Transcript May 7, 2008 Lisa LaGore

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript May 7, 2008 Lisa LaGore

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed May 07, 2008 2:11 pm

Transcript May 7,2008

Lisa LaGore
Eastpointe, MI

Carryover contestant at $500. All lifelines remain.

$1000
Derived from an old hymn, the slogan "We shall overcome" is most closely associated with what movement in U.S. History?

A: Civil rights
B: Women's suffrage
C: Pacifism
D: Prohibition

$2000
The Catskill/Delaware watershed provides what major U.S. city with about ninety percent of its drinking water?

A: Los Angeles
B: Chicago
C: New York
D: St Louis

$4000
What popular 1960's TV series featured a piano-playing, TV-watching pig named Arnold?

A: My Favorite Martian
B: The Beverly Hillbillies
C: My Mother the Car
D: Green Acres

$8000
According to a 2006 CDC report, what is the average life expectancy of an American man?

A: 72
B: 75
C: 78
D: 81

Lisa asks the audience.

ATA:

A: 30%
B: 35%
C: 33%
D: 2%

Meredith says "that's pathetic!" With no discussion, Lisa goes ahead and guesses despite the small difference in percentages.

$16000
The title of the 2007 film "In the Valley of Elah" refers to the location of what famous Biblical event?

A: Resurrection of Jesus
B: Building of Noah's ark
C: Battle of David and Goliath
D: Creation of Adam and Eve

50/50 leaves

Lisa needs some of the money to get a new chimney.

$25000
According to a quote often credited to Charles Darwin, who is "a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there"?

A: Physicist
B: Archaeologist
C: Astronomer
D: Mathematician

Lisa calls her cousin, Karen, who never heard of that quote and has no idea. Lisa is thinking about going for it, although she knows her husband is starting the car and ready to go home with $16,000. She decides to guess "c", but changes her mind and goes with "b" and leaves with $1000.

Answers:

$1000 A - Civil Rights
$2000 C - New York
$4000 D - Green Acres
$8000 B - 75
$16000 C - Battle of David and Goliath
$25000 D - Mathematician

gsabc

Re: Transcript May 7, 2008 Lisa LaGore

#2 Post by gsabc » Wed May 07, 2008 2:46 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Transcript May 7,2008

Lisa LaGore
Eastpointe, MI
I guess she'll be a few bricks shy of a full load then. Plus ten points for going for it, minus $15,000 for getting it wrong.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Wed May 07, 2008 2:56 pm

This seemed to me to be one of the more difficult mid-range runs we've seen for a long time. The 8K choices were scary, the 16K was a prospective tripwire, and the 25K question was an "either you know it or you don't."

Very few contestants could have felt confident with that stack.

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by etaoin22 » Wed May 07, 2008 4:33 pm

Someone has a sense of humor, placing the Bible and Darwin one after another.

With Darwin worth more.

Snaxx

#5 Post by Snaxx » Wed May 07, 2008 6:18 pm

$8000
According to a 2006 CDC report, what is the average life expectancy of an American man?

Lisa asks the audience.

ATA:

Meredith says "that's pathetic!" With no discussion, Lisa goes ahead and guesses despite the small difference in percentages.
With those choices this looks like a typical 50K question that I would STQ before resorting to any other lifelines. Unless I really could narrow it to 72 or 75 then I might try 50/50. Since I just turned 37.5, half of 75, this is my midlife crisis :) I remember taking some sort of online fun-quiz posted by a BB (When will you die?) that also said I would live to 75.

Oh, and another nurse bites the dust at 25K and falls to 1K. Drat!

---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

NellyLunatic1980

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu May 08, 2008 4:36 am

$8K: I would've been gone on this question. I thought it was 78 for a man, 81 for a woman.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25000
According to a quote often credited to Charles Darwin, who is "a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there"?

E: Phone-A-Friend

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Thu May 08, 2008 5:20 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$8K: I would've been gone on this question. I thought it was 78 for a man, 81 for a woman.

E: Phone-A-Friend
Correction: A Google-less PAF.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Thu May 08, 2008 5:25 am

Lisa LaGore
Eastpointe, MI

Carryover contestant at $500. All lifelines remain.
I was rooting for her as I do for all nurses.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000
What popular 1960's TV series featured a piano-playing, TV-watching pig named Arnold?

