The 2018 Boneys-The Songs

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

The 2018 Boneys-The Songs

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:57 am

Hard to believe, but this is the 12th year that I've shared my list of favorite music for the year just passed. You won't find too many similarities between my list and what plays on current radio, although a FEW names should be familiar. Also, there's no way these lists could EVER be definitive, since I can't be aware of, much less listen to, every release that comes out. This list, therefore comprises the music that did show up on my radar in 2018. No judgements here on whether or not it's the "best" music, just my FAVORITE music of 2018.

You will notice a LOT of remakes aka "cover versions", or tributes, on the list this year. Twenty by my count, a full 25%. There may be a couple more, even, that I didn't KNOW were covers (that happened last year when I didn't realize that one of my selections was actually a cover of a Taylor Swift song..let's just say that after hearing the original, I am gladly sticking to the cover). Anyway, I don't know if it's because they're so darn good or if it's because I found the original music lacking a bit in comparison to years past...probably both, but I enjoyed, and enjoy, listening to these songs. So here we go..time to get started in the grand unveiling...

80. BE OF GOOD HEART-JOAN BAEZ
Album: Whistle Down The Wind

In all honesty, I've never been much of a fan, but something about this one resonated with me.

79. BRING IT TO JEROME-BILLY GIBBONS
Album: The Big Bad Blues

The ZZ Top guitarist/vocalist steps out on his own but doesn't stray too far from his strong suit.

78. MY GREATEST INVENTION-DAWES
Album: Passwords

This was the band that made my favorite album of 2015. This is a very quiet piece of melancholy.

77. FUTURE-THE REVIVALISTS
Album: Take Good Care

Pedal to the metal modern rock.

76. PUSHOVER-STREETCAR CONDUCTORS
Album: The Very Best of The Streecar Conductors

The album title is a tad misleading, it's an album of new material. Not the first time an artist has used this little joke. There's no denying though, this song is a catchy little tune.

75. A LITTLE HONEY-NATHANIEL RATELIFF & THE NIGHT SWEATS
Album: Tearing At The Seams

Horn-backed R & B.

74. WASTED AND IN LOVE-LINUS OF HOLLYWOOD
Album: Cabin Life

Nice solid pop-rock tune with some nifty little harmonies.

73. EMILY COME BACK-MICK TERRY
Album: Days Go Back

Another agreeable light rock number with a wistful lead vocal.

72. FUZZY DISCO-TALKIE
Album: Fundamental Things

If more of what was dominating the charts back in the late 70's sounded like this "disco" tune, perhaps I wouldn't have hated it so much.

71. TRIP THE LIGHT FANTASTIC-TWO SHEDS JACKSON
Album: Some Kinda Life

Like the band Toad The Wet Sprocket, this group takes its name from a Monty Python sketch. This entry has a nice McCartney-esque chorus.

70. KING JAMES-DOWNSTATE DARLINGS
Album: none (Digital Single)

80's New Wave-ish pop tune with a nifty little synthesizer riff.

69. EVERYDAY I HAVE THE BLUES-VAN MORRISON w/JOEY DeFRANCESCO
Album: You're Driving Me Crazy

Oh come now, you really didn't think there would be a year-end list by me that didn't include at least one song by the prolific Mr. Morrison, did you? This is taken from his collaborative album with keyboardist DeFrancesco. And a finger poppin' song it is, indeed.

68. FALLEN ANGEL-THREE HOUR TOUR
Album: You Never Know

This band's sound falls solidly in 1966 Beatles territory, and that comparison is helped considerably by the similarity of the singer's voice to John Lennon at his sneering best.

67. I GET WEAK-AMOS LEE
Album: My New Moon

Another artist who shows up a lot on my countdowns. This one's a slow burning, mysterious sounding but quite pretty ballad.

66. A LITTLE MORE LOVE-JULIANA HATFIELD
Album: Juliana Hatfield Sings Olivia Newton-John

The Boston-area indie-rocker (The Lemonheads, Juliana Hatfield Three) came out of nowhere with her ONJ tribute album. Not an artist I would've associated with her, but it works. My favorite track is this one, as she punches up the instrumentation to give it a little extra kick.

65. GOOD KISSER-LAKE STREET DIVE
Album: Free Yourself Up

Like the previous artist in the countdown, this band got its start in Boston. This tune sounds to me like a 60's Atlantic Records R & B number. A fine power vocal carries it along nicely.

64. STAND-VALLEY LODGE
Album: Fog Machine

From Brooklyn NY this power pop outfit stretches out into different territory on their latest album. This song is much more in the "modern pop" category than power pop, but quite catchy nonetheless.

63. GILDED CAGE-ADRIAN WHITEHEAD
Album: Nerd From The Suburbs

A nice 70's style midtempo pop number.

62. WHITE NOISE-STEVEN PAGE
Album: Discipline: Heal Thyself, Part II

The former Barenaked Ladies frontman rocks out on this track from his 6th solo record. Warning..he's not a fan of the man in the Oval Office. To those of you who are...well, you might consider skipping ahead to #61...

61. EVERYBODY'S LONELY-JUKEBOX THE GHOST
Album: Off To The Races

Theatrical pop in the vein of fun.

20 down, 60 to go...the countdown continues below....
Last edited by T_Bone0806 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: The 2018 Boneys

#2 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:43 am

#60-#41:

60. SACRIFICE-DON HENLEY AND VINCE GILL
Album: Restoration: Reimagining the Songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin

Taken from one of two tribute albums released last year celebrating the songwriting talents of Elton John and Bernie Taupin. This track features two members of The Eagles...yes, Gill is an Eagle now...blending their terrific voices. It suits them perfectly.

59. KISS ME-MAGIC!
Album: Expectations

This Canadian pop-reggae band placed second on my 2014 list with their song "Rude". They stick with the formula here, and although it doesn't quite compare to "Rude" for me, it's still plenty catchy enough to land on this year's list

58. 'TIL THE DAY THAT I BREAK DOWN-BILL LLOYD
Album: Working The Long Game

This fella's been plying his trade for a while now, and it's evident...he definitely knows how to put a good pop tune together. An agreeable melody set against a solid rhythm.

57. EVERYBODY KNOWS-THE JAYHAWKS
Album: Back Roads and Abandoned Motels

I always look forward to a new release from this Americana band. This sweet melody set against a uptempo but laid back rhythm is my favorite off their latest album.

56. JUST CAN'T WIN-ZOMBIES OF THE STRATOSPHERE
Album: The Physical Kids

As you might expect from the group's name, the music here is kinda spaced out, but the melody itself is quite accessible. Pretty groovy, man..

55. LOVE CHANGES EVERYTHING-STING AND SHAGGY
Album: 44/876

This rather odd pairing of the ever-so serious..some might even say pretentious..ex-frontman of The Police with the Jamaican known for "Boombastic" and "It Wasn't Me" might seem a little weird at first, but the Reggae beats are certainly nothing new for Sting...A LOT of his former band's material carried Reggae rhythms. I liked about half of the tunes on the album this track was taken from. The other half I honestly couldn't stand. This one was my favorite, although it is pretty much all Sting. The song was originally featured in the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical "Aspects of Love".

54. LOST IN SPACE-JIM LEA
Album: Lost In Space (EP)

This guy was the bass player for 70's/80's Glam Rockers Slade. Talk about out-of-left-field appearances! This pleasant, easygoing tune certainly is not something you'd have expected from a former member of the loud and proud Slade. A nice surprise to be sure!

53. COME AND GO BLUES-ALISON KRAUSS
Album: Muscle Shoals: Small Town, Big Sound

This comes from an album saluting the legendary Alabama recording studios responsible for the "Muscle Shoals" sound. Krauss puts a low-key but still soulful spin on this Allman Brothers track, originally on their "Brothers and Sisters" album.

