I'm Giving Trump Credit

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

I'm Giving Trump Credit

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:12 am

We did the first runthrough on our taxes this weekend, and I was favorably impressed by the way that the tax forms had been streamlined. These are much shorter and easier to deal with if you don't have a lot of unusual items (which most people don't). Even though he probably didn't oversee it personally, it happened on Trump's watch, so I'm giving him the overall credit for making things easier and shorter and quicker for most people.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

Re: I'm Giving Trump Credit

#2 Post by Vandal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:32 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:48 am

silverscreenselect wrote:We did the first runthrough on our taxes this weekend, and I was favorably impressed by the way that the tax forms had been streamlined. These are much shorter and easier to deal with if you don't have a lot of unusual items (which most people don't). Even though he probably didn't oversee it personally, it happened on Trump's watch, so I'm giving him the overall credit for making things easier and shorter and quicker for most people.
I'd happily accept the longer forms if it meant I could save the extra money I'm paying to fund a tax cut for billionaires. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:13 am

Bob78164 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:We did the first runthrough on our taxes this weekend, and I was favorably impressed by the way that the tax forms had been streamlined. These are much shorter and easier to deal with if you don't have a lot of unusual items (which most people don't). Even though he probably didn't oversee it personally, it happened on Trump's watch, so I'm giving him the overall credit for making things easier and shorter and quicker for most people.
I'd happily accept the longer forms if it meant I could save the extra money I'm paying to fund a tax cut for billionaires. --Bob
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/04/ ... -problems/
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:16 am

:shock:
Well, then

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:23 am

I screwed up by not paying attention. The standard deduction is now $24k (married filing jointly). My mortgage company pays my property taxes. They pay them in December each year, though they are not due until Jan 31. It has always been advantageous for them to pay them early. But this year, my actual deductions came up about $2k short and I took the standard deduction. I should have had my mortgage company wait until January to pay this year's taxes and then pay next year's in December as usual. Now I will be a year behind in "doubling up". I also made a large contribution to our church's building fund in October when I got my stay bonus from my previous employer. I should have held onto that until January as well.

I should sue my accountant.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 am

BackInTex wrote:I screwed up by not paying attention. The standard deduction is now $24k (married filing jointly). My mortgage company pays my property taxes. They pay them in December each year, though they are not due until Jan 31. It has always been advantageous for them to pay them early. But this year, my actual deductions came up about $2k short and I took the standard deduction. I should have had my mortgage company wait until January to pay this year's taxes and then pay next year's in December as usual. Now I will be a year behind in "doubling up". I also made a large contribution to our church's building fund in October when I got my stay bonus from my previous employer. I should have held onto that until January as well.

They're all incompetent crooks ya know.
Well, then

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:38 am

Beebs52 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
They're all incompetent crooks ya know.
Hey! I may be incompetent but I'm not a crook.

If I sue and win, is my income tax free? Would my, er, my accountant's loss be deductible? Hmmmm.... (maybe I am a crook).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:39 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Well there's a shocker. Someone who works for ALEC and who doesn't bother citing data to support the claims he's making likes the billionaires' tax cut.

Let me be clear. I wouldn't mind paying more taxes to make people's lives better. I'd bear this increase without complaining about the amount (as opposed to the way of allocating the increase) to support causes such as college tuition support, child care, or a host of other priorities. But I'm pissed off that I'm paying more taxes so that Donny and his cronies can afford yet another yacht.

And by the way, it's Democrats who already tended to live in "donor" states and Republicans who tend to live in states already receiving more than their fair (per capita) share of federal dollars. Capping the SALT deduction only made that worse.

So far, about the only good thing to come out of this tax bill is a Congressional map of Orange County that's now bright blue. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:39 am

BTW, HR Block Tax Cut has me getting a $1 refund. Yep, 100 cents. I was hoping for more, but glad I'm not paying.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:41 am

BackInTex wrote:BTW, HR Block Tax Cut has me getting a $1 refund. Yep, 100 cents. I was hoping for more, but glad I'm not paying.
Seriously? You prefer to give the government an interest-free loan? I always prefer to owe as much as I'm allowed to owe without paying a penalty. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:48 am

Bob78164 wrote:
I don't know how lucky we are to have survived the 1950s with those horrible 90% top marginal rates. It's a wonder we didn't become another Venezuela.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:25 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I'd happily accept the longer forms if it meant I could save the extra money I'm paying to fund a tax cut for billionaires. --Bob
I don't know how lucky we are to have survived the 1950s with those horrible 90% top marginal rates. It's a wonder we didn't become another Venezuela.
The funny thing is, millionaires are actually moving into California. The people who are leaving are the middle class and poor who can't afford our housing prices. That's a real problem, and it's one I'm inclined to attribute to overregulation of the construction industry here, but it's got nothing to do with our tax rates or our tax structure. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
The funny thing is, millionaires are actually moving into California. The people who are leaving are the middle class and poor who can't afford our housing prices. That's a real problem, and it's one I'm inclined to attribute to overregulation of the construction industry here, but it's got nothing to do with our tax rates or our tax structure. --Bob
Funny, when we were transferred to LA back in 83, for a promotion, because they couldn't get many of us middle class sorts to move there due to high state income tax and...the company subsidized our mortgage rate. Taxes and real estate goofiness all around.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Also, it was a fairly large company. Eastman Kodak. You may have heard of it...before it tanked. The Yellow Mother was just too slow to get with the times. Nice severance package tho.
Well, then

Vandal
Director of Promos

#16 Post by Vandal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Also, it was a fairly large company. Eastman Kodak. You may have heard of it...before it tanked. The Yellow Mother was just too slow to get with the times. Nice severance package tho.

Beebs killed Kodak.

I knew it.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#17 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Vandal wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Also, it was a fairly large company. Eastman Kodak. You may have heard of it...before it tanked. The Yellow Mother was just too slow to get with the times. Nice severance package tho.

Beebs killed Kodak.

I knew it.
Entirely possible. I was the quota queen in Rochester for a bit.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:18 pm

I'll give trump credit for making my tax rate on my net earnings just 21%. :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:24 pm

BackInTex wrote:I screwed up by not paying attention. The standard deduction is now $24k (married filing jointly). My mortgage company pays my property taxes. They pay them in December each year, though they are not due until Jan 31. It has always been advantageous for them to pay them early. But this year, my actual deductions came up about $2k short and I took the standard deduction. I should have had my mortgage company wait until January to pay this year's taxes and then pay next year's in December as usual. Now I will be a year behind in "doubling up". I also made a large contribution to our church's building fund in October when I got my stay bonus from my previous employer. I should have held onto that until January as well.

You may have been better off paying your property taxes in December: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-t ... 2018-02-05

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-th ... 2017-12-20
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.