Huge college admission cheating scandal

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

Huge college admission cheating scandal

#1 Post by jarnon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:03 pm

I've seen a bunch of articles about this today. Every paper is reporting on their local big shots or colleges that were involved. Sometimes the college had no idea, but lots of them had an insider (like a coach) who was in on the scam.

Actors, Coaches, CEOs Among 50 People Charged In College Admissions, Recruiting Bribery Scheme
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: Huge college admission cheating scandal

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:14 pm

I read most of this and some other stuff...it made me laugh sorta. The Aunt Becky stuff and lacrosse and volleyball?
Sorry. I know. It's wrong regardless of reason but...
Bwahaaaaaa
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:17 pm

jarnon wrote:I've seen a bunch of articles about this today. Every paper is reporting on their local big shots or colleges that were involved. Sometimes the college had no idea, but lots of them had an insider (like a coach) who was in on the scam.

Actors, Coaches, CEOs Among 50 People Charged In College Admissions, Recruiting Bribery Scheme
Hmmm. UCLA was involved. That's the one UC campus that Sparky applied to that didn't accept him. He even got into Berkeley.

I doubt it would have mattered -- he fell in love with the University of Rochester when he visited and I don't think getting into UCLA would have changed his mind. But now there will always be a sliver of doubt in my mind. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
jarnon wrote:I've seen a bunch of articles about this today. Every paper is reporting on their local big shots or colleges that were involved. Sometimes the college had no idea, but lots of them had an insider (like a coach) who was in on the scam.

Hmmm. UCLA was involved. That's the one UC campus that Sparky applied to that didn't accept him. He even got into Berkeley.

I doubt it would have mattered -- he fell in love with the University of Rochester when he visited and I don't think getting into UCLA would have changed his mind. But now there will always be a sliver of doubt in my mind. --Bob
Has the weather in Rochester bothered him at all?
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:39 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Not that he's mentioned. He seems to enjoy it. I'll be seeing him tonight so I'll try to get the latest scoop. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Hmmm. UCLA was involved. That's the one UC campus that Sparky applied to that didn't accept him. He even got into Berkeley.

Not that he's mentioned. He seems to enjoy it. I'll be seeing him tonight so I'll try to get the latest scoop. --Bob
Having grown up in Wis, lived in Seattle 7 yrs, then Chicago and 3 yrs in Rochester (Kodak), it was like a Seattle midwest mashup with gray and lake effect snow. Spring lilacs were lovely.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:43 pm

I gotta laugh, too, that U of Texas? Really? Both my guys were accepted, and granted they were good students and residents, but...really?
Oh, they went to OU. Boomer!
Well, then

Ritterskoop

#8 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:48 am

Yes, certain schools have a name brand that means a little more, but the cost vs the value is not worth it. I continue to recommend that most people should attend a state school they can afford, at least for a BA. A BS in some fields does mean a little more to certain employers, but a BA is a BA, and it almost doesn't matter what your major is. Whoever hires you is going to teach you what they want you to do for them. A BA means that you are teachable and that you finish things.

There are also a gob of kids who should not be in college at all. They should spend 3-6 months learning to be electricians and plumbers and HVAC techs. The US has gobs of trade jobs it can't fill because we have sold this college route as a necessary next step. Fine, 30 years ago, when it was affordable, but not now.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#9 Post by Vandal » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:24 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:33 am

Ritterskoop wrote:Yes, certain schools have a name brand that means a little more, but the cost vs the value is not worth it. I continue to recommend that most people should attend a state school they can afford, at least for a BA. A BS in some fields does mean a little more to certain employers, but a BA is a BA, and it almost doesn't matter what your major is. Whoever hires you is going to teach you what they want you to do for them. A BA means that you are teachable and that you finish things.

