R.I.P. Richard 'Dick' Cole

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

R.I.P. Richard 'Dick' Cole

#1 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Richard 'Dick' Cole, last WWII Doolittle Raider, dies in Texas
Retired Lt. Col. Richard "Dick" Cole, the last of the 80 Doolittle Tokyo Raiders who carried out the daring U.S. attack on Japan during World War II, died Tuesday at a military hospital in Texas. He was 103.
They then headed to China, running out of fuel. Cole said Doolittle gave the command to prepare to bail out as they neared the coast, adding: "I wish you all good luck."

Cole said it was scary to parachute into a dark "unknown" in rough weather. His parachute caught in a tree, leaving him dangling but safe. Chinese partisans helped lead him and other Raiders to safety.

Three Raiders died trying to reach China, and eight were captured by Japanese soldiers. Three were executed, and a fourth died in captivity.
"We don't want to be remembered any more than the rest of the people who took part in beating the Japanese," Cole said. "They started it, and we finished it."
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

Re: R.I.P. Richard 'Dick' Cole

#2 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:44 pm

:(