stop you from telling me I do when I know I don't. You seem to know everyone's actions and motives. That must be a terrible burden to bear.

tlynn78

#95 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:01 am

Appa23 wrote:
Phillips never claimed he served in Vietnam. The Washington Post initially wrote that when it transcribed his interview. His statement was something to the effect that he was a Vietnam-era Marine, which was true.

The full video showed the students periodically chanting, bouncing up and down, and working themselves up. The general attitude was similar to what soccer fans display and could easily have led to a more heated confrontation, especially since the students were making no effort to simply walk away from an annoyance the way most people would. Once Phillips did approach the students, the remainder of them quickly surrounded Phillips and his small group and their way was effectively blocked.

The next day, a high class PR firm released a statement supposedly from the 17-year-old boy in the middle of all this. It was clearly not written by a high school student, and it attempts to change the smirk on his face to a "nervous smile."

This was a potentially volatile situation in which a rather large group of students with apparently no adult supervision was getting themselves worked up in response to a small group of idiots looking to get a rise out of them. It could easily have turned ugly. What Phillips did may or may not have been the smartest thing in the world, but this was a potentially ugly situation. As far as the claims about how the students at this school conducted themselves, there are more stories coming out about the culture at that particular school that tend to put a less innocent spin on this.

Your version has been heavily massaged by a PR firm that obviously got paid a lot of money to put a good spin on things and have found a lot of people on the right more than willing to buy into this.

My review: Repetitive, unoriginal; lacks credulity.

Bob Juch

#96 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:50 am

Lost in all this is why the students were in Washington D.C. in the first place. They were bussed-in to protest abortion during the Woman's March. I have to wonder if they were being used by their school.

tlynn78

#97 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:15 am

Bob Juch wrote:Lost in all this is why the students were in Washington D.C. in the first place. They were bussed-in to protest abortion during the Woman's March. I have to wonder if they were being used by their school.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

flockofseagulls104

#98 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Lost in all this is why the students were in Washington D.C. in the first place. They were bussed-in to protest abortion during the Woman's March. I have to wonder if they were being used by their school.
Why were the Black Hebrew Israelites there? To curse at and hurl vile verbal epithets at high school boys? I have to wonder why you're wondering only about the high school boys.

silverscreenselect

#99 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:39 pm

Why were the Black Hebrew Israelites there? To curse at and hurl vile verbal epithets at high school boys? I have to wonder why you're wondering only about the high school boys.
It's a legitimate question. The Black Hebrew Israelites are adults and presumably free to make up their own minds. These high school students were children, presumably under the care and supervision of adult chaperones.

If a group of fifty high school students were caught in a Washington DC strip club, would you be asking why the other patrons of the club were there?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#100 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:44 pm

It's a legitimate question. The Black Hebrew Israelites are adults and presumably free to make up their own minds. These high school students were children, presumably under the care and supervision of adult chaperones.

If a group of fifty high school students were caught in a Washington DC strip club, would you be asking why the other patrons of the club were there?
I actually worry about you a bit.
Well, then