I think the courts drew the line correctly

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

I think the courts drew the line correctly

#1 Post by BackInTex » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:16 pm

Supreme Court Balks At Appeal Of Christian Owner Found In Violation Of LGBT Anti-Discrimination Law

Without getting too wordy, I agree with the courts that the B&B owner violated the law (which I don't view as unconstitutional) when she refused to let the lesbian couple stay in her B&B.

This is quite different from the Masterpiece Cake Shop case where the baker refused to bake (and decorate) a cake to celebrate a gay marriage. In that case I, and the SC agreed, that the baker could not be forced to express something artistically he did not believe in. Jack was not refusing to bake cakes for gay people. He had done so many times. Just not to help celebrate their wedding.

Letting someone rent and stay in a room is not an endorsement of who stays there or what goes on there.

BTW, I visited the Masterpiece Cake Shop last week while in Denver. The owner Jack is quite a nice and humble man. And his baked goods are delicious.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: I think the courts drew the line correctly

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:51 pm

BackInTex wrote:Supreme Court Balks At Appeal Of Christian Owner Found In Violation Of LGBT Anti-Discrimination Law

Without getting too wordy, I agree with the courts that the B&B owner violated the law (which I don't view as unconstitutional) when she refused to let the lesbian couple stay in her B&B.

This is quite different from the Masterpiece Cake Shop case where the baker refused to bake (and decorate) a cake to celebrate a gay marriage. In that case I, and the SC agreed, that the baker could not be forced to express something artistically he did not believe in. Jack was not refusing to bake cakes for gay people. He had done so many times. Just not to help celebrate their wedding.

Letting someone rent and stay in a room is not an endorsement of who stays there or what goes on there.

BTW, I visited the Masterpiece Cake Shop last week while in Denver. The owner Jack is quite a nice and humble man. And his baked goods are delicious.
The Supreme Court decision regarding the Masterpiece Cake Shop didn't go as far as you think. The linked article is simply wrong in its description of the Court's decision. The Court did not reach the issue of whether the owner could be forced to bake a cake to help celebrate a same-sex wedding. It held that Colorado's process for reaching a decision was flawed in this instance. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson