WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:29 pm 
Offline
Keeper of the Transcripts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 4431
Charlie Pevey (BB MPW42)
Accountant
Los Angeles, Cal.


$500
Because rising temperatures are causing ragweed pollen to grow for a longer period of time, Vox.com says “It’s not your imagination” what “gets worse every year”?
A: Allergy season B: Awards season
C: Baseball season D: Duck hunting season

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Allergy season


$1,000
According to the linguistics journal “Language,” the average rate of speech for a fluent English speaker (auctioneers excluded) is about six syllables per what?
A: Second B: Minute
C: Hour D: Day

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Second


$2,000
Losing contestants on what reality competition show are typically told to “Sashay away”?
A: RuPaul’s Drag Race B: RuPaul’s Got Talent
C: RuPaul’s Biggest Loser D: RuPaul’s Treehouse Masters

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: RuPaul’s Drag Race


Commercial break

Charlie is wearing a Millionaire Play it! jacket that he won in Disneyland. He also won a cruise to the Bahamas. He took his girlfriend Kelly. They’ve now been married for ten years.

$3,000
“Life’s too short to be living somebody else’s dream” is a quote attributed to what often pajama-clad magazine publisher who died in 2017 at age 91?
A: Rupert Murdoch B: Martha Stewart
C: Hugh Hefner D: William Randolph Hearst

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Hugh Hefner


$5,000
Former hunting grounds for the Maharajahs of Jaipur, Ranthambore National Park in India is now a sanctuary for what indigenous animals?
A: Pandas B: Tigers
C: Llamas D: Koalas

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: Tigers


$7,000
Seen on such movie characters as Kylo Ren and the Bond villain Blofeld, a “keloid” is another word for a what?
A: Leather glove B: Double chin
C: Cape D: Scar

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
D: Scar


Commercial break

$10,000
In total, how many different opening moves are possible for the first player in a standard game of chess?
A: 8 B: 20
C: 164 D: 1,024,000

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: 20


$20,000
What president who was baptized while in office, signed laws adding “under God” to the Pledge of Allegiance and making “In God We Trust” the official U.S. motto?
A: Dwight Eisenhower B: Lyndon Johnson
C: Harry Truman D: Richard Nixon

[Reveal] Spoiler: +1
Charlie knows it was when Communism became a threat, so Johnson and Nixon are too late. His +1, his dad Carl, is old enough to know this. Carl thinks it’s Eisenhower.


[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Dwight Eisenhower


Commercial break

QotD (read by Frank Mickens from WTTV in Indianapolis)
American fashion icon Ralph Lauren was born with what less fashionable surname?
A: Lifshitz B: Lebowski
C: Lumpkin D: Looney

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Lifshitz


$30,000
Still the record for the fastest crossing by a civil aircraft, on February 7, 1996, how long did it take the Concorde to fly from London to New York?
A: 2 hours 16 minutes 51 seconds B: 2 hours 52 minutes 59 seconds
C: 3 hours 24 minutes 31 seconds D: 4 hours 2 minutes 3 seconds

[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA
A: 13% B:37% C: 32% D: 18%


[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves B & C.


[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: 2 hours 52 minutes 59 seconds


The horn
Charlie will be back on Thursday.


Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 12767
Location: mired in the bureaucracy
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Charlie Pevey
Accountant
Los Angeles, Cal.


BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$500
Because rising temperatures are causing ragweed pollen to grow for a longer period of time, Vox.com says “It’s not your imagination” what “gets worse every year”?
A: Allergy season B: Awards season
C: Baseball season D: Duck hunting season
[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Allergy season

I picture the old Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck cartoon (one of several) where they argue over which season it is. In one of them, Elmer asks the game warden (a disguised Bugs) what season it is, and he replies, "Baseball season", whereupon he tosses a baseball and Elmer shoots at it.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$30,000
Still the record for the fastest crossing by a civil aircraft, on February 7, 1996, how long did it take the Concorde to fly from London to New York?
A: 2 hours 16 minutes 51 seconds B: 2 hours 52 minutes 59 seconds
C: 3 hours 24 minutes 31 seconds D: 4 hours 2 minutes 3 seconds
[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA
A: 13% B:37% C: 32% D: 18%

[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves B & C.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: 2 hours 52 minutes 59 seconds

This is pretty tough - I think I'd use the 50:50 first, though.

_________________
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:59 am 
Offline
Dumbass
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Posts: 29883
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
This name is ringing a lot of bells in my head, but I can't place it...

lb13

_________________
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 22258
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$30,000
Still the record for the fastest crossing by a civil aircraft, on February 7, 1996, how long did it take the Concorde to fly from London to New York?
A: 2 hours 16 minutes 51 seconds B: 2 hours 52 minutes 59 seconds
C: 3 hours 24 minutes 31 seconds D: 4 hours 2 minutes 3 seconds
[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA
A: 13% B:37% C: 32% D: 18%

[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves B & C.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: 2 hours 52 minutes 59 seconds

This is pretty tough - I think I'd use the 50:50 first, though.

That's one of those things I had in the deep dark recesses of my mind for some reason.

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4545
Location: Merion, Pa.
littlebeast13 wrote:
This name is ringing a lot of bells in my head, but I can't place it...

lb13
I searched and found his wins on Millionaire Play it! exactly 15 years ago and Wheel of Fortune in 2015. I'm surprised he's not a BB since he's posted on other game show boards.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:33 pm
Posts: 2068
Location: Richmond VA
earendel wrote:
[
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$30,000
Still the record for the fastest crossing by a civil aircraft, on February 7, 1996, how long did it take the Concorde to fly from London to New York?
A: 2 hours 16 minutes 51 seconds B: 2 hours 52 minutes 59 seconds
C: 3 hours 24 minutes 31 seconds D: 4 hours 2 minutes 3 seconds
[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA
A: 13% B:37% C: 32% D: 18%

[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves B & C.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: 2 hours 52 minutes 59 seconds

This is pretty tough - I think I'd use the 50:50 first, though.


Definitely tough. I remember the general phrase in the day was "London to NY in 3 hours" so I ruled out D and probably C. Actually thought it might be A, but like others would have used the 50:50. Given what they left, it was logical.

_________________
#ignorehashtags


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 22258
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
jarnon wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
This name is ringing a lot of bells in my head, but I can't place it...

lb13
I searched and found his wins on Millionaire Play it! exactly 15 years ago and Wheel of Fortune in 2015. I'm surprised he's not a BB since he's posted on other game show boards.

His old photo on his web page rings a bell. He was probably playing in 2002/3 when I (and other BBs) went monthly.

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:55 pm 
Offline
Dumbass
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Posts: 29883
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
jarnon wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
This name is ringing a lot of bells in my head, but I can't place it...

lb13
I searched and found his wins on Millionaire Play it! exactly 15 years ago and Wheel of Fortune in 2015. I'm surprised he's not a BB since he's posted on other game show boards.



He may have dropped by on an older version of the Bored... but it feels like I've run across that name sometime in the last few years. I rarely click on transcript threads, but the name Charlie Pevey jumped out at me for some reason...

lb13

_________________
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:31 pm
Posts: 12
littlebeast13 wrote:
jarnon wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
This name is ringing a lot of bells in my head, but I can't place it...

lb13
I searched and found his wins on Millionaire Play it! exactly 15 years ago and Wheel of Fortune in 2015. I'm surprised he's not a BB since he's posted on other game show boards.



He may have dropped by on an older version of the Bored... but it feels like I've run across that name sometime in the last few years. I rarely click on transcript threads, but the name Charlie Pevey jumped out at me for some reason...

lb13


Um, hi! It's me! 8)

It was truly a lot of fun. Man, I looked kinda nervous. I did like how the shot of me tightened as I contemplated going for it on $30K. More later. I've been on Instagram (@giraffe.boy) where you can check out some photos.

--Charlie


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:11 am 
Offline
Dog's Best Friend
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 am
Posts: 9517
MPW42 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
jarnon wrote:
I searched and found his wins on Millionaire Play it! exactly 15 years ago and Wheel of Fortune in 2015. I'm surprised he's not a BB since he's posted on other game show boards.



He may have dropped by on an older version of the Bored... but it feels like I've run across that name sometime in the last few years. I rarely click on transcript threads, but the name Charlie Pevey jumped out at me for some reason...

lb13


Um, hi! It's me! 8)

It was truly a lot of fun. Man, I looked kinda nervous. I did like how the shot of me tightened as I contemplated going for it on $30K. More later. I've been on Instagram (@giraffe.boy) where you can check out some photos.

--Charlie


Welcome to the Bored, Charlie! Come back often and tell us how you spend your winnings. (Mine all went for veterinary bills. Best money I ever spent!)

