On lockdown

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

On lockdown

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:51 pm

There are reports of an active shooter in the mall across the street from my office. We've been asked not to leave the building (including driving out of the parking garage) until further notice.

I'm not particularly worried about my personal safety -- the doors to the building lobby have been locked, it takes a key card to get the elevator up to our floor, and it takes either a key card or the receptionist to get you out of our elevator lobby into the office proper. But it's still annoying. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: On lockdown

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:57 pm

Bob78164 wrote:There are reports of an active shooter in the mall across the street from my office. We've been asked not to leave the building (including driving out of the parking garage) until further notice.

I'm not particularly worried about my personal safety -- the doors to the building lobby have been locked, it takes a key card to get the elevator up to our floor, and it takes either a key card or the receptionist to get you out of our elevator lobby into the office proper. But it's still annoying. --Bob
Those pesky receptionists are expendable.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:00 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:There are reports of an active shooter in the mall across the street from my office. We've been asked not to leave the building (including driving out of the parking garage) until further notice.

Those pesky receptionists are expendable.
There's a camera system. They can see what's going on before making the decision to open the door. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:46 am

What was the final story? You said "a report of an active shooter". Was there an actual shooter? If so, how many people were shot? Was it random or targeted?

You expressed "outrage" about this incident
All I found is this:
UPDATE: At around 10 p.m. on Friday night, the LAPD announced via Twitter that “there was no evidence of a shooting [and] Bomb Squad determined the suspicious device was not an explosive.”
Seems like most of the media, you don't like retracting a false story if it does not support your narratives. This article was posted well before you further complained about your your building "all afternoon" giving you plenty of opportunity to complete the story here. But you didn't feel the need to. Why?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:27 pm

BackInTex wrote:What was the final story? You said "a report of an active shooter". Was there an actual shooter? If so, how many people were shot? Was it random or targeted?

All I found is this:
UPDATE: At around 10 p.m. on Friday night, the LAPD announced via Twitter that “there was no evidence of a shooting [and] Bomb Squad determined the suspicious device was not an explosive.”
Seems like most of the media, you don't like retracting a false story if it does not support your narratives. This article was posted well before you further complained about your your building "all afternoon" giving you plenty of opportunity to complete the story here. But you didn't feel the need to. Why?
Because our building never updated us on what was going on and I stayed at my office, working, past 9:00 p.m.

I’m glad it turns out no one was hurt. But the Mall was closed for hours and my building was locked down. This incident proved to be a relatively harmless inconvenience (except to the Mall tenants that lost half a Friday’s worth of revenue). But I’m still pissed off that I live in a world where my state government’s efforts to prevent ithings like this with sane gun control laws are opposed in the courts by politicians and voters on your side of the aisle. —Bob

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:What was the final story? You said "a report of an active shooter". Was there an actual shooter? If so, how many people were shot? Was it random or targeted?

All I found is this:
Because our building never updated us on what was going on and I stayed at my office, working, past 9:00 p.m.

I’m glad it turns out no one was hurt. But the Mall was closed for hours and my building was locked down. This incident proved to be a relatively harmless inconvenience (except to the Mall tenants that lost half a Friday’s worth of revenue). But I’m still pissed off that I live in a world where my state government’s efforts to prevent ithings like this with sane gun control laws are opposed in the courts by politicians and voters on your side of the aisle.
Please explain how sane gun control laws would have prevented a false "active shooter" report.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

All I found is this:

I’m glad it turns out no one was hurt. But the Mall was closed for hours and my building was locked down. This incident proved to be a relatively harmless inconvenience (except to the Mall tenants that lost half a Friday’s worth of revenue). But I’m still pissed off that I live in a world where my state government’s efforts to prevent ithings like this with sane gun control laws are opposed in the courts by politicians and voters on your side of the aisle.
Please explain how sane gun control laws would have prevented a false "active shooter" report.
And bomb threat.
Well, then

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Because our building never updated us on what was going on and I stayed at my office, working, past 9:00 p.m.

And bomb threat.
Uh........ because Trump!
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:45 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Estonut wrote:Please explain how sane gun control laws would have prevented a false "active shooter" report.
And bomb threat.
This is reminding me of the line the tobacco companies used to use until people understood it a little better:

Lots of different things cause lung cancer, right?
And you can't tie this specific case of lung cancer to tobacco use, can you?
So we should be held blameless for this death. And for the tens of thousands of similar deaths occurring annually.

Can I tell you that Donny's overt racism and currying of favor with white nationalists is directly responsible for any one specific incident? Probably not, although the New Zealand guy comes close. But it takes willful blindness to ignore the fact that Donny is using his megaphone to create an atmosphere where these incidents become more likely.

And I get that die-hard Republicans are prepared to remain willfully blind for as long as it takes. You're not my audience. My audience is the independents looking on in silence and wondering just what it will take for Republicans to regain their senses. You're doing a wonderful job of illustrating my point for me. --Bob

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:02 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Beebs52 wrote: And bomb threat.
This is reminding me of the line the tobacco companies used to use until people understood it a little better:

So we should be held blameless for this death. And for the tens of thousands of similar deaths occurring annually.

Can I tell you that Donny's overt racism and currying of favor with white nationalists is directly responsible for any one specific incident? Probably not, although the New Zealand guy comes close. But it takes willful blindness to ignore the fact that Donny is using his megaphone to create an atmosphere where these incidents become more likely.

And I get that die-hard Republicans are prepared to remain willfully blind for as long as it takes. You're not my audience. My audience is the independents looking on in silence and wondering just what it will take for Republicans to regain their senses. You're doing a wonderful job of illustrating my point for me. --Bob

<Judge Chamberlain Haller>Mr. Numbers, that is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent response. However, it does not remotely address the questions asked, and even quoted in your response. Please stay on topic, if you can. </Judge Chamberlain Halle>
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#11 Post by Estonut » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:04 pm

You, Bob78164, wrote:But I’m still pissed off that I live in a world where my state government’s efforts to prevent ithings like this with sane gun control laws are opposed in the courts by politicians and voters on your side of the aisle.
I then wrote:Please explain how sane gun control laws would have prevented a false "active shooter" report.
I'll wait.
Groucho Marx

Estonut
Evil Genius

#12 Post by Estonut » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:58 pm

Estonut wrote:
You, Bob78164, wrote:But I’m still pissed off that I live in a world where my state government’s efforts to prevent ithings like this with sane gun control laws are opposed in the courts by politicians and voters on your side of the aisle.
I then wrote:Please explain how sane gun control laws would have prevented a false "active shooter" report.
I'll wait.
Do you not understand the request, Bob?
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:44 pm

Estonut wrote:
Estonut wrote:
I'll wait.
Do you not understand the request, Bob?
Better than you understood my answer, apparently. I'll repeat it for your benefit:

Can I tell you with certainty that sane gun laws would have prevented any one specific incident? No. But I can feel very, very confident that far fewer such incidents would occur if our gun laws were sane, and that's a choice the people of the State of California should have the ability to make. --Bob