I'm heading to Charm City

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

I'm heading to Charm City

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:22 pm

I just signed the contract for a six-month or longer job in the Baltimore area. I'll be flying there on March 1st.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: I'm heading to Charm City

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:52 am

I didn't know that Baltimore's nickname was Charm City, and I can see why. If it happened during my lifetime, it's not history. :mrgreen:

I did have to look it up. Still, I think this is true: "Baltimore has more history and unspoiled charm tucked away in quiet corners than most American cities out in the spotlight." The National Aquarium is the best.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:13 am

In 985, Eric the Red named one of the most inhospitable spots on Earth Greenland. The practice of giving attractive names to places that may not deserve them has continued for more than a millennium.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:27 am

jarnon wrote:In 985, Eric the Red named one of the most inhospitable spots on Earth Greenland. The practice of giving attractive names to places that may not deserve them has continued for more than a millennium.
I'll be 20 miles to the north.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:43 am

Bob Juch wrote:
jarnon wrote:In 985, Eric the Red named one of the most inhospitable spots on Earth Greenland. The practice of giving attractive names to places that may not deserve them has continued for more than a millennium.
And hopefully safely back in your room before dark.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:49 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Pikesville? Or Towson? Or maybe even Owings Mills? I rode the Metro out to Owings Mills for what reason I can't remember now. Maybe they have a huge mall out there. Or maybe just because it's the last stop.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:46 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Pikesville? Or Towson? Or maybe even Owings Mills? I rode the Metro out to Owings Mills for what reason I can't remember now. Maybe they have a huge mall out there. Or maybe just because it's the last stop.
Owings Mills. They do have a mall.

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:19 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: I'll be 20 miles to the north.
Owings Mills. They do have a mall.
And great backdrops for cheezy family photos.

Oh...wait...Nevermind.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)