WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: RIP Jan-Michael Vincent
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 7393
Location: South Carolina
https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/08/airwolf- ... Trfbe3_R8c

It makes me sad that the stories about his career do not mention his first starring movie role, 1974's Buster and Billie. The screenplay was written by a local guy and the place names in the film are local landmarks. I bet even SSS could not find a copy of the film. I was really bad. We had a local premier.

_________________
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 7393
Location: South Carolina
from Wiki on JMV
"Vincent also starred in the 1974 romance Buster and Billie as the antihero Buster Lane, where he startled audiences with his full-frontal nudity." I had actually forgotten about that last part.

_________________
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 16326
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/08/airwolf-star-jan-michael-vincent-dead/?fbclid=IwAR3wg7t3hbcYZc9Fiej10UZVfUTUwbNgLD6jayxMyq2b2n5EMTrfbe3_R8c

It makes me sad that the stories about his career do not mention his first starring movie role, 1974's Buster and Billie. The screenplay was written by a local guy and the place names in the film are local landmarks. I bet even SSS could not find a copy of the film. I was really bad. We had a local premier.


It is available from some sources on DVD, including this one:

https://www.vermontmoviestore.com/products/busterbill

This is full frame and is undoubtedly a bootleg, probably a DVD-R, from a questionable source, either a VHS tape or a recording of a TV broadcast. Needless to say, the transfer quality on films like this is very hit and miss. The film has never been legally released on DVD, although there probably are VHS copies still floating around (I might have one; I'd have to go through my inventory to check).

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Posts: 10442
Location: In Texas of course!
I'm surprised his appearance in a Dragnet episode hasn't made a crappy promo.

When he does, I'm sure his name will be Vandal.

Image

_________________
In the end, they will all pretty much taste the same.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 16326
One Vincent movie I love that is available is Big Wednesday. He, Gary Busey, and William Katt are three guys who just want to spend all their time surfing, except that eventually the real world (Vietnam, pregnant girlfriends) intrudes. But they have one last amazing day at the beach with the perfect big waves. Interesting trivia is that Barbara Hale of Perry Mason fame, who was Katt's mother, played his mother in the movie. Well worth a watch for the surfing footage alone if you can find it.

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:33 pm
Posts: 2080
Location: Richmond VA
The two roles I always remember his from was Danger Island, a live action segment in The Banana Splits Adventure Hour, directed by Richard Donner -- it was originally supposed to be a live-action version of Jonny Quest, but didn't quite make it; and an ABC Movie of the Week, Tribes, where he played a hippie-type draftee (long flowing hair) that hits a Marine Corps boot camp.

_________________
#ignorehashtags


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:25 pm 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 9569
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Wow! He was just on Conan last month (2/06) and seemed fine.

RIP


EtF: Date

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Last edited by Estonut on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:56 pm 
Offline
Director of Promos
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Posts: 4006
Location: Literary Circles
BackInTex wrote:
I'm surprised his appearance in a Dragnet episode hasn't made a crappy promo.

When he does, I'm sure his name will be Vandal.

Image



I act look more like bow-tie dude.

_________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man


Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

With agent:
The Dragon's Song

Just finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Up Next:
Devin Drake and The Roller-Ghoster
Devin Drake and the Haunted Balcony


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:08 pm 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 9569
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Estonut wrote:
Wow! He was just on Conan last month (2/06) and seemed fine.

RIP
Brain fart. That was a different hyphenate, Jean-Claude Van Damme.

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:10 pm 
Offline
FNGD Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:24 pm
Posts: 6230
Location: State of Confusion
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
The two roles I always remember his from was Danger Island, a live action segment in The Banana Splits Adventure Hour



He was in that?? Wow.

I watched the Banana Splits faithfully as a kid, and remember really liking the Danger Island segment, but the only thing I can remember from it was that catch phrase..."Uh-Oh, Chongo!"

But I could still sing ya the Banana Splits theme song and not miss a single lyric.


Selective memory is a wonderous thing.

_________________
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:51 pm 
Offline
Director of Promos
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Posts: 4006
Location: Literary Circles
I remember seeing this one at the local movie theater:

Image

_________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man


Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

With agent:
The Dragon's Song

Just finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Up Next:
Devin Drake and The Roller-Ghoster
Devin Drake and the Haunted Balcony


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 pm 
Offline
No Scritches!!!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:36 pm
Posts: 20021
Location: God's Country
He was wonderful in The Mechanic. I was so disappointed when he vanished from television and movies. If we'd been playing Dead or Alive last week, I would have missed this one -- I thought he died about five years ago.

_________________
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 16326
SportsFan68 wrote:
He was wonderful in The Mechanic. I was so disappointed when he vanished from television and movies. If we'd been playing Dead or Alive last week, I would have missed this one -- I thought he died about five years ago.


Wait long enough and Dead or Alive becomes very easy to play.

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:44 pm
Posts: 1725
Location: Knoxville, TN
I found this part especially sad: Jan-Michael actually died back on February 10 after suffering cardiac arrest while a patient at a North Carolina hospital ... according to the death certificate.

Sounds like it was pretty hard times for the last few years.

I'm pretty sure that I've actually seen "Buster and Billie". Thinking it had to be an HBO / cable showing. It was quite while ago. IIRC, Buster was the popular high school guy who fell for Billie - a girl "with a reputation" as they said back then.

_________________
Jaybee


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:52 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 18137
Location: By the phone
I’d have been right about him in Dead or Alive for the wrong reason. In my head, I had him mixed up with Jon Voight. —Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:12 pm 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 9569
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Bob78164 wrote:
I’d have been right about him in Dead or Alive for the wrong reason. In my head, I had him mixed up with Jon Voight.
Jon Voight is still alive.

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:54 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 18137
Location: By the phone
Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
I’d have been right about him in Dead or Alive for the wrong reason. In my head, I had him mixed up with Jon Voight.
Jon Voight is still alive.
And until recently, so was Jan-Michael Vincent. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:50 am 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 9569
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
I’d have been right about him in Dead or Alive for the wrong reason. In my head, I had him mixed up with Jon Voight.
Jon Voight is still alive.
And until recently, so was Jan-Michael Vincent.
So what you meant to say was that, had you been playing Dead or Alive prior to February 10, you would have been right for the wrong reason. Why didn't you say so? :roll:

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:20 am 
Offline
Dumbass
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Posts: 29903
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
Bob78164 wrote:
I’d have been right about him in Dead or Alive for the wrong reason. In my head, I had him mixed up with Jon Voight. —Bob



When I saw his name, I conflated the names of Jan Hammer and Philip Michael Thomas and wondered why nobody was mentioning Miami Vice...

lb13

_________________
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Posts: 10442
Location: In Texas of course!
littlebeast13 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
I’d have been right about him in Dead or Alive for the wrong reason. In my head, I had him mixed up with Jon Voight. —Bob



When I saw his name, I conflated the names of Jan Hammer and Philip Michael Thomas and wondered why nobody was mentioning Miami Vice...

lb13


In this thread kept getting him confused with Jean-Claude Van Damme. Not even close.

_________________
In the end, they will all pretty much taste the same.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:56 am 
Offline
Merry Man
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:42 am
Posts: 38
We in the promos department would like to thank you all for the free publicity for Dead or Alive?


Let it be known that of all the other actors/performers mentioned in this thread, only one is dead.

_________________
Because you want to know.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:02 pm
Posts: 160
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/08/airwolf-star-jan-michael-vincent-dead/?fbclid=IwAR3wg7t3hbcYZc9Fiej10UZVfUTUwbNgLD6jayxMyq2b2n5EMTrfbe3_R8c

It makes me sad that the stories about his career do not mention his first starring movie role, 1974's Buster and Billie. The screenplay was written by a local guy and the place names in the film are local landmarks. I bet even SSS could not find a copy of the film. I was really bad. We had a local premier.


Really bad? No way, it was great! I can't count the number of times I've seen it (I may or not may have it on tape). It also had a pre-Nancy Drew Pamela Sue Martin (which I also have on tape in The Lady in Red, damn I love those 70s flicks!). To everybody else, Robert Englund is Freddy Krueger, to me he's Whitey the albino...

I also like Baby Blue Marine. I think that might have been one of Richard Gere's first movies.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.