RIP Albert Finney

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
bazodee

RIP Albert Finney

#1 Post by bazodee » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:05 am

From CNN:

London (CNN)Albert Finney, the Oscar-nominated British actor best known for his roles in "Annie," "Erin Brockovich" and "Tom Jones," has died after a short illness, according to representatives of his family.

"Albert Finney, aged 82, passed away peacefully after a short illness with those closest to him by his side. The family request privacy at this sad time," reads a statement.
Born in Salford, UK, Finney started out acting in the theater.
He then made his film debut in "The Entertainer" in 1960, and starred in "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning" that same year.
The film, a snapshot of working-class life in Britain, won Finney a BAFTA award for most promising newcomer in 1961.
Two years later he became a major star after playing the title role in "Tom Jones," for which Finney received the first of five Oscar nominations of his career.
Despite repeated nominations, Finney was apparently no fan of the Academy Awards.
"It seems to me a long way to go just to sit in a non-drinking, non-smoking environment on the off chance your name is called," he said, according to the UK's Press Association news agency.
"It's as if you are entered into a race you don't particularly want to run in."
On the news of his death, the world of theater and film came together to hail Finney's talent.
Actor Rufus Sewell tweeted: "Very sad to hear about Albert Finney. I had the enormous privilege of working with him early on. Apart from being effortlessly great he was also a great all round example of how to behave."
And the Old Vic Theatre in London also tweeted condolences.
"We are very sad to hear of the loss of Albert Finney. His performances in plays by Shakespeare, Chekhov and other iconic playwrights throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s stand apart as some of the greatest in our 200 year history."

BackInTex

Re: RIP Albert Finney

#2 Post by BackInTex » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:13 am

I really liked him. I just went to IMDB to see what all he was in. I was surprised how few entries he had, 65 as an actor. I would have thought he would have had a much busier career, similar to Gene Hackman (100 credits).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#3 Post by Vandal » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 am

BackInTex wrote:I really liked him. I just went to IMDB to see what all he was in. I was surprised how few entries he had, 65 as an actor. I would have thought he would have had a much busier career, similar to Gene Hackman (100 credits).
Michael Caine took all the Finney roles.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:31 am

Vandal wrote:
BackInTex wrote:I really liked him. I just went to IMDB to see what all he was in. I was surprised how few entries he had, 65 as an actor. I would have thought he would have had a much busier career, similar to Gene Hackman (100 credits).
Michael Caine took all the Finney roles.
Finney was very selective in the roles he took, less than one a year in his heyday, unlike Caine, who would take on virtually any project.

I thought he was far better as Hercule Poirot in the original Murder on the Orient Express than Kenneth Branagh was in the remake, and he was brilliant as an alcoholic in Under the Volcano (a very depressing film, as many good films about destructive alcoholism are). His best role since then was probably Big Fish, and he didn't even get an Oscar nomination for that one.

RIP
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:08 pm

Michael Caine talked about how, until The Cider House Rules in the late 90s, he took nearly every job offered to him. His self-esteem was not great. After that movie, though, he had a moment of truth where he understood that he could be more selective.

I only ever saw Finney in The Dresser, and thought he was great as a very unlikable character. Sad story, though.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:52 pm

I have always referenced Two for the Road when discussing our honeymoon driving around France.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:38 pm

Beebs52 wrote:I have always referenced Two for the Road when discussing our honeymoon driving around France.
I think that's the first film with him that I saw.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.