A: My Favorite Martian
B: The Beverly Hillbillies
C: My Mother the Car
D: Green Acres
Lisa's comment before she gave her answer was something about her mother saying that watching TV would never get you anything.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000

Lisa asks the audience.

ATA:

Wow, Meredith, scolding the audience?? I knew it used to be around 72, but couldn't be sure enough not to use a lifeline. I'll go with 50/50 since I expect it to be either B or C. If those two come up as the results, time to PAF.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16000
The title of the 2007 film "In the Valley of Elah" refers to the location of what famous Biblical event?

A: Resurrection of Jesus
D: Creation of Adam and Eve

50/50 leaves

Not only was this mentioned in several reviews, but as a Biblical scholar the answer was simple. Lisa did a good job of eliminating the other possibilities but just couldn't pull the trigger.

Lisa calls her cousin, Karen, who never heard of that quote and has no idea. Lisa is thinking about going for it, although she knows her husband is starting the car and ready to go home with $16,000. She decides to guess "c", but changes her mind and goes with "b" and leaves with $1000.
I'm not sure why I knew this one, but I did.

So Lisa won't be getting a new chimney; after taxes she may net enough to pay for her trip, given the price of gasoline.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

slam

#9 Post by slam » Thu May 08, 2008 6:43 am

I would have been gone on the life expectancy clue also. I felt confident that it was 78. I don't doubt that the particular study they cited says 75, but I certainly recall seeing numbers in line with NellyLunatic's. All in all, a very tough clue though it should have been obvious that the audience wouldn't have been at all helpful. I'd probably go 50/50 and close my eyes and pick one. Maybe I"d get luck and 81 would pop up.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 7:09 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $8000

Lisa asks the audience.

ATA:

If you hadn't noticed, Meredith, those choices were very close together. Anyone who hasn't memorized the latest statistics could very well believe any of those answer might be correct. :evil:

Yeesh! How is Darwin associated with any of these fields? I'd be afraid of the contestant (and the audience, if the ATA was used) would confuse archaeology with paleontology and associate that with Darwin.

This was a wicked middle tier, without even resorting to pop culture!

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 7:17 am

Lisa's run gets one sentence in this column:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 80327/1046

smilergrogan

#12 Post by smilergrogan » Thu May 08, 2008 7:35 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

Yeesh! How is Darwin associated with any of these fields? I'd be afraid of the contestant (and the audience, if the ATA was used) would confuse archaeology with paleontology and associate that with Darwin.
What an odd quote. First, why would Darwin say such a thing, and second, why would he say such a thing about mathematicians.? It would be more apt in reference to just about any kind of scientist than a mathematician, who deals in absolute certainties almost exclusively (even probability theorists deal with quantifiable uncertainties). As far as I can tell, it is not from any of Darwin's voluminous writings, and was first attributed to him in the 1940s. Most likely, he never said it. One source suggests the quote, whoever said it first, was about theologians (or philosophers). This makes more sense to me, and might explain why it is attributed to Darwin, whose work is often mischaracterized as antagonistic to theology.

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 7:44 am

smilergrogan wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

What an odd quote. First, why would Darwin say such a thing, and second, why would he say such a thing about mathematicians.? It would be more apt in reference to just about any kind of scientist than a mathematician, who deals in absolute certainties almost exclusively (even probability theorists deal with quantifiable uncertainties). As far as I can tell, it is not from any of Darwin's voluminous writings, and was first attributed to him in the 1940s. Most likely, he never said it. One source suggests the quote, whoever said it first, was about theologians (or philosophers). This makes more sense to me, and might explain why it is attributed to Darwin, whose work is often mischaracterized as antagonistic to theology.
Hmmm. What source are you referring to? Wikiquote also says it's a misattribution; they cite several possible sources for the quote or for one very similar.

The phrasing of the question--"often credited"--seems to acknowledge the possibility that this obscure quote, which has no logical connection to Darwin, might not even have been his own. Yeesh, again!

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 7:49 am

This $25K question might be the controversy of the season. If it's true that many sources (mis)attribute the quote about mathematicians to Darwin, but a convincing case can be made that he didn't actually say it and those who did were referring to something else, is that grounds from throwing out the question and inviting Lisa back?

Or is it a valid question to ask, "Many people believe what wrong thing?"