Adobe Brainiacs...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Adobe Brainiacs...

#1 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 07, 2008 8:06 am

I know you're out there, any input appreciated.

A co-worker wants Adobe Acrobat 8.0 and was quoted $742 for license etc.

I never paid a cent for the versiion I have at home. Does that make any sense? Is there an extra, exorbitant fee for the newest version?
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

BackInTex

#2 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 07, 2008 8:12 am

Adobe Acrobat Reader is free. Always has been, and will be. With the 'reader' versin you can read the pdf files created by Adobe Acrobat Standard (or Professional).

The Standard and Professional versions allow you to create pdf output from any other software and to edit and compile and create pdf documents from scratch. That is what you are paying for.

I have a Standard Version at work that is about $300, I think.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

earendel

Re: Adobe Brainiacs...

#3 Post by earendel » Wed May 07, 2008 8:13 am

SportsFan68 wrote:I know you're out there, any input appreciated.

I never paid a cent for the versiion I have at home. Does that make any sense? Is there an extra, exorbitant fee for the newest version?
I don't know how you came by your version (is it the full version, or just the reader?) but the price your co-worker was quoted is about right.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Wed May 07, 2008 8:14 am

Acrobat Reader is the free version. The full Acrobat, which lets you make your own pdf files and forms among other things, is what they charge for. No idea if that's a reasonable price or not.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 07, 2008 8:16 am

Check out E-bay on deals for 7.0.

If the co-worker wants 8.0 and doesn't have a previous version, it might be cheaper to buy a 7.0 version off e-bay then buy the upgrade for $100.

Just a thought (buyer beware).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

earendel

Re: Adobe Brainiacs...

#6 Post by earendel » Wed May 07, 2008 8:16 am

SportsFan68 wrote:I know you're out there, any input appreciated.

Following up on this...there are programs that do the same thing as Adobe but are less expensive. Our church uses a program called CutePDF, which makes Adobe-format documents but doesn't cost nearly as much as Adobe Acrobat. Also, the $742 sounds like it's for the Professional version, as opposed to the Standard version. Your co-worker may need Adobe but may not need the deluxe version. (No, I don't know exactly what the differences are.)
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 07, 2008 8:28 am

Thanks! That answers that. I do have just the reader, which is free.

He's doing the create forms, etc.

I think BiT's right -- I think there are caveat emptor ways to do it for less than $742. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for ending my confusion.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

themanintheseersuckersuit

#8 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed May 07, 2008 11:13 am

I use PDF Creator pro from Nuance to create forms. Its esp. good at converting pdf forms to forms that can be filled in with Adobe Reader. Its about $100.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.