Definitely not the father of the year

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Definitely not the father of the year

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:53 am

Gov. Matt Bevin of Kentucky deliberately had all nine of his children infected with chickenpox so that they wouldn't get it later in life. Of course, now they're at lifetime risk for shingles.

I wondered if he took this approach because the alternative was risking their infection as adults, when the virus is significantly more dangerous. That's not the case. The chickenpox vaccine was released in 1995. Bevin married his wife in 1996. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

Re: Definitely not the father of the year

#2 Post by BackInTex » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:48 am

Bob78164 wrote:Gov. Matt Bevin of Kentucky deliberately had all nine of his children infected with chickenpox so that they wouldn't get it later in life. Of course, now they're at lifetime risk for shingles.

I wondered if he took this approach because the alternative was risking their infection as adults, when the virus is significantly more dangerous. That's not the case. The chickenpox vaccine was released in 1995. Bevin married his wife in 1996. --Bob

This used to be common practice. Even recommended by many doctors. Is there a better way now? Sure, maybe. But the vaccine was relatively new back then. Keep looking though. I'm sure you'll find something on him.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

flockofseagulls104

#3 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:43 am

Bob78164 wrote:Gov. Matt Bevin of Kentucky deliberately had all nine of his children infected with chickenpox so that they wouldn't get it later in life. Of course, now they're at lifetime risk for shingles.

Is that all the batphone had today? What has Bevin done to earn a batphone call?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:43 am

BackInTex wrote:

This used to be common practice. Even recommended by many doctors. Is there a better way now? Sure, maybe. But the vaccine was relatively new back then. Keep looking though. I'm sure you'll find something on him.
As a citizen of the commonwealth of Kentucky I can tell you that this is only one of the idiocies practiced by our Dear Leader.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:02 pm

BackInTex wrote:

Nice try, but if you read the story, you'll discover that he did this to his nine children. By the time he had nine kids, the vaccine wasn't "relatively new." --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Appa23

#6 Post by Appa23 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:03 pm

BackInTex wrote:

His oldest child was born in 2002/2003. The vaccine was not new by that time. It was a well-established part of the newborn regime, having had children born in 2000 and 2002. I can't cut the Governor any slack here. Not anywhere close to the worst thing that a parent can do, but not all that defensible either.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#7 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:09 pm

I had no idea there was a chicken pox vaccine now. There's another childhood rite of passage out the window...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:01 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:I had no idea there was a chicken pox vaccine now. There's another childhood rite of passage out the window...

lb13
Not only does it protect against chicken pox but it helps prevent shingles later in life.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:25 pm

My kids got chickenpox before the vaccine happened, 1991. Greg, our oldest, got it, I thought. Then, he REALLY got it. Picked a pock, arm blew up overnite, with fever and delirium. A week in the hospital ensued with full body strep rash infection. It.was.a.fucking.nightmare. Pat, youngest, got a normal version of it.
Why anyone, now, wouldn't vaccinate is insane.
Well, then

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:23 pm

Beebs52 wrote:My kids got chickenpox before the vaccine happened, 1991. Greg, our oldest, got it, I thought. Then, he REALLY got it. Picked a pock, arm blew up overnite, with fever and delirium. A week in the hospital ensued with full body strep rash infection. It.was.a.fucking.nightmare. Pat, youngest, got a normal version of it.
I remember getting chicken pox. I was in 2nd grade. I got sick. It snowed 6-8 inches, in Austin, TX. Mom let me go out and play a whole 10 minutes. I was bummed. But she balanced my welfare and happiness well.

Today is her birthday. She would be 85.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:30 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:My kids got chickenpox before the vaccine happened, 1991. Greg, our oldest, got it, I thought. Then, he REALLY got it. Picked a pock, arm blew up overnite, with fever and delirium. A week in the hospital ensued with full body strep rash infection. It.was.a.fucking.nightmare. Pat, youngest, got a normal version of it.
I remember getting chicken pox. I was in 2nd grade. I got sick. It snowed 6-8 inches, in Austin, TX. Mom let me go out and play a whole 10 minutes. I was bummed. But she balanced my welfare and happiness well.

I also had chickenpox. And measles. I vaguely remember sleeping on the couch with hurty eyes for many days.

No reason to have measles or polio parties...let alone chickenpox. Nowadays.
Well, then

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:57 pm

BackInTex wrote:

I got pneumonia in the summer when I was five. I got to play outside zero minutes until the doc cleared me. I still remember my siblings running through the sprinkler . . .
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

BackInTex

#13 Post by BackInTex » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:37 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

I got pneumonia in the summer when I was five. I got to play outside zero minutes until the doc cleared me. I still remember my siblings running through the sprinkler . . .
You only had summer one day every 3 or 4 years? In my case, I was 7 years old, hadn't seen or played in snow in about 3 years, and maybe wouldn't see it again until I was 10-12. It was possibly a once in a childhood (phase) opportunity.

There was another situation when I was about 11 or 12, not related to illness so I did not mention it before, where it had once again snowed significantly (in Austin), maybe 3 inches on the ground, that my mother grounded me because I did not make my bed, as she specifically asked me. I did not get to go out that day, at all. I made it the next day. There was still some snow, but not with the freshness as the previous day.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:48 am

BackInTex wrote: You only had summer one day every 3 or 4 years? In my case, I was 7 years old, hadn't seen or played in snow in about 3 years, and maybe wouldn't see it again until I was 10-12. It was possibly a once in a childhood (phase) opportunity.

There was another situation when I was about 11 or 12, not related to illness so I did not mention it before, where it had once again snowed significantly (in Austin), maybe 3 inches on the ground, that my mother grounded me because I did not make my bed, as she specifically asked me. I did not get to go out that day, at all. I made it the next day. There was still some snow, but not with the freshness as the previous day.
The only memory I have of kindergarten in Orlando, FL, was one day that it started snowing after we arrived. I'm guessing that in Orlando, even in the worst winter conditions, they probably only had a few snowflakes. Anyway, the younger kids in the nursery school got to go outside for recess first and then it would be our turn. We kept talking about how we were going to build a snowman and have snowball fights. As you might guess, by the time we got outside, it had stopped snowing and there was nary a snowflake to be found on the ground. Big disappointment. It would be years before I got to see snow again.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#15 Post by BackInTex » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:13 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
BackInTex wrote: You only had summer one day every 3 or 4 years? In my case, I was 7 years old, hadn't seen or played in snow in about 3 years, and maybe wouldn't see it again until I was 10-12. It was possibly a once in a childhood (phase) opportunity.

The only memory I have of kindergarten in Orlando, FL, was one day that it started snowing after we arrived. I'm guessing that in Orlando, even in the worst winter conditions, they probably only had a few snowflakes. Anyway, the younger kids in the nursery school got to go outside for recess first and then it would be our turn. We kept talking about how we were going to build a snowman and have snowball fights. As you might guess, by the time we got outside, it had stopped snowing and there was nary a snowflake to be found on the ground. Big disappointment. It would be years before I got to see snow again.

This reminds me of a time, I think I was 13 or 14, we had a Ouija Board. We had of course asked it many things over the year (one of the things was who I would marry. It said Pat Pearson. I never met a Pat Pearson, but there was a Pat Pearson at A&M while I was there. HE ran for student body president. I intentionally never tried to reach out to him, but I digress), but the weather forecast was for a big cold front to come in. We asked the board if and when it would snow. This was a couple of days before the front was to arrive. It said "Yes" and then picked the day and time (Thursday at 10:30 AM - probably not the exact thing is said but for example purposes). It began snowing within 10 minutes of that time. It did not snow enough to stick, but it was snowing. To this day it still freaks me out a little.
~~ Thomas Jefferson