There are also a gob of kids who should not be in college at all. They should spend 3-6 months learning to be electricians and plumbers and HVAC techs. The US has gobs of trade jobs it can't fill because we have sold this college route as a necessary next step. Fine, 30 years ago, when it was affordable, but not now.
So correct on all counts.
Well, then

Spock

#11 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:58 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:Yes, certain schools have a name brand that means a little more, but the cost vs the value is not worth it. I continue to recommend that most people should attend a state school they can afford, at least for a BA. A BS in some fields does mean a little more to certain employers, but a BA is a BA, and it almost doesn't matter what your major is. Whoever hires you is going to teach you what they want you to do for them. A BA means that you are teachable and that you finish things.

So correct on all counts.
Rec.

Plus, I think job security is pretty good long term on a lot of the trade jobs. Pretty hard to offshore, roboticize and AI those.

Plumber and a carpenter are here today remodeling our (only) bathroom in this old farmhouse. Be a very long time until AI can take over that hot mess.

christie1111
11:11

#12 Post by christie1111 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Very true about the BS part. On my floor alone we have 6 Penn Staters (of about 20 people). Lots of Blue and White up here. A Chemistry of ChemE degree from PSU does help open some doors.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Spock

#13 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:16 pm

christie1111 wrote:

Very true about the BS part. On my floor alone we have 6 Penn Staters (of about 20 people). Lots of Blue and White up here. A Chemistry of ChemE degree from PSU does help open some doors.
Christie, I don't know if you had caught the Spocklette's college decision saga at all. I thought she was pretty set on Chemical Engineering at University of North Dakota (UND). We met with a very energetic ChemE prof last summer and she did a ChemE summer camp at South Dakota School of Mines.

Last fall, she job shadowed ChemE's at American Chrystal Sugar.

However, in the last 2 years of high school, our high school ag program, got a very energetic teacher and she has been drawn more in that direction.

Looks like Ag and Bio-systems Engineering at NDSU is going to win out. The bio-systems part approaches Chem E in some respects. I wish NDSU had ChemE.

One of her theories is that NDSU has more other things that she likes if she doesn't like engineering. However, she felt very at home in Ag and Bio-systems Engineering Department when we visited.

Personally, I wish she had gone ChemE at UND, but we can't make those choices for them and I get the back-up thing.

So, I will have 2 Bison.

One thing I tell her, is that if you meet someone from the middle of North Dakota, don't worry about finding a job there with your engineering degree. I know of several instances, where (both men and women) have dialed the Stem degree into a science teaching degree to fit a life in more remote areas.

christie1111
11:11

#14 Post by christie1111 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:13 am

Spock wrote:
christie1111 wrote:

Christie, I don't know if you had caught the Spocklette's college decision saga at all. I thought she was pretty set on Chemical Engineering at University of North Dakota (UND). We met with a very energetic ChemE prof last summer and she did a ChemE summer camp at South Dakota School of Mines.

Last fall, she job shadowed ChemE's at American Chrystal Sugar.

However, in the last 2 years of high school, our high school ag program, got a very energetic teacher and she has been drawn more in that direction.

Looks like Ag and Bio-systems Engineering at NDSU is going to win out. The bio-systems part approaches Chem E in some respects. I wish NDSU had ChemE.

One of her theories is that NDSU has more other things that she likes if she doesn't like engineering. However, she felt very at home in Ag and Bio-systems Engineering Department when we visited.

Personally, I wish she had gone ChemE at UND, but we can't make those choices for them and I get the back-up thing.

So, I will have 2 Bison.

One thing I tell her, is that if you meet someone from the middle of North Dakota, don't worry about finding a job there with your engineering degree. I know of several instances, where (both men and women) have dialed the Stem degree into a science teaching degree to fit a life in more remote areas.
No, I did not see this info as I am a bit sporadic on the message Bored.

I spent 2 pretty long weeks at NDSU for a coatings class. REALLY extensive coatings class! Want to know how old school film is coated? Yup. Want to know the best way of stripping your floor?. Yup. They eventually got to paint which is what I was there for. They do have a really nice pool! And a nice Bison statue. Also first time I saw human bowling. Put a person in a big ball after they have had a few drinks at the bar and roll them to the pins. Also the mall has an homage to Roger Maris. It was a long 2 weeks!

I was lucky. I knew what I wanted to go to school for in the 9th grade. We grew alum crystals out of what looked like clear water. It was magic (i.e. Chemistry)! Hooked!

It is good that she has a clear path in her mind. And it seems like she knows that things can change along the way. I started doing Aerospace stuff then powder coatings and now formulate Dove Body Wash. Who knew?

Things change. My kids have changed their interest over time and are now working with special needs adults. They are both fully employed with insurance so I am happy with that!

Wherever she ends up, as long as she is happy, it is all good!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Spock

#15 Post by Spock » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:00 pm

If anyone has enjoyed Iowahawk's (David Burge) brand of humour over the years (and even if you haven't) he had a ball with this story.

With all the inherent problems with following things backward on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog

Sample
>>>"I think the best punishment for these colleges is to make them change their names for 4 years.

USC : Inglewood Community College
Harvard : East Boston Vo-Tech
Yale : FSU-New Haven<<<<

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:16 pm

Spock wrote:If anyone has enjoyed Iowahawk's (David Burge) brand of humour over the years (and even if you haven't) he had a ball with this story.

Sample
>>>"I think the best punishment for these colleges is to make them change their names for 4 years.

Heeeeheeee.

And, maybe tuition prices will scale down to show solidarity with their poorer brethren. At least til the next #movement. Not like this crap hasn't happened for a hundred plus years. Duh.
Well, then

Vandal
Director of Promos

#17 Post by Vandal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:59 am

Hallmark Channel tweeted:
We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations. We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions featuring Lori on the Crown Media Family Network channels -- including #GarageSaleMysteries.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:03 am

Vandal wrote:Hallmark Channel tweeted:
We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations. We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions featuring Lori on the Crown Media Family Network channels -- including #GarageSaleMysteries.
Does that mean they'll have a garage sale of Garage Sale Mysteries?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jarnon

#19 Post by jarnon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:06 am

A blow to Garage Sale Mysteries author Suzi Weinert. When the Devin Drake novels become a series of TV movies, let's hope the star keeps away from scandal.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Spock

#20 Post by Spock » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:19 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Spock wrote:If anyone has enjoyed Iowahawk's (David Burge) brand of humour over the years (and even if you haven't) he had a ball with this story.

Sample

Heeeeheeee.

And, maybe tuition prices will scale down to show solidarity with their poorer brethren. At least til the next #movement. Not like this crap hasn't happened for a hundred plus years. Duh.
One required name change floating for University of Texas there was "Baylor A&M."

Vandal
Director of Promos

#21 Post by Vandal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:34 am

jarnon wrote:
A blow to Garage Sale Mysteries author Suzi Weinert. When the Devin Drake novels become a series of TV movies, let's hope the star keeps away from scandal.
I would hope a 13-year-old could stay scandal-free, but it's not a sure thing!
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

earendel

#22 Post by earendel » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:08 pm

Sample

On "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" someone said the punishment should be the students actually had to compete in the sports they allegedly played.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Spock

#23 Post by Spock » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Vandal wrote:
jarnon wrote:
I would hope a 13-year-old could stay scandal-free, but it's not a sure thing!
The future for Lori Loughlin is obvious. Stolen from the Iowahawk Twitter thingie.

>>>"Now she's going to move back to her small hometown, re-discover its simple charms and, if the fates align, rekindle an old love she never saw coming<<<<

Spock

#24 Post by Spock » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:54 pm

Just read this in the Economist's version of the story.

>>>"Mr. Caplan, the international lawyer, allegedly faked a learning disability diagnosis for his daughter."<<<

Ponder that for a second. Having a learning disability helps you get into our elite colleges.

jarnon

#25 Post by jarnon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:00 pm

Spock wrote:Just read this in the Economist's version of the story.

>>>"Mr. Caplan, the international lawyer, allegedly faked a learning disability diagnosis for his daughter."<<<

Ponder that for a second. Having a learning disability helps you get into our elite colleges.
No, the accommodations given to learning disabled students would give a non-disabled student an unfair advantage. An actual learning disability is still disadvantageous. (Ritalin for ADHD is a common example.)
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי