55 Years Ago yesterday..

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

55 Years Ago yesterday..

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:37 pm

..the head of a 6 1/2 year-old in Amsterdam NY exploded:

At the start of the show, they performed All My Loving, Till There Was You, and She Loves You. They later closed the show with I Saw Her Standing There and I Want To Hold Your Hand. In between there were a lot of acts that were cursing their luck at being booked on the same show. Among them were Frank Gorshin, magician Fred Kaps, and "comedy duo" Charlie Brill and Mitzi McCall, who generated laughs that were significantly lower in volume than the screams generated by the Fab Four. It's a wonder the young ladies in the audience didn't force every other act off the stage...I doubt they were feeling much patience.

Also on the bill that night was future Monkee Davy Jones, who appeared with cast members from the Broadway production of Oliver. Davy had the role of the Artful Dodger.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

Re: 55 Years Ago yesterday..

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:12 pm

Having always had the Beatles in the world, it's hard for me to get my head around there being a time before them.

Like when people talk about the Cold War; it just doesn't fit my frame of the world.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Having always had the Beatles in the world, it's hard for me to get my head around there being a time before them.

Like when people talk about the Cold War; it just doesn't fit my frame of the world.
Didn't the Cold War end in 1991 with the collapse of the Soviet Union?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:32 pm

I mean when my 83-year-old roommate talks about walking the DEW line in Montana in 1955 to keep the Russians from coming in through Canada, that just sounds like another time.

Even in the 80s, it didn't seem like Russia was going to do anything I needed to worry about.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:42 am

Ritterskoop wrote:Having always had the Beatles in the world, it's hard for me to get my head around there being a time before them.

We don't like to talk about those days :lol:

Seriously , though, it always ticks me off when someone..pretty much invariably someone born after or slightly before 1964...says something along the lines of "Oh, the Beatles are soooo overrated. They weren't as influential as people think, blahblahblah". First off, if someone doesn't like them, that's one thing. Everyone has their own tastes and that's cool. They certainly are free to like what they like, although I admit I usually have to repress my impulse to defend the honor of my beloved lads.

BUT...

When someone says they didn't have as much impact on music as they're given credit for (I know that doesn't reflect your opinion), it shows me that:

1-They simply weren't alive, or old enough yet, to experience firsthand the unprecedented dominance they were wielding on music and pop culture, fashion, even lifestyles. Most everyone for awhile was taking their cues from them.

2-They are unable to place the group's output in the context of what else was on the charts at the time they hit. Aside from Brian Wilson's growing compositional sophistication, Phil Spector's studio wizardry, and the groundbreaking sounds coming out of the Motown studio, what else came even close to the "kicking open the door" sound of "I Want To Hold Your Hand"? It was the sound of boundaries of musical possibilities being broken. The rest of the charts were dominated by teen idols and "safe", simple and largely forgettable, fluff. To me, there's no more perfect example of the drastic shift in the musical wind than to note what was number one the week before "Hand". In just ONE WEEK, we went from Bobby Vinton's "There! I've Said It Again" to "I Want To Hold Your Hand"!!! If you can, listen to those songs back to back. That's no subtle shift, that's going directly from riding a tricycle to piloting a jet. When these folks say stuff like "oh, those songs are so simple, how can you say it was so creative and revolutionary..it can't compare to Pink Floyd, etc.", they usually aren't thinking in terms of what else was going on AT THE TIME. Of course, "Dark Side of the Moon" is more sophisticated than "She Loves You"..but "Moon" came 10 years or so later. And let us not forget the rapid maturation evident with each new Beatles record. In 1962 they recorded "Love Me Do". Just 5 years later they released "Sgt. Pepper". That's mind-boggling.

3-Not relevant? Influence exaggerated? Please. The Beatles' DNA is in, in varying degrees, most every pop and rock band that came after them, just as Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, etc. were in theirs. It's inescapable. Most artists list the group as a favorite, an influence, or both.

As usual, this was meant to be a short comment but since the subject is Beatles, I got carried away. I guess it would've been easier to just say that to know the FULL story on their impact and legacy, you needed to experience it firsthand. It's like, I can well imagine what it must've been like during World War II but I can never COMPLETELY understand the fear and worry that accompanied that time...I didn't LIVE in those times. Don't mean to equate WW II with pop music, but you get my point.