52. AT ALL-LINUS OF HOLLYWOOD
Album: Cabin Life

His second entry on this list. This guy has worked with a ton of musicians, well-known and unknown, both as performer and producer. He's also written music for television and appeared
onscreen. He has a terrific ear for a good melody, as is evident on this Beatles-inspired number. The beat and harmonies are pure British Invasion.

51. LEARNING TO FLY-CARPENTER, SMITH AND JONES
Album: Petty

Michael Carpenter joins forces with the duo of Abbie Smith and Sophie Jones on an album of tributes to the late great Tom Petty. The resulting blend of voices is magic. This pretty acoustic reworking of one of Petty's great songs is a prime example.

50. SOMEDAY MAN-ZACH JONES
Album: White Lace and Promises: The Songs of Paul Williams

Yet another track from a tribute album, this one saluting the work of Paul Williams, the diminutive songwriter/actor who seemingly wrote
half of the songs on the charts and appeared on pretty much every tv show, both variety and scripted shows, back in the 70's. The dude
was EVERYWHERE. This is one of his lesser known compositions, originally a minor hit by The Monkees as they were winding down their first
run of popularity. Zack Jones takes over for DAVY Jones and does a fine job.

49. HEAVEN HELP US ALL-THE BAND OF HEATHENS
Album: A Message From The People Revisited

Yup, yet ANOTHER remake. Miraculously, the Heathens retain the soulfulness of the powerful Stevie Wonder original. The album this remake
comes from, however, is a track-by-track cover of a 1972 Ray Charles album. Sure shows guts to take on Stevie AND Ray, but the Heathens
perform admirably.

48. HAPPY-JEREMY MESSERSMITH
Album: Late Stage Capitalism

This one definitely makes good on the promise of its title. Its cheerful, sunny vibe has GOT to remind you of The Turtles..I can SO hear them singing this.
Adding a George Harrison-ish guitar scores even more points with me.

47. VELVET ELVIS-KACEY MUSGRAVES
Album: Golden Hour

The first of FOUR tracks on this list from my favorite album of 2018. This song is....well...it's adorable, is what it is.

46. GIRLFRIEND-MICHAEL CARPENTER
Album: Altered Sweet

Multi-hyphened Carpenter (Singer-Musician/Songwriter/Producer/Video Director) shows up SIX times on this year's list...seven if you count the song coming up later at #29, for which he directed the video. He's on the list three times as part of Carpenter, Smith and Jones, twice as part of the duo Supahip, and once under his own name..this one, taken from a multi-artist tribute to Power Pop heavy hitter Matthew Sweet. Carpenter rocks it a little harder than the original, and backs it with spot-on harmonies from his April Family bandmate (another group he's a part of, which we'll likely see represented on next year's list) Kylie Whitney. They used to call James Brown the hardest working man in show business. These days it might be Michael Carpenter.

45. UNDER SURVEILLANCE-EXTRA ARMS
Album: Headacher

Musically, reminds me a lot of 90's pop-rockers Gin Blossoms. Good, loud, head-nodding stuff.

44. IT'S NOT LIVING (IF IT'S NOT WITH YOU)-THE 1975
Album: A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships

Despite the group's name, this song sounds like something that would've been all over the radio in 1985, not '75.

43. THE ONLY LIVING BOY IN NEW YORK-THE SUPAHIP
Album: The Two-Sided Face

The Supahip is the duo of Michael Carpenter and Mark Moldre. Their update of the Simon and Garfunkel track is a touch edgier than
the original without losing the melodicism of Paul Simon's wonderful composition. The original was on my list of 350 all-time favorites,
and The Supahip does it significant justice.

42. FEEL GOOD-SETH TIMBS
Album: Record and Pause

Timbs at one time led an outfit called Fluid Ounces. His piano-based material is very much in the same yard as that of Ben Folds.

41. FUH YOU-PAUL McCARTNEY
Album: Egypt Station

Oh, Paul, you rascal you. What he's saying in the chorus of this song, co-written with Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic, is "I just want it FOR you". But what it SOUNDS LIKE...well, his sudden problem with proper diction results in something that will likely cause you to do a double take and think "WHAT did he just sing???" This one's probably not something you wanna blast at work or in front of the wee ones, although TECHNICALLY there's no naughty words in it. Since the tune itself is so infectiously charming, I'll let slide the 76 year-old's winking schoolboy humor. Bonus points for the video, set on the streets of Liverpool. I swear, one of the houses looks like John Lennon's childhood home, but I didn't find anything online to confirm it. I also like how the young lad in the video is called Jamie...McCartney's real first name is James..

Halfway through...the countdown continues below..
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: The 2018 Boneys-The Songs

#3 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:11 am

Top 40 Time!

40. JEALOUS SUN-DAVID MYHR
Album: Lucky Day

He was one half of the Swedish duo The Merrymakers. He's placed high on my countdowns several times in the past. His mastery of pop songcraft is still on display here.

39. SLOW BURN-KACEY MUSGRAVES

I've read a couple of comments comparing this to early 70's Neil Young..that's a pretty fair comparison. Her understated bittersweet sounding vocal
is breathtaking.

38. GRAFFITI-CHVRCHES
Album: Love Is Dead

A melodic piece of modern pop driven by a strong synthesizer hook and plaintive vocal.

37. LOVE IS REAL-ASTRAL DRIVE
Album: Astral Drive

You couldn't get this to sound more like Todd Rundgren without actually GETTING Todd to sing it. Much of the album sounds like Todd circa 1972 but
this particular tune calls to mind his 1981 single "Time Heals". As a Rundgren fan I heartily endorse this song.

36. HERE COMES THE RAPTURE-PAUL McCANN
Album: Here Comes The Rapture

Power Pop that sounds to me like it came out of The Raspberries' backyard.

35. ONE REVOLUTION-LISA MYCHOLS
Album: Sugar

She appeared 4 times on last year's list, and she's represented quite nicely this year as well. She's definitely on a hot streak, at least
to my ears. This here's a groovy 60's flashback.

34. THANKS FOR CALLING-BIRD STREETS
Album: Bird Streets

A sprightly little ditty about the dubious value of sharing too much information. In other words, in some cases ignorance truly IS bliss.

33. FROM NOW ON-ZAC BROWN BAND
Album: The Greatest Showman Reimagined

A powerful take on a song from the movie musical loosely telling the story of P. T. Barnum. The facts may be distorted, but the movie's
music was terrific in my opinion. The band here puts some country spin on it, but maintains the rousing impact of the anthem-like composition.

32. COME BACK TO BED-VALLEY LODGE
Album: Fog Machine

For those of you wondering "hey, where's the old school hard rock?", well...here ya go. The riff here is straight out of the
playbook of the 70's era Aerosmith.

31. BUTTERFLIES-KACEY MUSGRAVES

Yet another track from my favorite album of the year. This is just a sweet, lovely vocal. Although her voice definitely is
country tinged, the song itself is very gentle pop.

30. GET OLDER-CokeROQUE
Album: Altered Sweet: A Tribute To Matthew Sweet

Another track from the Matthew Sweet tribute album. Actually, it sounds like an old Herman's Hermits tune with Brian Wilson
production flourishes. The result is delightful. There doesn't appear to be a video of any kind available, so here's an audio link:

https://futuremanrecords.bandcamp.com/track/get-older

29. HANDS ARE CLEAN-ANGUS GILL
Album: Nomad

This light country rock tune has a tremendously infectious chorus and for those scared off by the word "country", not to worry it's
far from "twangy"..the country elements are not overpowering and, in fact, the banjo here is indispensible to the overall quality
of the song. Side note: I love the direction the melody takes when the additional voices join in on the repeat of the line "figure it
all out". Little things like that often make or break a song for me.

28. IN THE MOMENT-THE WEEKLINGS
Album: none (digital single)

This band was on my list from last year with a cover of The Beatles' "Paperback Writer". They also recorded a version of "Winter
Wonderland" using "Revolution" as a foundation. And their first two albums contained a number of tunes written by Lennon
and McCartney, but never recorded by The Beatles. So it shouldn't surprise you that there are echoes of the Fab Four here. A good rockin'
pop tune.

27. SIREN CALL-HANSON

Album: String Theory

This comes from a double album that combines the group's tunes, some from their back catalogue and some rare or previously unreleased,
and recasts them with the band supported by the Prague Symphony. The trio of brothers have come a LONG way since "MmmBop", so if that's
all you know from them, check out this intense offering for proof of their musical maturation.

26. SHE WAKES ME UP (RESCUE ME)-ASHLEY MONROE
Album: Sparrow

A very sweet ode from a mother to a daughter (even though Monroe had just given birth to a son-go figure).

25. MARCY-TALKIE
Album: Fundamental Things

Second entry on my list for this San Francisco outfit. A nice, breezy modern pop tune that lets its hair down a little toward the end.

24. PLANS-GRETCHEN'S WHEEL
Album: Black Box Theory

Despite the band moniker, this is a one-woman show, one Lindsay Murray, with an assist by one other musician on drums and some guitar/keyboard sweetenings.
This song is a somewhat sinister yet laid back rocker with vocals sort of a cross between Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles and Shawn Colvin, although
this has a little more grit in it than music normally associated with those artists.

23. I WON'T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU-CHRIS PRICE
Album: White Lace and Promises: The Songs Of Paul Williams

Another track from the tribute album to the hit songwriter. Originally a soft pop ballad by The Carpenters, Price puts some backbone in it,
without sacrificing its melodic attributes.

22. RUNNING BLIND-THE SUPAHIP
Album: The Two-Sided Face

The duo of Michael Carpenter and Mark Moldre go full on "Revolver" on this, their second appearance on my list. Indeed, it would not sound out
of place on that Beatles album alongside tunes like "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "I'm Only Sleeping".

21. WON'T LOOK BACK-JOSH GROBAN
Album: Bridges

OK, I admit it. Every now and then I'm susceptible to a big, schmaltzy ballad. So sue me.

The heavy hitters are next as we enter the Top 20...
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:06 am

Here we go, my Top 20 for the year...

20. THE GREATEST SHOW-PANIC! AT THE DISCO
Album: The Greatest Showman: Reimagined

The bombast of Panic! At The Disco is the perfect choice to tackle the opening song of the Hugh Jackman movie musical.

19. COME ON TO ME-PAUL McCARTNEY
Album: Egypt Station

The problem with any new music Macca releases is that it's always going to be compared to his work in the glory years. No way
am I going to tell you that Paul has created a groundbreaking new composition here. Nope, nothing reinvents the wheel here in
the least. It's just a head-bopping, harmless little sing-along number that shows Sir Paul still knows how to please the ears...and after
56 years of making records, he's sounding like he's having more fun than he has in years. And, to quote a line from one of his biggest hits,
"what's wrong with that?"

18. IS THAT OUR STAR?-ASTRAL DRIVE

Early 70's era Todd Rundgren-inspired pop balladry. Derivative? Sure. Infectious and exceedingly pleasant? Yup, that too.

17. THE LAST TIME-THE LONGSHOT
Album: Love is For Losers

A side project for Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, it doesn't really stray much from that band's formula, except maybe leaning a little more
power pop than punk/pop. Maybe he just wanted to work without his usual bandmates. At any rate, this is a fine loud and proud number with
definite Beatle influences.

16. OLD GLORIES-RENO BO
Album: none (digital track)

Only the FIRST of THREE entries on this list..the others are in the Top 10..and none of them sound quite like the other. This one is a
reflective acoustic number sweetened with strings and infused with an Americana feel.

15. WALLS-CARPENTER, SMITH AND JONES

Carpenter's emotional connection to Tom Petty's music is evident on this cover. It's a heartfelt performance, made even sweeter with
the harmonies by Abby Smith and Sophie Jones.

14. LET IT GO TONIGHT-DANNY WILKERSON
Album: Wilkerson

A pretty, pretty midtempo ballad with a George Harrison-like guitar part and perfect string punctuation. The chorus absolutely soars. You can also hear traces of "Strawberry Fields Forever" and Don Henley's "The Last Worthless Evening" in here.

13. COLORFUL-JUKEBOX THE GHOST
Album: Off To The Races

A bright and cheerful piece of piano-based modern pop. Quite infectious.

12. YOU STILL BELIEVE IN ME-THE BEACH BOYS w/THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA
Album: The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

This follows in the footsteps of last year's album that paired Roy Orbison vocal tracks with newly recorded backing by the Philharmonic. This album
does the same with old Beach Boys vocals and instrumentation, adding symphonic touches. This entry is the absolutely beautiful "Pet Sounds" track.
Meshing the full orchestra with the completely stunning harmonies of the original takes this to a higher level. I must add, however, that the only reason it's not ranked higher here is because it doesn't COMPLETELY transform the song...the bar couldn't have been raised too much, since it was ALREADY set
pretty high. Still, I thought I couldn't possibly love this song anymore than I already did. I was wrong.

11. THREE LITTLE BIRDS-MAROON 5

A very bright and happy cover of a Bob Marley song. I haven't thought much of Maroon 5's output as of late, and this apparently was recorded as
part of Hyundai’s campaign for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, so it's not even part of a Maroon 5 album. Figures it would be one of the few things in the last several years that I actually like.

10. SUMMER OF '76-ASTRAL DRIVE

OK, again, I have to mention the Todd Rundgren comparison, but there's really no way around it. If you had told me that this was a cover of an unused track from "Something/Anything", I wouldn't have batted an eye..it's that dead-on. And it's pure heaven for Rundgren fans.

9. A.I. GIRLS-DAISY HOUSE
Album: Bon Voyage

This is a father-daughter combo out of Southern California. This particular song carries a Moody Blues meet The Byrds flavor. It has a slightly spooky edge
to it, yet the melody is very accessible. This is an audio link only, I couldn't find a video.

https://daisyhouse.bandcamp.com/track/a-i-girls

8. DARLIN'-THE BEACH BOYS WITH THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA
Album: The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

I should explain something. I like the original recording of this song a lot, but I LOVE the original recording of the song at #12 on my list. So why is this
one ranked higher? Because the orchestral backing here has a much greater impact than it does with my #12 entry. It enhances that one, to be sure, but the treatment on "Darlin'" transforms it in a huge way in my opinion, giving it a more powerful, dynamic punch. The mix brings out those terrific group harmonies more as well. You wouldn't think a symphony orchestra added to a rhythm and blues inspired song would work, but I think it does, wonderfully. I've always LIKED the song, but I LOVE this update.

7. HAVE YOU SEEN HER FACE?-RENO BO

This is a remake of a "shoulda been a hit" by The Byrds from 1967. It peaked only at #74, although it was enough of a regional hit in my area
that I was able to buy a copy of the single at my local record store. It is a great cover, adding a little modern punch to the original.

6. LISTEN TO HER HEART-CARPENTER, SMITH AND JONES

The third track from the trio's Tom Petty tribute album transforms the power popper from Petty's second album into a killer Alternative Country tune.
The harmonies are the selling point here. Just exquisite.

5. SPACE COWBOY-KACEY MUSGRAVES

The 4th of the 4 tracks on my list from my #1 album of the year, which also won the Grammy for Album of the Year a short time ago. This particular
song is highlighted by an absolutely stunning vocal performance. Heartbroken, stoic, philosophical and determined all wrapped up in one package. The departing lover she is singing goodbye to is not a "space cowboy" as in the Steve Miller Band sense. Rather, she is telling him "you can have your
space, cowboy". On my album list, I compared her voice to a Alison Krauss/Dolly Parton hybrid. Nowhere is it more apropos than on this track. BUT...do NOT let that frighten you if you don't like country music. This performance transcends definitive labels.

4. LITTLE DREAM-RENO BO
Album: none (digital single)

The highest ranked of the three songs by this artist that made my Top 16 this year is this solid number, which, unlike the quiet melancholy of the #16 track, or the 60's sound of my #7 track, has that "working man's" rock sound of Springsteen, Mellencamp, and Seger. This dude is nothing if not versatile.

3. CLOSER-KEN SHARP
Album: Beauty In The Backseat

This one is going to be a bit polarizing I think. Some will be charmed by its sweet nostalgic innocence, harkening back to an earlier time
in music when the airwaves weren't so worldly wise...or at least weren't so blatant about their intentions. Others will find it TOO sweet, sickeningly
so. And still others will be turned off by Sharp's voice here, which kinda sounds like John Lennon after inhaling a goodly amount of helium. Since I have it ranked at # 3, I guess I don't have to tell you which side of the fence I'm on.

2. LET ME KNOW-KAI DANZBERG WITH LISA MYCHOLS
Album: advance track from Not Only Sunshine

Last year, Lisa Mychols occupied this very slot with "He's Got Me Dreaming". This year, she guests on this duet from Danzberg's forthcoming
album. Both are superior pop songcrafters, and despite the fact that the opening "borrows" liberally from Cheap Trick's "I Want You To Want Me", it's so
darn bright and happy, with wonderful 60's type flourishes, that I just can't whistle a foul here. It's one of those tunes that translates into "instant good mood".

Two choices here..the first is a link to the Youtube video..it's somehow rigged so that the only way to see it is to view it on Youtube itself. If you don't want to go there, you can use the second link, which is an audio only link. Either way I can't imbed it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMK2MU8 ... r_embedded

https://kaidanzberg.bandcamp.com/track/let-me-know

1. DREAM IT DO IT-HANSON
String Theory

When "MmmBop" was ruling the charts some years ago, if you'd have told me that some day that trio of brothers would be behind my favorite song of a particular year, I would've assumed that sometime between the two events, aliens would be kidnapping me and replacing me with one of their own. Yet
here we are. And to be honest, there weren't ANY songs this year that felt like a clear cut, no doubt about it #1, although obviously there were plenty of songs I liked. Still, of all the candidates, this was the one I kept coming back to. It's anthemic feel and monster of an orchestral hook stakes its claim on my brain for the rest of the day whenever I play it. Ever since 2007's The Walk, their sound and style has matured as they have in age. They've come a
long way since "MmmBop".

And so...another year's countdown in the books. Hope you found at least a few new tunes to enjoy. If so, remember most of these
artists don't make a ton of money, so if you can, support them with a cd purchase or download, Most of my music is purchased on
Bandcamp.com, CD Baby.com, iTunes, or Amazon. com. See ya next year!
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:47 pm

So excited to go through this list and buy some stuff! The Carpenter angle looks to be the most promising for me, and Hanson. But there seems to be plenty of piano pop throughout. Heaven.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:09 pm

Oh my goodness, the very first one is gorgeous! I too, would not have guessed Joan Baez would be so pure sounding.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:20 pm

Wow, lots of songs clicked for me in that first 20, even only playing snippets.

I also love the new Jukebox the Ghost album, but the song I can't stop playing is Fred Astaire. Everybody's Lonely is also a fave.

I made notes to check out these albums: (new to me) Streetcar Conductors, Lake Street Dive, Valley Lodge; (already had some experience with) Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats, Two Sheds Jackson.

And that's only the first 20! I love this time of year with our pal TBone shows us the way.
--------

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#8 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:24 am

Glad many of these are clicking for you so far. Please let me know what you settle on, or if you have trouble finding any ones that you are interested in.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck