WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4592
Location: Merion, Pa.
I've seen a bunch of articles about this today. Every paper is reporting on their local big shots or colleges that were involved. Sometimes the college had no idea, but lots of them had an insider (like a coach) who was in on the scam.

Actors, Coaches, CEOs Among 50 People Charged In College Admissions, Recruiting Bribery Scheme


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:14 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 10074
Location: Location.Location.Location
I read most of this and some other stuff...it made me laugh sorta. The Aunt Becky stuff and lacrosse and volleyball?
Sorry. I know. It's wrong regardless of reason but...
Bwahaaaaaa

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:17 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 18137
Location: By the phone
jarnon wrote:
I've seen a bunch of articles about this today. Every paper is reporting on their local big shots or colleges that were involved. Sometimes the college had no idea, but lots of them had an insider (like a coach) who was in on the scam.

Actors, Coaches, CEOs Among 50 People Charged In College Admissions, Recruiting Bribery Scheme
Hmmm. UCLA was involved. That's the one UC campus that Sparky applied to that didn't accept him. He even got into Berkeley.

I doubt it would have mattered -- he fell in love with the University of Rochester when he visited and I don't think getting into UCLA would have changed his mind. But now there will always be a sliver of doubt in my mind. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:36 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 10074
Location: Location.Location.Location
Bob78164 wrote:
jarnon wrote:
I've seen a bunch of articles about this today. Every paper is reporting on their local big shots or colleges that were involved. Sometimes the college had no idea, but lots of them had an insider (like a coach) who was in on the scam.

Actors, Coaches, CEOs Among 50 People Charged In College Admissions, Recruiting Bribery Scheme
Hmmm. UCLA was involved. That's the one UC campus that Sparky applied to that didn't accept him. He even got into Berkeley.

I doubt it would have mattered -- he fell in love with the University of Rochester when he visited and I don't think getting into UCLA would have changed his mind. But now there will always be a sliver of doubt in my mind. --Bob


Has the weather in Rochester bothered him at all?

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:39 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 18137
Location: By the phone
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
jarnon wrote:
I've seen a bunch of articles about this today. Every paper is reporting on their local big shots or colleges that were involved. Sometimes the college had no idea, but lots of them had an insider (like a coach) who was in on the scam.

Actors, Coaches, CEOs Among 50 People Charged In College Admissions, Recruiting Bribery Scheme
Hmmm. UCLA was involved. That's the one UC campus that Sparky applied to that didn't accept him. He even got into Berkeley.

I doubt it would have mattered -- he fell in love with the University of Rochester when he visited and I don't think getting into UCLA would have changed his mind. But now there will always be a sliver of doubt in my mind. --Bob


Has the weather in Rochester bothered him at all?
Not that he's mentioned. He seems to enjoy it. I'll be seeing him tonight so I'll try to get the latest scoop. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:09 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 10074
Location: Location.Location.Location
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Hmmm. UCLA was involved. That's the one UC campus that Sparky applied to that didn't accept him. He even got into Berkeley.

I doubt it would have mattered -- he fell in love with the University of Rochester when he visited and I don't think getting into UCLA would have changed his mind. But now there will always be a sliver of doubt in my mind. --Bob


Has the weather in Rochester bothered him at all?
Not that he's mentioned. He seems to enjoy it. I'll be seeing him tonight so I'll try to get the latest scoop. --Bob


Having grown up in Wis, lived in Seattle 7 yrs, then Chicago and 3 yrs in Rochester (Kodak), it was like a Seattle midwest mashup with gray and lake effect snow. Spring lilacs were lovely.

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:43 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 10074
Location: Location.Location.Location
I gotta laugh, too, that U of Texas? Really? Both my guys were accepted, and granted they were good students and residents, but...really?
Oh, they went to OU. Boomer!

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 pm
Posts: 5217
Location: Charlotte, NC
Yes, certain schools have a name brand that means a little more, but the cost vs the value is not worth it. I continue to recommend that most people should attend a state school they can afford, at least for a BA. A BS in some fields does mean a little more to certain employers, but a BA is a BA, and it almost doesn't matter what your major is. Whoever hires you is going to teach you what they want you to do for them. A BA means that you are teachable and that you finish things.

There are also a gob of kids who should not be in college at all. They should spend 3-6 months learning to be electricians and plumbers and HVAC techs. The US has gobs of trade jobs it can't fill because we have sold this college route as a necessary next step. Fine, 30 years ago, when it was affordable, but not now.

_________________
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:24 am 
Offline
Director of Promos
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Posts: 4006
Location: Literary Circles
Image

_________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man


Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

With agent:
The Dragon's Song

Just finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Up Next:
Devin Drake and The Roller-Ghoster
Devin Drake and the Haunted Balcony


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:33 am 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 10074
Location: Location.Location.Location
Ritterskoop wrote:
Yes, certain schools have a name brand that means a little more, but the cost vs the value is not worth it. I continue to recommend that most people should attend a state school they can afford, at least for a BA. A BS in some fields does mean a little more to certain employers, but a BA is a BA, and it almost doesn't matter what your major is. Whoever hires you is going to teach you what they want you to do for them. A BA means that you are teachable and that you finish things.

There are also a gob of kids who should not be in college at all. They should spend 3-6 months learning to be electricians and plumbers and HVAC techs. The US has gobs of trade jobs it can't fill because we have sold this college route as a necessary next step. Fine, 30 years ago, when it was affordable, but not now.


So correct on all counts.

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 2732
Beebs52 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
Yes, certain schools have a name brand that means a little more, but the cost vs the value is not worth it. I continue to recommend that most people should attend a state school they can afford, at least for a BA. A BS in some fields does mean a little more to certain employers, but a BA is a BA, and it almost doesn't matter what your major is. Whoever hires you is going to teach you what they want you to do for them. A BA means that you are teachable and that you finish things.

There are also a gob of kids who should not be in college at all. They should spend 3-6 months learning to be electricians and plumbers and HVAC techs. The US has gobs of trade jobs it can't fill because we have sold this college route as a necessary next step. Fine, 30 years ago, when it was affordable, but not now.


So correct on all counts.


Rec.

Plus, I think job security is pretty good long term on a lot of the trade jobs. Pretty hard to offshore, roboticize and AI those.

Plumber and a carpenter are here today remodeling our (only) bathroom in this old farmhouse. Be a very long time until AI can take over that hot mess.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:56 pm 
Offline
11:11
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:54 am
Posts: 11524
Location: CT
Ritterskoop wrote:
Yes, certain schools have a name brand that means a little more, but the cost vs the value is not worth it. I continue to recommend that most people should attend a state school they can afford, at least for a BA. A BS in some fields does mean a little more to certain employers, but a BA is a BA, and it almost doesn't matter what your major is. Whoever hires you is going to teach you what they want you to do for them. A BA means that you are teachable and that you finish things.

There are also a gob of kids who should not be in college at all. They should spend 3-6 months learning to be electricians and plumbers and HVAC techs. The US has gobs of trade jobs it can't fill because we have sold this college route as a necessary next step. Fine, 30 years ago, when it was affordable, but not now.


Very true about the BS part. On my floor alone we have 6 Penn Staters (of about 20 people). Lots of Blue and White up here. A Chemistry of ChemE degree from PSU does help open some doors.

_________________
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 2732
christie1111 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
Yes, certain schools have a name brand that means a little more, but the cost vs the value is not worth it. I continue to recommend that most people should attend a state school they can afford, at least for a BA. A BS in some fields does mean a little more to certain employers, but a BA is a BA, and it almost doesn't matter what your major is. Whoever hires you is going to teach you what they want you to do for them. A BA means that you are teachable and that you finish things.

There are also a gob of kids who should not be in college at all. They should spend 3-6 months learning to be electricians and plumbers and HVAC techs. The US has gobs of trade jobs it can't fill because we have sold this college route as a necessary next step. Fine, 30 years ago, when it was affordable, but not now.


Very true about the BS part. On my floor alone we have 6 Penn Staters (of about 20 people). Lots of Blue and White up here. A Chemistry of ChemE degree from PSU does help open some doors.


Christie, I don't know if you had caught the Spocklette's college decision saga at all. I thought she was pretty set on Chemical Engineering at University of North Dakota (UND). We met with a very energetic ChemE prof last summer and she did a ChemE summer camp at South Dakota School of Mines.

Last fall, she job shadowed ChemE's at American Chrystal Sugar.

However, in the last 2 years of high school, our high school ag program, got a very energetic teacher and she has been drawn more in that direction.

Looks like Ag and Bio-systems Engineering at NDSU is going to win out. The bio-systems part approaches Chem E in some respects. I wish NDSU had ChemE.

One of her theories is that NDSU has more other things that she likes if she doesn't like engineering. However, she felt very at home in Ag and Bio-systems Engineering Department when we visited.

Personally, I wish she had gone ChemE at UND, but we can't make those choices for them and I get the back-up thing.

So, I will have 2 Bison.

One thing I tell her, is that if you meet someone from the middle of North Dakota, don't worry about finding a job there with your engineering degree. I know of several instances, where (both men and women) have dialed the Stem degree into a science teaching degree to fit a life in more remote areas.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:13 am 
Offline
11:11
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:54 am
Posts: 11524
Location: CT
Spock wrote:
christie1111 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
Yes, certain schools have a name brand that means a little more, but the cost vs the value is not worth it. I continue to recommend that most people should attend a state school they can afford, at least for a BA. A BS in some fields does mean a little more to certain employers, but a BA is a BA, and it almost doesn't matter what your major is. Whoever hires you is going to teach you what they want you to do for them. A BA means that you are teachable and that you finish things.

There are also a gob of kids who should not be in college at all. They should spend 3-6 months learning to be electricians and plumbers and HVAC techs. The US has gobs of trade jobs it can't fill because we have sold this college route as a necessary next step. Fine, 30 years ago, when it was affordable, but not now.


Very true about the BS part. On my floor alone we have 6 Penn Staters (of about 20 people). Lots of Blue and White up here. A Chemistry of ChemE degree from PSU does help open some doors.


Christie, I don't know if you had caught the Spocklette's college decision saga at all. I thought she was pretty set on Chemical Engineering at University of North Dakota (UND). We met with a very energetic ChemE prof last summer and she did a ChemE summer camp at South Dakota School of Mines.

Last fall, she job shadowed ChemE's at American Chrystal Sugar.

However, in the last 2 years of high school, our high school ag program, got a very energetic teacher and she has been drawn more in that direction.

Looks like Ag and Bio-systems Engineering at NDSU is going to win out. The bio-systems part approaches Chem E in some respects. I wish NDSU had ChemE.

One of her theories is that NDSU has more other things that she likes if she doesn't like engineering. However, she felt very at home in Ag and Bio-systems Engineering Department when we visited.

Personally, I wish she had gone ChemE at UND, but we can't make those choices for them and I get the back-up thing.

So, I will have 2 Bison.

One thing I tell her, is that if you meet someone from the middle of North Dakota, don't worry about finding a job there with your engineering degree. I know of several instances, where (both men and women) have dialed the Stem degree into a science teaching degree to fit a life in more remote areas.


No, I did not see this info as I am a bit sporadic on the message Bored.

I spent 2 pretty long weeks at NDSU for a coatings class. REALLY extensive coatings class! Want to know how old school film is coated? Yup. Want to know the best way of stripping your floor?. Yup. They eventually got to paint which is what I was there for. They do have a really nice pool! And a nice Bison statue. Also first time I saw human bowling. Put a person in a big ball after they have had a few drinks at the bar and roll them to the pins. Also the mall has an homage to Roger Maris. It was a long 2 weeks!

I was lucky. I knew what I wanted to go to school for in the 9th grade. We grew alum crystals out of what looked like clear water. It was magic (i.e. Chemistry)! Hooked!

It is good that she has a clear path in her mind. And it seems like she knows that things can change along the way. I started doing Aerospace stuff then powder coatings and now formulate Dove Body Wash. Who knew?

Things change. My kids have changed their interest over time and are now working with special needs adults. They are both fully employed with insurance so I am happy with that!

Wherever she ends up, as long as she is happy, it is all good!

_________________
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 2732
If anyone has enjoyed Iowahawk's (David Burge) brand of humour over the years (and even if you haven't) he had a ball with this story.

With all the inherent problems with following things backward on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog

Sample
>>>"I think the best punishment for these colleges is to make them change their names for 4 years.

USC : Inglewood Community College
Harvard : East Boston Vo-Tech
Yale : FSU-New Haven<<<<


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:16 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 10074
Location: Location.Location.Location
Spock wrote:
If anyone has enjoyed Iowahawk's (David Burge) brand of humour over the years (and even if you haven't) he had a ball with this story.

With all the inherent problems with following things backward on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog

Sample
>>>"I think the best punishment for these colleges is to make them change their names for 4 years.

USC : Inglewood Community College
Harvard : East Boston Vo-Tech
Yale : FSU-New Haven<<<<

Heeeeheeee.

And, maybe tuition prices will scale down to show solidarity with their poorer brethren. At least til the next #movement. Not like this crap hasn't happened for a hundred plus years. Duh.

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:59 am 
Offline
Director of Promos
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Posts: 4006
Location: Literary Circles
Hallmark Channel tweeted:

Quote:
We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations. We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions featuring Lori on the Crown Media Family Network channels -- including #GarageSaleMysteries.

_________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man


Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

With agent:
The Dragon's Song

Just finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Up Next:
Devin Drake and The Roller-Ghoster
Devin Drake and the Haunted Balcony


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 16326
Vandal wrote:
Hallmark Channel tweeted:

Quote:
We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations. We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions featuring Lori on the Crown Media Family Network channels -- including #GarageSaleMysteries.


Does that mean they'll have a garage sale of Garage Sale Mysteries?

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4592
Location: Merion, Pa.
Vandal wrote:
Hallmark Channel tweeted:

Quote:
We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations. We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions featuring Lori on the Crown Media Family Network channels -- including #GarageSaleMysteries.
A blow to Garage Sale Mysteries author Suzi Weinert. When the Devin Drake novels become a series of TV movies, let's hope the star keeps away from scandal.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 2732
Beebs52 wrote:
Spock wrote:
If anyone has enjoyed Iowahawk's (David Burge) brand of humour over the years (and even if you haven't) he had a ball with this story.

With all the inherent problems with following things backward on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog

Sample
>>>"I think the best punishment for these colleges is to make them change their names for 4 years.

USC : Inglewood Community College
Harvard : East Boston Vo-Tech
Yale : FSU-New Haven<<<<

Heeeeheeee.

And, maybe tuition prices will scale down to show solidarity with their poorer brethren. At least til the next #movement. Not like this crap hasn't happened for a hundred plus years. Duh.


One required name change floating for University of Texas there was "Baylor A&M."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:34 am 
Offline
Director of Promos
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Posts: 4006
Location: Literary Circles
jarnon wrote:
Vandal wrote:
Hallmark Channel tweeted:

Quote:
We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations. We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions featuring Lori on the Crown Media Family Network channels -- including #GarageSaleMysteries.
A blow to Garage Sale Mysteries author Suzi Weinert. When the Devin Drake novels become a series of TV movies, let's hope the star keeps away from scandal.


I would hope a 13-year-old could stay scandal-free, but it's not a sure thing!

_________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man


Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

With agent:
The Dragon's Song

Just finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Up Next:
Devin Drake and The Roller-Ghoster
Devin Drake and the Haunted Balcony


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 12767
Location: mired in the bureaucracy
Spock wrote:
If anyone has enjoyed Iowahawk's (David Burge) brand of humour over the years (and even if you haven't) he had a ball with this story.

With all the inherent problems with following things backward on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog

Sample
>>>"I think the best punishment for these colleges is to make them change their names for 4 years.

USC : Inglewood Community College
Harvard : East Boston Vo-Tech
Yale : FSU-New Haven<<<<

On "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" someone said the punishment should be the students actually had to compete in the sports they allegedly played.

_________________
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 2732
Vandal wrote:
jarnon wrote:
Vandal wrote:
Hallmark Channel tweeted:

A blow to Garage Sale Mysteries author Suzi Weinert. When the Devin Drake novels become a series of TV movies, let's hope the star keeps away from scandal.


I would hope a 13-year-old could stay scandal-free, but it's not a sure thing!


The future for Lori Loughlin is obvious. Stolen from the Iowahawk Twitter thingie.

>>>"Now she's going to move back to her small hometown, re-discover its simple charms and, if the fates align, rekindle an old love she never saw coming<<<<


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 2732
Just read this in the Economist's version of the story.

>>>"Mr. Caplan, the international lawyer, allegedly faked a learning disability diagnosis for his daughter."<<<

Ponder that for a second. Having a learning disability helps you get into our elite colleges.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4592
Location: Merion, Pa.
Spock wrote:
Just read this in the Economist's version of the story.

>>>"Mr. Caplan, the international lawyer, allegedly faked a learning disability diagnosis for his daughter."<<<

Ponder that for a second. Having a learning disability helps you get into our elite colleges.
No, the accommodations given to learning disabled students would give a non-disabled student an unfair advantage. An actual learning disability is still disadvantageous. (Ritalin for ADHD is a common example.)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: silvercamaro and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.