Transcript 1/23/19 Charlie Pevey (MPW42)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 1/23/19 Charlie Pevey (MPW42)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:29 pm

Charlie Pevey (BB MPW42)
Accountant
Los Angeles, Cal.

$500
Because rising temperatures are causing ragweed pollen to grow for a longer period of time, Vox.com says “It’s not your imagination” what “gets worse every year”?
A: Allergy season B: Awards season
C: Baseball season D: Duck hunting season

Spoiler
A: Allergy season

$1,000
According to the linguistics journal “Language,” the average rate of speech for a fluent English speaker (auctioneers excluded) is about six syllables per what?
A: Second B: Minute
C: Hour D: Day

Spoiler
A: Second

$2,000
Losing contestants on what reality competition show are typically told to “Sashay away”?
A: RuPaul’s Drag Race B: RuPaul’s Got Talent
C: RuPaul’s Biggest Loser D: RuPaul’s Treehouse Masters

Spoiler
A: RuPaul’s Drag Race

Commercial break

Charlie is wearing a Millionaire Play it! jacket that he won in Disneyland. He also won a cruise to the Bahamas. He took his girlfriend Kelly. They’ve now been married for ten years.

$3,000
“Life’s too short to be living somebody else’s dream” is a quote attributed to what often pajama-clad magazine publisher who died in 2017 at age 91?
A: Rupert Murdoch B: Martha Stewart
C: Hugh Hefner D: William Randolph Hearst

Spoiler
C: Hugh Hefner

$5,000
Former hunting grounds for the Maharajahs of Jaipur, Ranthambore National Park in India is now a sanctuary for what indigenous animals?
A: Pandas B: Tigers
C: Llamas D: Koalas

Spoiler
B: Tigers

$7,000
Seen on such movie characters as Kylo Ren and the Bond villain Blofeld, a “keloid” is another word for a what?
A: Leather glove B: Double chin
C: Cape D: Scar

Spoiler
D: Scar

Commercial break

$10,000
In total, how many different opening moves are possible for the first player in a standard game of chess?
A: 8 B: 20
C: 164 D: 1,024,000

Spoiler
B: 20

$20,000
What president who was baptized while in office, signed laws adding “under God” to the Pledge of Allegiance and making “In God We Trust” the official U.S. motto?
A: Dwight Eisenhower B: Lyndon Johnson
C: Harry Truman D: Richard Nixon

Spoiler
Charlie knows it was when Communism became a threat, so Johnson and Nixon are too late. His +1, his dad Carl, is old enough to know this. Carl thinks it’s Eisenhower.

Spoiler
A: Dwight Eisenhower

Commercial break

QotD (read by Frank Mickens from WTTV in Indianapolis)
American fashion icon Ralph Lauren was born with what less fashionable surname?
A: Lifshitz B: Lebowski
C: Lumpkin D: Looney

Spoiler
A: Lifshitz

$30,000
Still the record for the fastest crossing by a civil aircraft, on February 7, 1996, how long did it take the Concorde to fly from London to New York?
A: 2 hours 16 minutes 51 seconds B: 2 hours 52 minutes 59 seconds
C: 3 hours 24 minutes 31 seconds D: 4 hours 2 minutes 3 seconds

Spoiler
A: 13% B:37% C: 32% D: 18%

Spoiler
50/50 leaves B & C.

Spoiler
B: 2 hours 52 minutes 59 seconds

The horn
Charlie will be back on Thursday.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earendel

Re: Transcript 1/23/19 Charlie Pevey

#2 Post by earendel » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:15 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Charlie Pevey
Accountant
Los Angeles, Cal.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500
Because rising temperatures are causing ragweed pollen to grow for a longer period of time, Vox.com says “It’s not your imagination” what “gets worse every year”?
A: Allergy season B: Awards season
C: Baseball season D: Duck hunting season
Spoiler
A: Allergy season
I picture the old Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck cartoon (one of several) where they argue over which season it is. In one of them, Elmer asks the game warden (a disguised Bugs) what season it is, and he replies, "Baseball season", whereupon he tosses a baseball and Elmer shoots at it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$30,000
Still the record for the fastest crossing by a civil aircraft, on February 7, 1996, how long did it take the Concorde to fly from London to New York?
Spoiler

Spoiler
50/50 leaves B & C.

Spoiler
This is pretty tough - I think I'd use the 50:50 first, though.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:59 am

This name is ringing a lot of bells in my head, but I can't place it...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:04 pm

earendel wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
50/50 leaves B & C.

Spoiler
That's one of those things I had in the deep dark recesses of my mind for some reason.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

#5 Post by jarnon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:40 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:This name is ringing a lot of bells in my head, but I can't place it...

lb13
I searched and found his wins on Millionaire Play it! exactly 15 years ago and Wheel of Fortune in 2015. I'm surprised he's not a BB since he's posted on other game show boards.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

SpacemanSpiff

#6 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:10 pm

earendel wrote:[
Spoiler

Spoiler
50/50 leaves B & C.

Spoiler
Definitely tough. I remember the general phrase in the day was "London to NY in 3 hours" so I ruled out D and probably C. Actually thought it might be A, but like others would have used the 50:50. Given what they left, it was logical.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:20 pm

jarnon wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:This name is ringing a lot of bells in my head, but I can't place it...

lb13
I searched and found his wins on Millionaire Play it! exactly 15 years ago and Wheel of Fortune in 2015. I'm surprised he's not a BB since he's posted on other game show boards.
His old photo on his web page rings a bell. He was probably playing in 2002/3 when I (and other BBs) went monthly.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:55 pm

jarnon wrote:

lb13

He may have dropped by on an older version of the Bored... but it feels like I've run across that name sometime in the last few years. I rarely click on transcript threads, but the name Charlie Pevey jumped out at me for some reason...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

MPW42

#9 Post by MPW42 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:05 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
jarnon wrote:

lb13

He may have dropped by on an older version of the Bored... but it feels like I've run across that name sometime in the last few years. I rarely click on transcript threads, but the name Charlie Pevey jumped out at me for some reason...

lb13
Um, hi! It's me! 8)

It was truly a lot of fun. Man, I looked kinda nervous. I did like how the shot of me tightened as I contemplated going for it on $30K. More later. I've been on Instagram (@giraffe.boy) where you can check out some photos.

--Charlie

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#10 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:11 am

MPW42 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
jarnon wrote:I searched and found his wins on Millionaire Play it! exactly 15 years ago and Wheel of Fortune in 2015. I'm surprised he's not a BB since he's posted on other game show boards.

lb13
Um, hi! It's me! 8)

It was truly a lot of fun. Man, I looked kinda nervous. I did like how the shot of me tightened as I contemplated going for it on $30K. More later. I've been on Instagram (@giraffe.boy) where you can check out some photos.

--Charlie
Welcome to the Bored, Charlie! Come back often and tell us how you spend your winnings. (Mine all went for veterinary bills. Best money I ever spent!)
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:42 am

MPW42 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
jarnon wrote:I searched and found his wins on Millionaire Play it! exactly 15 years ago and Wheel of Fortune in 2015. I'm surprised he's not a BB since he's posted on other game show boards.

lb13
Um, hi! It's me! 8)

--Charlie

That's why your name was fresh on my mind... I checked out your past posts when you announced your show was airing back on the 11th. I saw you had registered all the way back in 2009, but the avatar was completely unfamiliar to me (And it's the kind of thing I pay attention to), so I had to see when you'd posted before. And I obviously put together the name Charlie with the last name in your email (Which I can see on each post as an Admin). My brain, as usual, stored a random fact without remembering any of the other significant details surrounding it...

lb13

talkinaway

Re: Transcript 1/23/19 Charlie Pevey (MPW42)

#12 Post by talkinaway » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:14 pm

Nice to see a Play It! alum make it to the big show! Not being local to the Florida area, I only did the Play It! thing twice during one vacation in May of 2004. (Sad way I know the month: I remember watching the series finale of "Friends" in my hotel room.)

The format when I went was just a single Fastest Finger followed by Hot Seat - no Ring of Fire. I quickly figured out the simplest way to guarantee a 1 in 23 shot of getting into the Hot Seat, despite 500+ players - mash the keypad as fast as possible. Thinking for even one second could easily put me in second place. That was my plan going in...but the question stem was about musicals, which was a topic I knew. I was tempted to think and not mash...but once the options popped up as all "oldie" musicals, I mashed and won.

I won the cap fairly easily. I think I might have used all three lifelines on the question I zonked on - I know I used Phone a Stranger on a question, and I died after using Ask an Audience of Ten-Year-Olds. I think it was 8000 or 16000 points - the question was about the traditional 35th anniversary anniversary gift. I'd narrowed it down (either with 50/50 or because two of the answers were obviously wrong like Paper/Gold/Silver/Platinum) to two options: Emerald or Coral. I picked the wrong answer, and got a hat and the five pins.

Weird thing is...I went back the next day. Didn't make it to the seat. According to Wikipedia, there was a 30 day waiting period to return to the hot seat? I know I went back trying to get in the hot seat again, and I wouldn't have gone had I known I was ineligible.

Bob Juch

Re: Transcript 1/23/19 Charlie Pevey (MPW42)

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:22 pm

talkinaway wrote:Nice to see a Play It! alum make it to the big show! Not being local to the Florida area, I only did the Play It! thing twice during one vacation in May of 2004. (Sad way I know the month: I remember watching the series finale of "Friends" in my hotel room.)

The format when I went was just a single Fastest Finger followed by Hot Seat - no Ring of Fire. I quickly figured out the simplest way to guarantee a 1 in 23 shot of getting into the Hot Seat, despite 500+ players - mash the keypad as fast as possible. Thinking for even one second could easily put me in second place. That was my plan going in...but the question stem was about musicals, which was a topic I knew. I was tempted to think and not mash...but once the options popped up as all "oldie" musicals, I mashed and won.

I won the cap fairly easily. I think I might have used all three lifelines on the question I zonked on - I know I used Phone a Stranger on a question, and I died after using Ask an Audience of Ten-Year-Olds. I think it was 8000 or 16000 points - the question was about the traditional 35th anniversary anniversary gift. I'd narrowed it down (either with 50/50 or because two of the answers were obviously wrong like Paper/Gold/Silver/Platinum) to two options: Emerald or Coral. I picked the wrong answer, and got a hat and the five pins.

Weird thing is...I went back the next day. Didn't make it to the seat. According to Wikipedia, there was a 30 day waiting period to return to the hot seat? I know I went back trying to get in the hot seat again, and I wouldn't have gone had I known I was ineligible.
Play It! never had a Ring of Fire, the whole audience did Fastest Finger. That was usually a "Nintendo kid" who flamed out quickly. Then the player(s) that had the fastest answering time got in. I got in via the FF once at DCA and once (my final time in the HS) at WDW.