_________________
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:42 am 
Offline
Dumbass
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Posts: 29883
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
MPW42 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
jarnon wrote:
I searched and found his wins on Millionaire Play it! exactly 15 years ago and Wheel of Fortune in 2015. I'm surprised he's not a BB since he's posted on other game show boards.



He may have dropped by on an older version of the Bored... but it feels like I've run across that name sometime in the last few years. I rarely click on transcript threads, but the name Charlie Pevey jumped out at me for some reason...

lb13


Um, hi! It's me! 8)

It was truly a lot of fun. Man, I looked kinda nervous. I did like how the shot of me tightened as I contemplated going for it on $30K. More later. I've been on Instagram (@giraffe.boy) where you can check out some photos.

--Charlie



That's why your name was fresh on my mind... I checked out your past posts when you announced your show was airing back on the 11th. I saw you had registered all the way back in 2009, but the avatar was completely unfamiliar to me (And it's the kind of thing I pay attention to), so I had to see when you'd posted before. And I obviously put together the name Charlie with the last name in your email (Which I can see on each post as an Admin). My brain, as usual, stored a random fact without remembering any of the other significant details surrounding it...

lb13

_________________
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:45 am
Posts: 48
Nice to see a Play It! alum make it to the big show! Not being local to the Florida area, I only did the Play It! thing twice during one vacation in May of 2004. (Sad way I know the month: I remember watching the series finale of "Friends" in my hotel room.)

The format when I went was just a single Fastest Finger followed by Hot Seat - no Ring of Fire. I quickly figured out the simplest way to guarantee a 1 in 23 shot of getting into the Hot Seat, despite 500+ players - mash the keypad as fast as possible. Thinking for even one second could easily put me in second place. That was my plan going in...but the question stem was about musicals, which was a topic I knew. I was tempted to think and not mash...but once the options popped up as all "oldie" musicals, I mashed and won.

I won the cap fairly easily. I think I might have used all three lifelines on the question I zonked on - I know I used Phone a Stranger on a question, and I died after using Ask an Audience of Ten-Year-Olds. I think it was 8000 or 16000 points - the question was about the traditional 35th anniversary anniversary gift. I'd narrowed it down (either with 50/50 or because two of the answers were obviously wrong like Paper/Gold/Silver/Platinum) to two options: Emerald or Coral. I picked the wrong answer, and got a hat and the five pins.

Weird thing is...I went back the next day. Didn't make it to the seat. According to Wikipedia, there was a 30 day waiting period to return to the hot seat? I know I went back trying to get in the hot seat again, and I wouldn't have gone had I known I was ineligible.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 22258
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
talkinaway wrote:
Nice to see a Play It! alum make it to the big show! Not being local to the Florida area, I only did the Play It! thing twice during one vacation in May of 2004. (Sad way I know the month: I remember watching the series finale of "Friends" in my hotel room.)

The format when I went was just a single Fastest Finger followed by Hot Seat - no Ring of Fire. I quickly figured out the simplest way to guarantee a 1 in 23 shot of getting into the Hot Seat, despite 500+ players - mash the keypad as fast as possible. Thinking for even one second could easily put me in second place. That was my plan going in...but the question stem was about musicals, which was a topic I knew. I was tempted to think and not mash...but once the options popped up as all "oldie" musicals, I mashed and won.

I won the cap fairly easily. I think I might have used all three lifelines on the question I zonked on - I know I used Phone a Stranger on a question, and I died after using Ask an Audience of Ten-Year-Olds. I think it was 8000 or 16000 points - the question was about the traditional 35th anniversary anniversary gift. I'd narrowed it down (either with 50/50 or because two of the answers were obviously wrong like Paper/Gold/Silver/Platinum) to two options: Emerald or Coral. I picked the wrong answer, and got a hat and the five pins.

Weird thing is...I went back the next day. Didn't make it to the seat. According to Wikipedia, there was a 30 day waiting period to return to the hot seat? I know I went back trying to get in the hot seat again, and I wouldn't have gone had I known I was ineligible.

Play It! never had a Ring of Fire, the whole audience did Fastest Finger. That was usually a "Nintendo kid" who flamed out quickly. Then the player(s) that had the fastest answering time got in. I got in via the FF once at DCA and once (my final time in the HS) at WDW.

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BackInTex and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.