4- Finally, when someone downplays the importance of The Beatles, it shows me that either they're trying to deliberately stir up a little controversy, or that they pretty much don't know crap about music. They can hate 'em all they want, but not important? That's ignorance.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:09 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:When these folks say stuff like "oh, those songs are so simple, how can you say it was so creative and revolutionary..it can't compare to Pink Floyd, etc.", they usually aren't thinking in terms of what else was going on AT THE TIME. Of course, "Dark Side of the Moon" is more sophisticated than "She Loves You"..but "Moon" came 10 years or so later. And let us not forget the rapid maturation evident with each new Beatles record. In 1962 they recorded "Love Me Do". Just 5 years later they released "Sgt. Pepper". That's mind-boggling.
You've alluded to, but didn't state outright, that with EVERY album, they (George Martin) invented, developed & perfected new techniques in the recording studio. Many are likely still in use today, despite computerization.

A good analogy might be in movies, pre- and post- "Star Wars."
Groucho Marx

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:01 am

Interestingly I just saw a trailer for a movie called "Yesterday". The plot is that after some sort of worldwide blackout, a singer wakes up in a world where the Beatles never existed but he remembers all their songs.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/developme ... s-post-mcu

Scroll down past the story about Chris Evans.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#8 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:48 pm

earendel wrote:Interestingly I just saw a trailer for a movie called "Yesterday". The plot is that after some sort of worldwide blackout, a singer wakes up in a world where the Beatles never existed but he remembers all their songs.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/developme ... s-post-mcu

Scroll down past the story about Chris Evans.
I had seen something about that some time ago but had forgotten about it. An interesting premise.

I have actually thought about a "what if" scenario similar in nature, being able to time travel back to a certain point and "write" a bunch of classic songs before they were originally conceived. The problem would be that the initial spark of creation for some songs happened quite a bit earlier than the actual completion of the composition, which would complicate things.

The other problem, of course, is that quite often I have too much time to think :lol:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#9 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:01 pm

Estonut wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:When these folks say stuff like "oh, those songs are so simple, how can you say it was so creative and revolutionary..it can't compare to Pink Floyd, etc.", they usually aren't thinking in terms of what else was going on AT THE TIME. Of course, "Dark Side of the Moon" is more sophisticated than "She Loves You"..but "Moon" came 10 years or so later. And let us not forget the rapid maturation evident with each new Beatles record. In 1962 they recorded "Love Me Do". Just 5 years later they released "Sgt. Pepper". That's mind-boggling.
You've alluded to, but didn't state outright, that with EVERY album, they (George Martin) invented, developed & perfected new techniques in the recording studio. Many are likely still in use today, despite computerization.

A good analogy might be in movies, pre- and post- "Star Wars."

Absolutely. And, as you've put forth, George Martin's contributions were far from insignificant, as well as those of engineer Norman "Hurricane Smith" (who had a hit of his own in the early 70's with "Oh Babe What Would You Say") in the early period, then engineer Geoff Emerick. Emerick himself came up with some of the techniques used when tasked with turning a Beatle flight of fancy into a reality.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#10 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:19 pm

When I have an earworm, like the Liberty Mutual TV ad, my go-to to clear it is "Oh Babe, What Would You Say".

Sometimes that gets stuck in there, too, but I can live with that.

It occurs to me that half of what I love about that song is the hinky-dinky piano, so I could also use some ABBA songs.
--------

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#11 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:46 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:When I have an earworm, like the Liberty Mutual TV ad, my go-to to clear it is "Oh Babe, What Would You Say".

It occurs to me that half of what I love about that song is the hinky-dinky piano, so I could also use some ABBA songs.

I'm with ya on that Liberty Mutual jingle. It is one of a number of extremely annoying commercials making me miserable.

Another one is from Target, who seem to have a knack for choosing songs that make me crazy, with that song "All The Ways", which I recently discovered is by Meghan Trainor, who also "graced" us with "All About The Bass". Suffice it to say she will be getting no Boneys anytime soon.

There's also a DiGiorno's ad running, it seems, every 10 minutes on MLB Network, where a woman sings "pan pan pan pan" to the opening notes of Beethoven's 5th in order to hawk their pan pizzas. I feel they may be trying to turn me against two of my favorite things, baseball and pizza. Curse them!

There's more, including some infuriating local ones, but my lip is starting to curl just thinking about them, so...
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Vandal
Director of Promos

#12 Post by Vandal » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:21 pm

TBone is but one "pan pan pan pan" away from:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Beast the Slacker
Merry Man

#13 Post by Beast the Slacker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:19 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:I have actually thought about a "what if" scenario similar in nature, being able to time travel back to a certain point and "write" a bunch of classic songs before they were originally conceived. The problem would be that the initial spark of creation for some songs happened quite a bit earlier than the actual completion of the composition, which would complicate things.

Nobody would be ready for it. But their kids are gonna love it...

Ritterskoop

#14 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:40 pm

Now that we have side-stepped into TV commercials, I can't remember if I brought this up several months ago, but it's awesome.

https://www.tvadvertmusic.com/2018/09/v ... cial-song/
--------

Estonut
Evil Genius

#15 Post by Estonut » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:17 am

Ritterskoop wrote:Now that we have side-stepped into TV commercials, I can't remember if I brought this up several months ago, but it's awesome.

Bleu was a long-time staple of the late, great Not Lame Music. Possibly related to that is that he has made appearances on T-Bone's Boney Awards over the years.
Groucho Marx

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:53 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:When I have an earworm, like the Liberty Mutual TV ad, my go-to to clear it is "Oh Babe, What Would You Say".

I'm with ya on that Liberty Mutual jingle. It is one of a number of extremely annoying commercials making me miserable.

Another one is from Target, who seem to have a knack for choosing songs that make me crazy, with that song "All The Ways", which I recently discovered is by Meghan Trainor, who also "graced" us with "All About The Bass". Suffice it to say she will be getting no Boneys anytime soon.

There's also a DiGiorno's ad running, it seems, every 10 minutes on MLB Network, where a woman sings "pan pan pan pan" to the opening notes of Beethoven's 5th in order to hawk their pan pizzas. I feel they may be trying to turn me against two of my favorite things, baseball and pizza. Curse them!

There's more, including some infuriating local ones, but my lip is starting to curl just thinking about them, so...
What I hate are the drug commercials that appropriate rock songs. For instance, Ozympic (a diabetes medicine) uses "It's Magic" by ELO, and another drug (I can't remember which one) that uses The Jackson 5's "One, Two, Three".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#17 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:08 am

Vandal wrote:TBone is but one "pan pan pan pan" away from:

Where did you get ahold of my old work I.D. photo??
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#18 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:10 am

Beast the Slacker wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:I have actually thought about a "what if" scenario similar in nature, being able to time travel back to a certain point and "write" a bunch of classic songs before they were originally conceived. The problem would be that the initial spark of creation for some songs happened quite a bit earlier than the actual completion of the composition, which would complicate things.

Nobody would be ready for it. But their kids are gonna love it...

John? This is Percy.
Your cousin, Percy Lennon. You know that new sound you're looking for?.....
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#19 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:19 am

Estonut wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:Now that we have side-stepped into TV commercials, I can't remember if I brought this up several months ago, but it's awesome.

Bleu was a long-time staple of the late, great Not Lame Music. Possibly related to that is that he has made appearances on T-Bone's Boney Awards over the years.

A good tune, Skoop. I liked it, but it JUST missed making my 2018 list (which will be revealed soon, hint hint). It was one of the last couple of songs eliminated.

You are correct Esto. Not Lame was where I discovered Bleu. I also liked his ELO-inspired project with other power pop notables, LEO.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#20 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:23 am

Oh, and Skoop, don't know if you knew this, but Bleu co-wrote two songs on Hanson's "The Walk", the album you successfully recommended to me a few years back.

He's also landed songs on albums by Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez, among others, but I'll try not to hold that against him :wink:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#21 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:26 am

earendel wrote:]
What I hate are the drug commercials that appropriate rock songs. For instance, Ozympic (a diabetes medicine) uses "It's Magic" by ELO, and another drug (I can't remember which one) that uses The Jackson 5's "One, Two, Three".
Also, those commercials take up 3/4 of their time listing all the possible side effects, which falls into "covering our butts legally", I suppose. What really makes me laugh and scratch my head is when they say "Do not take [.......] if you are allergic to it.."

Well, duh.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

tlynn78

#22 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:51 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
or that they pretty much don't know crap about music. They can hate 'em all they want, but not important? That's ignorance.
I don't know crap about music, but I know/agree with everything you said about the Beatles, and I was very young when they exploded onto the scene.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#23 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:16 am

tlynn78 wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:
or that they pretty much don't know crap about music. They can hate 'em all they want, but not important? That's ignorance.
I don't know crap about music, but I know/agree with everything you said about the Beatles, and I was very young when they exploded onto the scene.

That right there shows that you are knowledgeable enough to recognize their impact.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Vandal
Director of Promos

#24 Post by Vandal » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:31 am

tlynn78 wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:
We see you!

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

tlynn78

#25 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Vandal wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote: .....
We see you!

LOL -I was a touch younger than those girls - although my six-years-older sister was about that age..
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire