g-mail has crapped up its accessibility

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

g-mail has crapped up its accessibility

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:34 pm

& says it won't go back. Not even after the pleas of visually-impaired people. Well, it gave one a temp fix which I can't find the gear-gadget icon for.

Maybe I'm icon-impaired on this tablet.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: g-mail has crapped up its accessibility

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:35 pm

ghostjmf wrote:& says it won't go back. Not even after the pleas of visually-impaired people. Well, it gave one a temp fix which I can't find the gear-gadget icon for.

Maybe I'm icon-impaired on this tablet.
What?
Well, then

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:54 pm

Beebs:

when it hits you it will have hit you.

Maybe they started up here just to plague me?

Right now they've got my 2 IDs scrambled & the only wsy to unscramble them requires an extra step.

Used to be the IDs were 2 diff colors. Not any more.

These are the worst of it.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:36 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Beebs:

when it hits you it will have hit you.

Maybe they started up here just to plague me?

Right now they've got my 2 IDs scrambled & the only wsy to unscramble them requires an extra step.

Used to be the IDs were 2 diff colors. Not any more.

These are the worst of it.
I'm sorry I just don't understand. I rarely use gmail but it has user id and password. What is the color 5hing?
Well, then

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:39 pm

Beebs:

I only use gmail. On this tablet they're hard-wired in, which was not my choice.

my ghostjmf ID was one color circle. My other ID was another color, I think blue.

With their new system you have a choice of hitting one creepy little new icon, a diff icon for the other ID for "ha ha we've scrambled your accounts", or your initial, which gives you a choice of switching to the other ID. Unscrambled.

Too many steps, & the visually-impaired want the colors back, among other features.

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:13 pm

I had that experience for a minute on my iPod touch; the interface changed a bit. My work account and school account inboxes merged, sort of.

Fiddling with it got it back to what I wanted. I just kept tapping things and eventually it was OK.

It took me a while, early on, to get that these devices are more about "tap" than about "push".

I think the colors issue is because about 10% of people are color blind, so developers are always looking for ways to sort things that aren't about color.

Good luck.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:28 am

Ritterskoop:

Thanks for the corroboration.

No amount of tapping is getting me back to 1 icon for each separate inbox. Believe me, I've tapped. What I have gotten to is having to go to my initial. Too many steps. And why did they imagine merging inboxes was good?

The low-vision crowd doesn't care about colors, though they help, as much as they want *larger*. Which g-mail could easily give them but won't.

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:06 am

And I just found out writing a letter requires hitting a cross in the lower right corner instead of an arrow.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:11 am

I never like it when sites I’ve been using for a long time suddenly change their user interface. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#10 Post by Estonut » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:30 am

Bob78164 wrote:I never like it when sites I’ve been using for a long time suddenly change their user interface.
They often claim it's to enhance the "user experience," yet often leave one wondering if they were ever users of the software in the first place. I don't care about pictures and colors if I have to click 3 buttons or links to do what I used to be able to do with 1.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:13 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I never like it when sites I’ve been using for a long time suddenly change their user interface.
They often claim it's to enhance the "user experience," yet often leave one wondering if they were ever users of the software in the first place. I don't care about pictures and colors if I have to click 3 buttons or links to do what I used to be able to do with 1.
They're lying about "enhancing the user experience." What they did is find a way to transfer money from someone else's pocket into theirs, or reduce their costs, or in some other way increase their profitability. I've been a member of Toastmasters International for about a million years, and just recently they've switched from hard copies of educational materials to online-based. To get hard copies of the materials, you have to pay an extra $25 for each module. They insist that this will "enhance member experience" and increase retention and educational advancement. One thing for sure, it will dramatically reduce printing and mailing costs.

One of my best friends sells insurance, and the company recently switched to a platform that is impossible to use at most WiFi sites. Since that's where my friend makes about 90% of his sales, the company is about to lose sales and probably one of its best salespeople. I don't know how the company increases its profitability with the new cumbersome platform, but I hope it makes up for the loss in business.

Sorry for the tangent. It's just that whenever I see that "enhance" phrase, I'm sure that it means that profits are what's being enhanced at the expense of the user.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller