RIP Peter Tork

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

RIP Peter Tork

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:10 am

Damn. One less Monkee in the world.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... 6252310d01
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

BackInTex

Re: RIP Peter Tork

#2 Post by BackInTex » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:39 am

Darn.

I'm pretty sure he was every underdog, geek or introverted younger boy's favorite Monkee. Davy was the girls'. Mickey was the studs' or cool kids' favorite. Mike was to stoners' and free spiriteds'
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:46 am

:(
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:24 pm

His name makes me think of a good childhood friend whose last name began with the syllable "Tork." To all but his family, he was mononymously known as "Tork."

I love everything about the Monkees. I am very glad that I was able to see the 3 still performing together (no Michael) the summer before Davy passed away.

RIP, Peter! Thanks for the show and the music!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:13 am

Estonut wrote:His name makes me think of a good childhood friend whose last name began with the syllable "Tork." To all but his family, he was mononymously known as "Tork."

I love everything about the Monkees. I am very glad that I was able to see the 3 still performing together (no Michael) the summer before Davy passed away.

RIP, Peter! Thanks for the show and the music!
Torquemada?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:53 am

BackInTex wrote:Darn.

Mike was to stoners' and free spiriteds'
Hmmm... Mike was MY favorite. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I know what you're thinking, but I was only 9 when they hit, so no :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was no Drew Barrymore...
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:00 am

Estonut wrote:I am very glad that I was able to see the 3 still performing together (no Michael) the summer before Davy passed away.
We saw Davy in an oldies show package just a year or two before he passed. I was hoping to catch Mike and Micky, as they are appearing in the area in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately circumstances are preventing that from happening for me. Peter's death further pushes the "better see them while you still can" narrative into my head, especially given Mike's own significant health problems last year.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Estonut
Evil Genius

#8 Post by Estonut » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:23 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:Peter's death further pushes the "better see them while you still can" narrative into my head, especially given Mike's own significant health problems last year.
I remember thinking the same about B.B. King in the mid- to late 80's. I thought he was much older at the time. I saw him at a tiny club in San Juan Capistrano and he went on to live and perform another 15 to 20 years!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#9 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:27 pm

About a million years ago, my siblings and I got a copy of Last Train to Clarksville on a 45. When we played the B side, it blew us away -- Take a Giant Step. We couldn't believe it wasn't a hit.

Sorta like we couldn't believe that Surfer Joe was the A side to Wipeout. We never had that one; I found out about it decades later.

The Monkees television show was great -- "don't miss" for me. Have I come a long way or . . . what.

RIP Peter and here's hoping for good health for the other two . . .
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller