Transcript 5/7/2008 Christine Babette

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 5/7/2008 Christine Babette

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed May 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Christine Babette
Wilmington, DE

She teaches Yoga and Pilates.

$100
Which of these cultural events often features artists performing on tiptoe?

A: Jazz concert
B: Ballet
C: Poetry reading
D: Watergate break-in

$200
Ads for the headache relief product HeadOn advise users to apply it "directly to the" what?

A: Kneecap
B: Chin
C: Forehead
D: Elbow

$300
The striped pole outside what type of establishment is said to represent a drying rack once used for bandages?

A: Barbershop
B: Airport
C: Library
D: Police station

$500
On its Web site, JC Penney offers the online guide "Campus Solutions" for which of these groups?

A: Toddlers
B: College students
C: Engaged couples
D: Senior citizens

$1000
Equal to 746 watts, what unit of power is commonly used when measuring the output of automobile engines?

A: Horsepower
B: Dyne
C: Joule
D: Foot-pound

Commercial break

$2000
As the title of a 2007 film might remind you, outlaw Robert Ford is remembered as a "coward" for doing what to Jesse James?

A: Stealing his horse
B: Romancing his wife
C: Shooting him in the back
D: Robbing his home

$4000
According to the rules of the board game "Battleship", which of these vessels is not included in each player's five-ship fleet?

A: Destroyer
B: Carrier
C: Submarine
D: Frigate

Christine asks the audience.

ATA:

A: 6%
B: 4%
C: 20%
D: 70%

There's a little laughter with the "presentation" of the final answer. You have to see it
as it's hard to describe in words. Really no way around it, though.

$8000
Who is the youngest justice currently sitting on the U. S. Supreme Court?

A: Clarence Thomas
B: John Roberts
C: Ruth Bader Ginsburg
D: Samuel Alito

Commercial break

$16000
Which of these popular pet birds is not a type of parrot?

A: Cockatiel
B: Canary
C: Lovebird
D: Parakeet

Christine owns two parrots, Boz and Louie. One is an Amazon and the other is a Cockatoo, which doesn't really help her here.

50/50

The Horn!
Christine will return tomorrow.

Answer:
$100 B - Ballet
$200 C - Forehead
$300 A - Barbershop
$500 B - College students
$1000 A - Horsepower
$2000 C - Shooting him in the back
$4000 D - Frigate
$8000 B - John Roberts
$16000 B - Canary

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 5/7/2008 Christine Babette

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:01 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000
According to the rules of the board game "Battleship", which of these vessels is not included in each player's five-ship fleet?

There's a little laughter with the "presentation" of the final answer. You have to see it
as it's hard to describe in words. Really no way around it, though.
FRIGATE/FRIG IT!

Best unintentional humor in the history of SynBAM!

Oh, and nihil obstat®

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Thu May 08, 2008 5:30 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Christine Babette
Wilmington, DE

She teaches Yoga and Pilates.
It's a petty thing, I know, but Christine's dangling earrings were a distraction to me.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200
Ads for the headache relief product HeadOn advise users to apply it "directly to the" what?

I like a company that can poke fun at itself - the first commercials were annoying but the follow-ups (where someone complains about the repetitiveness of the commercial) were cute (but now they're overdone also).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000

Christine asks the audience.

ATA:
A: 6%
B: 4%
C: 20%
D: 70%

There's a little laughter with the "presentation" of the final answer. You have to see it as it's hard to describe in words. Really no way around it, though.
And I never really understood what it was they were laughing about. Yes, I know that "frigate" sounds slightly ribald, and perhaps it was in the way Christine (or Meredith) said it, but I didn't catch the humor.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000
Who is the youngest justice currently sitting on the U. S. Supreme Court?

A: Clarence Thomas
B: John Roberts
C: Ruth Bader Ginsburg
D: Samuel Alito
Time for the 50/50; if B and D are the remaining two, PAF.

I'd have ATA remaining to get to the $25K question and the next lifeline.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 6:54 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200

I like a company that can poke fun at itself - the first commercials were annoying but the follow-ups (where someone complains about the repetitiveness of the commercial) were cute (but now they're overdone also).
Anything to distract the public from the fact that it's homeopathic flim-flam.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 7:00 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$16000
Which of these popular pet birds is not a type of parrot?

C: Lovebird
D: Parakeet
I have friends who own parrots and cockatiels; I wouldn't consider them part of the same family.

And Wikipedia says they're not the same family--they're the same order! :wink:
Parrots are birds of the roughly 350 species in 85 genera comprising the order Psittaciformes, found in most warm and tropical regions. Also known as psittacines (pronounced /ˈsɪtəsaɪnz/),[1][2] they are usually grouped into two families: the Psittacidae (true parrots) and the Cacatuidae (cockatoos). Characteristic features of parrots include a strong curved bill, an upright stance, strong legs, and clawed zygodactyl feet. Most parrots are predominantly green, with other bright colors, and some species are multi-colored. Cockatoo species range from mostly white to mostly black, and have a mobile crest of feathers on the top of their heads. Most parrots are monomorphic or minimally sexually dimorphic.

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by etaoin22 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:53 pm

Yeh, that "frig it" got people. Mild ribaldry used to generate the most amazing prolonged laughter on TV and radio.

Kermit Schaefer of "Pardon My Blooper" fame, on his LP album of blooper reconstructions which was a party hit in the late 1950's, put the longest laugh track after quoting the unfortunate radio actor who got lead consonants wrong,while trying to recite the line

"I'd like two tickets to Pittsburgh"....

The last time I've seen or listened to that album was in 1978, and by the standards of that era, well, it was only 1/7 on the Carlin scale...

Ed Ames, who did NOT die today, it was Eddy Arnold, but my memory had confused the two, gives another example, which I had never seen, but is there for all on YouTube. Mr. Ames, who had learned the tomahawk throw while playing a Native Person American on TV, demonstrated that skill on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. He aimed the deadly weapon at a crude chalk-on-cardboard representation of an Old West sheriff, threw, and stuck it perfectly... in the sheriff's crotch. The laughter is said to have been the longest spontaneous laugh IIRC what they said the history of Tonight show.

I dunno if Meredith deadpanned the audience like Johnny would,but this laugh today was pretty long as well.