New Single-Day Record J! Win!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Estonut
Evil Genius

New Single-Day Record J! Win!

#1 Post by Estonut » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 am

James Holzhauer, a professional gambler, wins record 1-day total of over $110,000 on 'Jeopardy!'

I checked the transcripts and didn't find him there. Does he look very familiar to anyone else?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

BackInTex

Re: New Single-Day Record J! Win!

#2 Post by BackInTex » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:00 am

This is a cool thing he did...

(answer hidden to not spoil it for anyone still wanting to watch the show)
While standing at the same total heading into Final Jeopardy, he bid $38,314, nailed the correct response --
Spoiler
"What is 'Quantum Leap'?"in reference to the TV show
-- and finished with the record $110,914.

He chose the odd number combination as tribute to his daughter, who was born Nov. 9, 2014.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:07 am

BackInTex wrote:This is a cool thing he did...

(answer hidden to not spoil it for anyone still wanting to watch the show)
While standing at the same total heading into Final Jeopardy, he bid $38,314, nailed the correct response --
Spoiler
"What is 'Quantum Leap'?"in reference to the TV show
-- and finished with the record $110,914.

He chose the odd number combination as tribute to his daughter, who was born Nov. 9, 2014.
Spoiler
I didn't see the episode, but comments in the article that I linked to indicate that the question was about the physics term and had nothing to do with the TV show. I guess that's the kind of research you get from GMA.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:34 am

I haven't seen his games, but I'm guessing he bets heavily on daily doubles. I'm kind of curious what sort of totals his opponents wind up with going into FJ.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:38 am

silverscreenselect wrote:I haven't seen his games, but I'm guessing he bets heavily on daily doubles. I'm kind of curious what sort of totals his opponents wind up with going into FJ.
He goes in heavily when he its the Daily Doubles - last night hit all three. On the first one he bet $1,000 (all he could wager). On the first one in DJ! he went all-in, wagering $14,600. On the second one he wagered $25,000 (of a total of $46,800). All of his wins have been runaways - last night he had $72,600 going into FJ! while his opponents had $6,400 and $7,000.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:04 am

Estonut wrote:James Holzhauer, a professional gambler, wins record 1-day total of over $110,000 on 'Jeopardy!'

I checked the transcripts and didn't find him there. Does he look very familiar to anyone else?
He was on The Chase.
Well, then

mellytu74

#7 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:28 am

I think the guy is obnoxious. And I am disinclined to watch him steamroll people.

It can't be the jumping around categories and starting in the middle because Jackie did that - as have others - and, although that's not my favorite style of play, I'll watch it. But, something about this guy …..

So, he's forcing me to watch the first-place Phillies. Gee, what a shame. :evil:

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:07 am

mellytu74 wrote:I think the guy is obnoxious. And I am disinclined to watch him steamroll people.

It can't be the jumping around categories and starting in the middle because Jackie did that - as have others - and, although that's not my favorite style of play, I'll watch it. But, something about this guy …..

So, he's forcing me to watch the first-place Phillies. Gee, what a shame. :evil:
Kind of like watching the Patriots (or the Steelers in the 70's), I know. ;)
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:18 am

Estonut wrote:James Holzhauer, a professional gambler, wins record 1-day total of over $110,000 on 'Jeopardy!'

I think his sister was on Millionaire and he was in the audience supporting her. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:44 am

Bob78164 wrote:

I think his sister was on Millionaire and he was in the audience supporting her. --Bob
Indeed she was, and there's a shot on the J! board of her, with him in the background.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

christie1111
11:11

#11 Post by christie1111 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Yeah, not my favorite player. But I do watch J! every night I am home so I will keep watching.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:06 pm

mellytu74 wrote:I think the guy is obnoxious. And I am disinclined to watch him steamroll people.

I was looking for steamroll, etc and all I see is a guy with great general knowledge and willing to go all out. Running the 1000 and 2000 first is rather brilliant. I grant you his smile is iffy, but I like this guy.
Well, then

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#13 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:59 pm

I'm with Christie -- if I'm home, I watch.

Sure, I'd rather watch Jackie, much more iikable. But I really like that he's willing to bet it all on daily doubles. SteelersFan will tell you that I'm always yelling, "Bet it all!"
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:25 pm

christie1111 wrote:Yeah, not my favorite player. But I do watch J! every night I am home so I will keep watching.
It turns out he's a bridge player. So all is forgiven. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

#15 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Beebs52 wrote:

I was looking for steamroll, etc and all I see is a guy with great general knowledge and willing to go all out. Running the 1000 and 2000 first is rather brilliant. I grant you his smile is iffy, but I like this guy.
I realized tonight what it is about him.

He looks like an old boyfriend! :O :O And not one of several that I set up with their future wives. :D :D

Now that I am past that, I feel better watching him.