Happy Daylight Saving Time

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Happy Daylight Saving Time

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:20 am

I now have a fighting chance of getting home from work before dark. Yay! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:36 am

Bob78164 wrote:I now have a fighting chance of getting home from work before dark. Yay! --Bob
One less hour of the Trump presidency. Yay!
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:18 am

Clock slaves of the world rejoice.

I'm not rejoicing because I'm not one of them....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:10 pm

I'm the other way -- I prefer to leave the house in the light. It's been such a short time that it's light when I leave for Toastmasters, and now I have to start over. I think DST should start the end of April. Oh well.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:23 am

Countries in the EU are going to give up DST in October 2019. Currently member states are required to change their clocks, forward on the last Sunday of March, and back on the last Sunday in October. Apparently in October this year the clocks will not be changed. Member states may decide to remain with "summer" time and not change their clocks, or change them and stick with "winter" time. The decision will have to be made before April 2020, and must be ratified by the European Parliament and the 28 member states.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:20 pm

I do not want year round DST. The year that we tried it to "save energy," I was terrified for the children in my neighborhood walking down to the school bus stop. I no longer live there, but I remember well those narrow, winding streets. Plus the fact as I mentioned above that I like the light when I leave the house in the morning.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#7 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:58 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:I do not want year round DST. The year that we tried it to "save energy," I was terrified for the children in my neighborhood walking down to the school bus stop. I no longer live there, but I remember well those narrow, winding streets. Plus the fact as I mentioned above that I like the light when I leave the house in the morning.

There is no rule that says kids have to go to school at the same times all year round. Or that work schedules have to be the same all year round. Or that anything has to be dictated by the clock rather than the sun as Dog intended. Warren G. Harding made government offices in Washington push their schedules back an hour early rather than continue Woody Wilson's golf driven desire to continue DST after WWI ended. Forget Teapot Dome, there's an American hero right there....

It's time to get rid of the ridiculous concept of DST altogether. The energy it "saves" is largely bogus and it causes a great deal of stress to people twice a year...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:05 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:I do not want year round DST. The year that we tried it to "save energy," I was terrified for the children in my neighborhood walking down to the school bus stop. I no longer live there, but I remember well those narrow, winding streets. Plus the fact as I mentioned above that I like the light when I leave the house in the morning.

There is no rule that says kids have to go to school at the same times all year round. Or that work schedules have to be the same all year round. Or that anything has to be dictated by the clock rather than the sun as Dog intended. Warren G. Harding made government offices in Washington push their schedules back an hour early rather than continue Woody Wilson's golf driven desire to continue DST after WWI ended. Forget Teapot Dome, there's an American hero right there....

It's time to get rid of the ridiculous concept of DST altogether. The energy it "saves" is largely bogus and it causes a great deal of stress to people twice a year...

lb13
As a confirmed night owl, I love Daylight Saving Time. I understand and am willing to concede the necessity of abandoning it during the winter for exactly the reasons Sprots has mentioned -- I remember going to catch the school bus in the dark for a short time during elementary school, and it was not a good idea. But as someone whose profession requires me to cater to the schedules imposed by others, I am much happier with sunset an hour later measured by the clock. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

triviawayne

#9 Post by triviawayne » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:11 am

all I want on this subject is to wake up with at least a little sun showing as much as possible. Waking up in the dark is far worse than having a little less daylight when I get home from work.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:12 am

Bob78164 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
As a confirmed night owl, I love Daylight Saving Time. I understand and am willing to concede the necessity of abandoning it during the winter for exactly the reasons Sprots has mentioned -- I remember going to catch the school bus in the dark for a short time during elementary school, and it was not a good idea. But as someone whose profession requires me to cater to the schedules imposed by others, I am much happier with sunset an hour later measured by the clock. --Bob
An article in Slate makes the case that the problem with DST isn't the time itself, it's the starting time for schools.
https://slate.com/technology/2019/03/in ... -time.html
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention declared that most schools start too early, contributing to poor health in adolescents. Earlier school start times are linked to depression and anxiety in teenagers, as well as chronic sleep deprivation. Early start times also disadvantage young students, lowering their academic performance...If more schools took the American Academy of Pediatrics advice and refused to start class before 8:30 a.m., DST would pose no impediment to school children.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:40 am

Bob78164 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

A confirmed night owl would not like DST. Night owl supported businesses tend to do worse during DST time because of the "later" sunset. One of the theories thrown around as to the death of the drive-in theater is that DST taking an hour of darkness from the evening made movie time too late for them to do a good business (The timing of nationwide DST is too good to be a coincidence). My industry loves it though because the "later" sunset times encourage people to shop later than they normally would...

You are the prototypical "clock slave" that keeps DST from disappearing entirely, though. Maybe a few years (or decades in my case) of working the night shift would make you realize how stupid it is to move an hour from March into November and create all kinds of logistical timekeeping paradoxes...

lb13

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:25 am

LB wrote:
My industry loves it though because the "later" sunset times encourage people to shop later than they normally would...
Yep, the Big Box stores love it and support it. SteelersFan can start an outdoor project after work and have plenty of time to finish it and make a trip to Home Depot too if he needs something.

One of our Alaska cabin co-owners was working on something and needed to make a trip to Home Depot. He was ready to go until he looked at this watch. It was 10 p.m., too late for Home Depot. Still had plenty of light, though.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:29 am

SportsFan68 wrote:LB wrote:
My industry loves it though because the "later" sunset times encourage people to shop later than they normally would...
Yep, the Big Box stores love it and support it. SteelersFan can start an outdoor project after work and have plenty of time to finish it and make a trip to Home Depot too if he needs something.

One of our Alaska cabin co-owners was working on something and needed to make a trip to Home Depot. He was ready to go until he looked at this watch. It was 10 p.m., too late for Home Depot. Still had plenty of light, though.
Getting up to Alaska is one of the items on my bucket list. --Bob

themanintheseersuckersuit

#14 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:57 am

After we get rid of DST, pennies should be next.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.