Game #189: All-Star Cast

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: Game #189: All-Star Cast

#26 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:46 am

franktangredi wrote: B-70. This caper film bombed at the box office and was nominated for five Razzie awards. (Maybe it was all the Elvis impersonators….).
This is the first real chance I've had to look at this puzzle.

3000 MILES TO GRACELAND
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#27 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:46 am

franktangredi wrote:B-14. In this film, Lloyd Dobler took on a role that had previously been played by Hannibal Lecter and Count Dracula.
This is THE BUTLER (or LEE DANIELS' THE BUTLER) in which Cusack plays Richard Nixon, played earlier by Anthony Hopkins and Frank Langella.

silverscreenselect

#28 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:53 am

franktangredi wrote: B-59. “Yes, I know who Judas was. He was a man I worked for and admired until he disgraced the four stars on his uniform.”
SEVEN DAYS IN MAY

mrkelley23

Re: Game #189: New Consolidation and possible Tang

#29 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:11 pm

Added a couple of things to the consolidation and noticed how many words that doubled as surnames were in the titles of list B. I think there may be one or two more parameters, but I'm pretty confident I'm on the right track.

Tangredi: Actor from List A starred in a movie with actors whose last names appear in the titles in List B

A-12 Howard Keel starred in Show Boat with B-12 Joe E BROWN and B-65 Marge and Gower CHAMPION
A-3 Brad Pitt starred in Money Ball with B-77 Jonah HILL, B-32 Stanley BISHOP, and B-11 Reed DIAMOND

A-11 Cary Elwes starred in The Princess Bride with B-41 Billy CRYSTAL and B-52 Fred SAVAGE

CONSOLIDATION

Identify the 33 actors in List A and the 80 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match each actor with from two to four movies according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Twenty-two actors will be matched with two movies, eleven actors will be matched with three movies, and three actors will be matched with four movies.

Nine movies will be used twice, each in two different ways. Three actors will be used twice.

LIST A: ACTORS

A-1. “Woman-of-the-house! I have brought the brother home to supper!”

JOHN WAYNE

A-2. When offered the lead in what would become a huge hit comedy, this actress turned it down, saying “"My fans don't want to see me in a wimple.”

BETTE MIDLER

A-3. “An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables. Slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy s**t we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.”

BRAD PITT

A-4. Between 1961 and 1965, he won three Tony awards – one for Best Actor in a Play and two for Best Actor in a Musical.

ZERO MOSTEL

A-5. “Give me a girl at an impressionable age and she is mine for life.”

MAGGIE SMITH

A-6. He originated a screen role that would later be played – more or less – by Jeff Bridges and Adrien Brody.

A-7. “I just want you to know, if you ever need anything, don't be shy, okay? There are no rules in the house. I'm not like a regular mom, I'm a cool mom.”

A-8. Her godparents were Ira Gershwin and Kay Thompson.

LIZA MINNELLI?

A-9. “You pompous, stuck-up, snot-nosed, English, giant, twerp, scumbag, f**k-face, d**khead, a**hole. ”

KEVIN KLINE

A-10. The career of this Oscar-winning actress was abruptly cut short due to the blacklist. (Being married to one of the Hollywood Ten didn’t help.)

GALE SONDERGAARD

A-11. “He doesn't want us to cut through our chains. He wants us to cut through our feet!”

CARY ELWES

A-12. In film adaptations of Broadway musicals, he performed songs written by Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Rudol Friml, and the team of Wright and Forrest.

HOWARD KEEL

A-13. “You slammed her! You dunked her donut! You gave her dog a Snausage! You stuffed her like a Thanksgiving turkey!”

A-14. This legendary performer played himself in movies starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, and James Stewart.

LOUIS ARMSTRONG?

A-15. “You got twelve, they got twelve. The old ladies is just as good as you are!”

PETER LORRE

A-16. He is the oldest living recipient of the Mark Twain Prize.

CARL REINER? BOB NEWHART?

A-17. “I know him. He'll kill himself just to spite me. Then his ghost will come back, following me around the apartment, haunting and cleaning, haunting and cleaning, haunting and cleaning....”

WALTER MATTHAU

A-18. Many people – including Hitchcock himself – thought this actor was far more appealing as a Hitchcock villain than he was three years later as a Hitchcock hero.

A-19. “Get those brokers back in here! Turn those machines back on! Turn those machines back on!”

DON AMECHE

A-20. Her real-life film roles included the sister of a great 20th century novelist and the wife of a great 20th century poet and playwright.

A-21. “I can't read the rest of the speech I had, because the lights have gone out, so I'll just have to talk off the cuff. All that noise you hear isn't static - it's death, coming to London. Yes, they're coming here now. You can hear the bombs falling on the streets and the homes. Don't tune me out, hang on a while - this is a big story, and you're part of it. It's too late to do anything here now except stand in the dark and let them come... as if the lights were all out everywhere, except in America. Keep those lights burning, cover them with steel, ring them with guns, build a canopy of battleships and bombing planes around them. Hello, America, hang on to your lights: they're the only lights left in the world!”

JOEL MCCREA

A-22. He received his two Oscar nominations for films based on novels by Larry McMurtry and John Irving.

JOHN LITHGOW

A-23. “I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream - and I hope you don't find this too crazy - is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do.”

STEVE MARTIN

A-24. She was the first of two actresses to win a Tony for playing a role that, in the interim, won an Oscar for an actress in one of the preceding clues. Got that?

JULIE HARRIS

A-25. “You died on a Saturday morning. And I had you placed here under our tree. And I had that house of your father's bulldozed to the ground.”

TOM HANKS

A-26. She often signed autographs “WWW.”

MARGARET HAMILTON?

A-27. “We don't really move. I mean, we'd like to, but my mom is sort of attached to the house. Attached is, I guess, not the right word. She's pretty much wedged in.”

JOHNNY DEPP

A-28. No other living actor received an Oscar earlier than she did.

MARGARET O’BRIEN

A-29. “I think ... no, I am positive. .. that you are the most unattractive man I have ever met in my entire life. You know, in the short time we've been together, you have demonstrated every loathsome characteristic of the male personality and even discovered a few new ones. You are physically repulsive, intellectually retarded, you're morally reprehensible, vulgar, insensitive, selfish, stupid, you have no taste, a lousy sense of humor and you smell. You're not even interesting enough to make me sick.”

CHER

A-30. This actor’s decision to come out in October 2011 was inspired by the tragic suicide of gay teenager Jamey Rodemeyer.

ZACHARY QUINTO

A-31. “Thank you, Daniel, that is very good to know. But if staying here means working within ten yards of you, frankly, I'd rather have a job wiping Saddam Hussein's arse.”

RENEE ZELLWEGER

A-32. In 2007, he became the first person born in the 1980s to be nominated for a Best Actor Oscar.

ADRIEN BRODY?

A-33. “If he'd just pay me what he's spending to make me stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.”

PAUL NEWMAN

LIST B: MOVIES

B-1. “A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.”

THE WIZARD OF OZ

B-2. This Franco-Italian comedy was adapted into both a hit Broadway musical and an Americanized movie remake.

LA CAGE AUX FOLLES

B-3. “I mean, anyone comes alongside a Humvee, we're dead. Anybody even looks at you funny, we're dead. Pretty much the bottom line is, if you're in Iraq, you're dead. How's a f**king tank supposed to stop that?”
“Would you shut the f**k up, Owen, please?”
“Sorry. Just tryin' to scare the new guy.

B-4. This World War II actioner earned one of the actors in Part A his first Oscar nomination.

THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA

B-5. “I'm so Chinese I'm an econ professor with lactose intolerance.”

B-6. The making of this 1978 documentary led directly to an acclaimed German director eating his shoe.

B-7. “We live in an era of fraud in America. Not just in banking, but in government, education, religion, food, even baseball. What bothers me isn't that fraud is not nice. Or that fraud is mean. For fifteen thousand years, fraud and short sighted thinking have never, ever worked. Not once. Eventually you get caught, things go south. When the hell did we forget all that? I thought we were better than this, I really did.”

THE BIG SHORT

B-8. The director of this western flew to America to persuade its star to take on the villain role, telling him, “"Picture this: the camera shows a gunman from the waist down pulling his gun and shooting a running child. The camera pans up to the gunman's face and...”

THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY? ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST?

B-9. “It's a hard world for little things.”

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER

B-10. The title characters of this Oscar-nominated musical comedy and its sequel were Penny, Joan, and Kay

THREE SMART GIRLS

B-11. “The people back home wouldn't buy a ring if they knew it cost someone else their hand.”

BLOOD DIAMOND

B-12. Roger Ebert’s review of this film led to its director calling him "a fat pig with the physique of a slave trader

BROWN BUNNY

B-13. “Giant evil gods.”
“ I wish I could've seen them. ”
“ I know. That would have been a fun weekend.”

B-14. In this film, Lloyd Dobler took on a role that had previously been played by Hannibal Lecter and Count Dracula.
THE BUTLER

B-15. “How will they ever be included if they can't ever read or write English?”
“I quite agree with you, P.K. But at the end of the day, it's only about a dozen people you're talking about teaching. How much difference will that really make?”
“A waterfall begins from only one drop of water, sir. Look what comes from that.”

THE POWER OF ONE

B-16. This 1964 thriller was the last feature film made by the legendary actress who came in 11th on the AFI list of greatest film stars.

THE NIGHT WALKER

B-17. “I'm exhausted! I want to go home! I miss my wife and kids, okay?”
“No, no, no, no, no! Let me explain something to you, okay? If Maggie and Grace find out that we can't get laid on our own, they'll start thinking that we need them to get laid! Do you realize what that'll do to the balance of power in our homes?”

B-18. This film, ranked by the Toronto Film Festival as one of the ten greatest Canadian films of all time, takes its title from T.S. Eliot’s most quotable poem.

B-19. “Hallo. Vould you like to have a roll in ze hay?”

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

B-20. The young actress who causes all the trouble in this psychological thriller would, six years later, cause almost as much trouble as the title character of an Oscar-winning movie.

B-21. “I don't, I don't want to kill you! What would I do without you? Go back to ripping off mob dealers? No, no, no! No. You ... you ... complete me.”

B-22. The question of whether or not to kill off the character voiced by Pat Buttram proved a major bone of contention in the making of this film.

ROBIN HOOD? THE FOX AND THE HOUND?

B-23. “This is the one about the babysitter, right? She's getting those scary and harassing phone calls and when she traces them back, they are coming from inside the house. But a**swipe, aren't you forgetting something? I'm not babysitting any kids!”
“Wrong legend! This is the one about the old lady who dries her wet dog in the microwave oven.”

B-24. In this film noir, the actress referenced in Clue B-20 doesn’t make any trouble, but she finds herself in a considerable amount of trouble after drinking six cocktails.

B-25. “My minimum price for taking a stranded lady to a telephone is 400 dollars.”

ROMANCING THE STONE

B-26. This 1996 movie marked the feature film debut of a director and a pair of acting brothers who would all go on to much greater success.

BOTTLE ROCKET

B-27. “Robert, please. You don't understand, no one does. When a woman makes the choice to marry, to have children; in one way her life begins but in another way it stops. You build a life of details. You become a mother, a wife and you stop and stay steady so that your children can move. And when they leave they take your life of details with them. And then you're expected move again only you don't remember what moves you because no-one has asked in so long. Not even yourself. You never in your life think that love like this can happen to you.”

BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY

B-28. More than twenty years after Paramount forced the temperamental director of this silent classic to edit it into two films – the second entitled The Honeymoon – the Cinémathèque Française gave him the opportunity to edit the footage back into a single film.

THE WEDDING MARCH

B-29. “Billy, before I go there's something I want to tell you. You're not quite old enough, but, well ... it's the googly. Your hand is too small to master it, but you can make a start.”

B-30. George Gershwin received an Oscar nomination for his work on this film – and, dammit, he should have won!

SHALL WE DANCE

B-31. “Murders and rapes in the city, people bomb planes, can the police stop 'em? No! But feed one little cow to a crocodile....”

LAKE PLACID

B-32. This 1935 comedy crime film features Kris Kringle as the title cleric.

THE BISHOP MISBEHAVES?

B-33. “Hey, buddy, I'm not paying you to hear your thoughts on life. I'm paying you to sing.”
“Well, I have a microphone, and you don't, so you will listen to every damn word I have to say!”

THE WEDDING SINGER

B-34. This musical adaptation of a Mark Twain novel could not use the original Broadway score because the songs had already been purchased by a rival studio for a musical biopic the year before.

A CONNECTICUT YANKEE IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT

B-35. “They blew up Congress! Ha ha ha ha!”

B-36. A shipwreck survivor starts to go mad in the bayou – or does she? – in this 1944 Gothic film noir.

B-37. “Four years ago something terrible happened here. We did nothing about it, nothing. The whole town fell into a sort of settled melancholy and all the people in it closed their eyes, and held their tongues, and failed the test with a whimper. And now something terrible's going to happen again - and in a way we're lucky, because we've been given a second chance.”

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK

B-38. This Hitchcock film stars a woman who had previously won an Oscar and a man who would later win an Oscar – neither of whom had ever worked with the director, or each other, before, or would again. Got that?

TORN CURTAIN

B-39. “Running was always a big thing in our family, specially running away from the police. It's hard to understand. All I know is that you've got to run, running without knowing why, through fields and woods. And the winning post's no end, even though the barmy crowds might be cheering themselves daft.”

B-40. This was the first of only two Czech entries to receive the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film.

THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET

B-41. “The Skeksis, with their hard and twisted bodies, their harsh and twisted wills. For a thousand years they have ruled. Yet now, there are only ten: a dying race, ruled by a dying Emperor, imprisoned within themselves in a dying land.”

THE DARK CRYSTAL

B-42. This movie won the first Oscar for Visual Effects thanks to its earthquake and flood sequences.

B-43. “That's Rachel, you can learn a lot from her.”
“She just cut some guy's ponytail off!”
“Yeah, the court ordered her to take anger-management classes after she pummeled a customer for grabbin' her ass. He pressed charges, I gave her a raise. Cheers!”

COYOTE UGLY

B-44. Like another film released the same year, this movie deals with lovers whose happiness is threatened by a family feud – but set in Appalachia rather than Verona.

B-45. “She's fair game, Joe. It's always open season on princesses.”

ROMAN HOLIDAY

B-46. There are only about 25 lines of dialogue in this horror movie, and the first does not occur until 38 minutes into the film.

B-47. “Speak louder, Mr. Hart! Fill the room with your intelligence!”

THE PAPER CHASE

B-48. This film marked the first screen appearance of the most popular character created by mystery novelist Leslie Charteris.

A Saint movie

B-49. “You hate me. You hate me, don't you? Answer me! You hate me don't you!”
“Yes, I hate you. Always have.”
“Well, I’ve always loved you.”

B-50. This concert documentary features performances by – among others – Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, the Mamas and the Papas, the Who, Jimi Hendrix, and Ravi Shankar. (Hey, it was the sixties.)

MONTERREY POP

B-51. “One chance to answer with some dignity or I swear you're going into this barrel while you're still alive to feel the pain!”

10 CLOVERFIELD LANE

B-52. This 1963 film was the sequel to arguably the biggest tearjerker ever to emerge from the Disney Studios.

SAVAGE SAM

B-53. ” Loneliness has followed me my whole life, everywhere. In bars, in cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere. There's no escape. I'm God's lonely man.”

TAXI DRIVER

B-54. Despite its title, this 1935 comedy starred, not Jack Benny, but one of his closest friends.

B-55. “The next time you strike an Indian for any reason whatsoever, it is you who is going to be sent away. They are different from us, they don't understand! And besides that, it could be very dangerous for us all.”
“Do you want Billy seeing their filthy tricks?”
“It will not seem filthy to him unless we make it so. Honey, it is very natural.”
“Natural? And if one of those nasty little savages puts a hand on him?”
“Then he might enjoy it.”

AT PLAY IN THE FIELDS OF THE LORD

B-56. The subject of this 1975 documentary reportedly wore a red dress to the premiere –backwards, with the zipper in front.

B-57. “We cannot stop the ship!”
“Then we have to slow it down.”
“What are you gonna do, are you gonna let the air outta our tires?”

B-58. This film featured the director referenced in Clue B-28 as a real-life military genius.

FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO

B-59. “Yes, I know who Judas was. He was a man I worked for and admired until he disgraced the four stars on his uniform.”

SEVEN DAYS IN MAY

B-60. Henry Winkler said that he based the Fonz on the performance of one of his co-stars in this movie. (The co-star, like Winkler, would soon to on to bigger and better things.)

THE LORDS OF FLATBUSH

B-61. “Hey, Flagg, wait for baby!”

WHAT PRICE GLORY

B-62. This comedy about a hayseed who becomes a Hollywood star marked the screen debut of a veteran vaudevillian who was best known for his stage role as one of the main characters in the movie referenced in Clue B-1. Got that?

B-63. “That son of a bitch stole my watch.”

THE FRONT PAGE

B-64. In this comedy, Danny Kaye played a role akin to ones played by Michael Redgrave on the big screen and Cliff Robertson on the small screen.

B-65. “He was a credit to the fight game until the very end. “

CHAMPION

B-66. This British family drama takes its name from an early 19th century Christmas carol.

B-67. “He's dead. They stuffed him with pages torn from his favorite book. Could you cook him?”

B-68. Despite what the director told the press, the most notorious scene in this movie actually utilized powdered cow’s milk. Lots of it.

ANNIE HALL? THE SIGN OF THE CROSS?

B-69. “Is that it? Is that all you're gonna ask me? Well I got a couple of thousand goddamn questions, you know. I want to speak to someone in charge. I want to lodge a complaint. You have no right to make people crazy! You think I investigate every Walter Cronkite story there is? Huh? If this is just nerve gas, how come I know everything in such detail? I've never been here before. How come I know so much? What the hell is going on around here? Who the hell are you people?”

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND

B-70. This caper film bombed at the box office and was nominated for five Razzie awards. (Maybe it was all the Elvis impersonators….)

3000 MILES TO GRACELAND

B-71. “Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter eleven months of the year. Anne Murray - all day, every day.”

CANADIAN BACON?

B-72. This film about a man in search of his illegitimate son marked the only screen pairing of the actress reference in Clue B-16 with the actor who was ranked 8th on the same AFI list.

THESE WILDER YEARS

B-73. “I don't get hurt or bleed, hair doesn't muss; it's one of the advantages of being imaginary.”

PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO

B-74. This 1939 cartoon short was built around a Hoagy Carmichael/Frank Loesser song that appeared in my last game – but in an underwater setting.

SMALL FRY

B-75. “Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary - the American Navy. For forty years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage.”

THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER

B-76. Made at the request of FDR on behalf of an ally, this wartime drama later became an object of suspicion to HUAC.

TENDER COMRADE

B-77. “And don't forget ... I'm also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.”

NOTTING HILL

B-78. This movie directed by a leading independent filmmaker marked the American debut of the second actor to win an Oscar for a foreign language film. Got that?

B-79. “Fifty years ago, for five minutes you came within ... you came this close. It would kill some men to get so close to their dream and not touch it. God, they'd consider it a tragedy.”
“Son, if I'd only gotten to be a doctor for five minutes ... now that would have been a tragedy.”

FIELD OF DREAMS

B-80. Robert Downey, Jr., and the actor in Clue A-27 have each recreated a sequence first performed in this movie.

THE GOLD RUSH
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

jarnon

#30 Post by jarnon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:56 pm

MrK, you did it again!

A-23 STEVE MARTIN starred in Three Amigos with B-7 Martin SHORT and B-47 Chevy CHASE
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

kroxquo

#31 Post by kroxquo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:00 am

Then I'm pretty sure B-35 is Mars Attacks which would make:

A-5 ZERO MOSTEL starred in The Producers with B-72 Gene WILDER and B-35 Kenneth MARS
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

franktangredi

#32 Post by franktangredi » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:52 am

One actor with a question mark is wrong and one 'definite' movie is wrong.

mrkelley23 wrote:Added a couple of things to the consolidation and noticed how many words that doubled as surnames were in the titles of list B. I think there may be one or two more parameters, but I'm pretty confident I'm on the right track.

Tangredi: Actor from List A starred in a movie with actors whose last names appear in the titles in List B

A-12 Howard Keel starred in Show Boat with B-12 Joe E BROWN and B-65 Marge and Gower CHAMPION
A-3 Brad Pitt starred in Money Ball with B-77 Jonah HILL, B-32 Stanley BISHOP, and B-11 Reed DIAMOND

A-11 Cary Elwes starred in The Princess Bride with B-41 Billy CRYSTAL and B-52 Fred SAVAGE

CONSOLIDATION

Identify the 33 actors in List A and the 80 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match each actor with from two to four movies according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Twenty-two actors will be matched with two movies, eleven actors will be matched with three movies, and three actors will be matched with four movies.

Nine movies will be used twice, each in two different ways. Three actors will be used twice.

JOHN WAYNE

A-2. When offered the lead in what would become a huge hit comedy, this actress turned it down, saying “"My fans don't want to see me in a wimple.”

BETTE MIDLER

A-3. “An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables. Slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy s**t we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.”

BRAD PITT

A-4. Between 1961 and 1965, he won three Tony awards – one for Best Actor in a Play and two for Best Actor in a Musical.

ZERO MOSTEL

MAGGIE SMITH

A-6. He originated a screen role that would later be played – more or less – by Jeff Bridges and Adrien Brody.

A-7. “I just want you to know, if you ever need anything, don't be shy, okay? There are no rules in the house. I'm not like a regular mom, I'm a cool mom.”

LIZA MINNELLI?

A-9. “You pompous, stuck-up, snot-nosed, English, giant, twerp, scumbag, f**k-face, d**khead, a**hole. ”

KEVIN KLINE

A-10. The career of this Oscar-winning actress was abruptly cut short due to the blacklist. (Being married to one of the Hollywood Ten didn’t help.)

GALE SONDERGAARD

A-11. “He doesn't want us to cut through our chains. He wants us to cut through our feet!”

CARY ELWES

A-12. In film adaptations of Broadway musicals, he performed songs written by Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Rudol Friml, and the team of Wright and Forrest.

HOWARD KEEL

A-13. “You slammed her! You dunked her donut! You gave her dog a Snausage! You stuffed her like a Thanksgiving turkey!”

A-14. This legendary performer played himself in movies starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, and James Stewart.

LOUIS ARMSTRONG?

A-15. “You got twelve, they got twelve. The old ladies is just as good as you are!”

PETER LORRE

A-17. “I know him. He'll kill himself just to spite me. Then his ghost will come back, following me around the apartment, haunting and cleaning, haunting and cleaning, haunting and cleaning....”

WALTER MATTHAU

A-18. Many people – including Hitchcock himself – thought this actor was far more appealing as a Hitchcock villain than he was three years later as a Hitchcock hero.

A-19. “Get those brokers back in here! Turn those machines back on! Turn those machines back on!”

DON AMECHE

A-20. Her real-life film roles included the sister of a great 20th century novelist and the wife of a great 20th century poet and playwright.

A-21. “I can't read the rest of the speech I had, because the lights have gone out, so I'll just have to talk off the cuff. All that noise you hear isn't static - it's death, coming to London. Yes, they're coming here now. You can hear the bombs falling on the streets and the homes. Don't tune me out, hang on a while - this is a big story, and you're part of it. It's too late to do anything here now except stand in the dark and let them come... as if the lights were all out everywhere, except in America. Keep those lights burning, cover them with steel, ring them with guns, build a canopy of battleships and bombing planes around them. Hello, America, hang on to your lights: they're the only lights left in the world!”

JOEL MCCREA

A-22. He received his two Oscar nominations for films based on novels by Larry McMurtry and John Irving.

JOHN LITHGOW

A-23. “I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream - and I hope you don't find this too crazy - is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do.”

STEVE MARTIN

A-24. She was the first of two actresses to win a Tony for playing a role that, in the interim, won an Oscar for an actress in one of the preceding clues. Got that?

JULIE HARRIS

A-25. “You died on a Saturday morning. And I had you placed here under our tree. And I had that house of your father's bulldozed to the ground.”

TOM HANKS

MARGARET HAMILTON?

A-27. “We don't really move. I mean, we'd like to, but my mom is sort of attached to the house. Attached is, I guess, not the right word. She's pretty much wedged in.”

JOHNNY DEPP

MARGARET O’BRIEN

A-29. “I think ... no, I am positive. .. that you are the most unattractive man I have ever met in my entire life. You know, in the short time we've been together, you have demonstrated every loathsome characteristic of the male personality and even discovered a few new ones. You are physically repulsive, intellectually retarded, you're morally reprehensible, vulgar, insensitive, selfish, stupid, you have no taste, a lousy sense of humor and you smell. You're not even interesting enough to make me sick.”

CHER

A-30. This actor’s decision to come out in October 2011 was inspired by the tragic suicide of gay teenager Jamey Rodemeyer.

ZACHARY QUINTO

A-31. “Thank you, Daniel, that is very good to know. But if staying here means working within ten yards of you, frankly, I'd rather have a job wiping Saddam Hussein's arse.”

RENEE ZELLWEGER

A-32. In 2007, he became the first person born in the 1980s to be nominated for a Best Actor Oscar.

ADRIEN BRODY?

A-33. “If he'd just pay me what he's spending to make me stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.”

PAUL NEWMAN

B-1. “A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.”

THE WIZARD OF OZ

B-2. This Franco-Italian comedy was adapted into both a hit Broadway musical and an Americanized movie remake.

LA CAGE AUX FOLLES

B-3. “I mean, anyone comes alongside a Humvee, we're dead. Anybody even looks at you funny, we're dead. Pretty much the bottom line is, if you're in Iraq, you're dead. How's a f**king tank supposed to stop that?”

B-4. This World War II actioner earned one of the actors in Part A his first Oscar nomination.

THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA

B-6. The making of this 1978 documentary led directly to an acclaimed German director eating his shoe.

B-7. “We live in an era of fraud in America. Not just in banking, but in government, education, religion, food, even baseball. What bothers me isn't that fraud is not nice. Or that fraud is mean. For fifteen thousand years, fraud and short sighted thinking have never, ever worked. Not once. Eventually you get caught, things go south. When the hell did we forget all that? I thought we were better than this, I really did.”

THE BIG SHORT

B-8. The director of this western flew to America to persuade its star to take on the villain role, telling him, “"Picture this: the camera shows a gunman from the waist down pulling his gun and shooting a running child. The camera pans up to the gunman's face and...”

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER

B-10. The title characters of this Oscar-nominated musical comedy and its sequel were Penny, Joan, and Kay

THREE SMART GIRLS

B-11. “The people back home wouldn't buy a ring if they knew it cost someone else their hand.”

BLOOD DIAMOND

B-12. Roger Ebert’s review of this film led to its director calling him "a fat pig with the physique of a slave trader

BROWN BUNNY

B-13. “Giant evil gods.”

B-14. In this film, Lloyd Dobler took on a role that had previously been played by Hannibal Lecter and Count Dracula.
THE BUTLER

B-15. “How will they ever be included if they can't ever read or write English?”
“I quite agree with you, P.K. But at the end of the day, it's only about a dozen people you're talking about teaching. How much difference will that really make?”
“A waterfall begins from only one drop of water, sir. Look what comes from that.”

THE POWER OF ONE

B-16. This 1964 thriller was the last feature film made by the legendary actress who came in 11th on the AFI list of greatest film stars.

THE NIGHT WALKER

“No, no, no, no, no! Let me explain something to you, okay? If Maggie and Grace find out that we can't get laid on our own, they'll start thinking that we need them to get laid! Do you realize what that'll do to the balance of power in our homes?”

B-18. This film, ranked by the Toronto Film Festival as one of the ten greatest Canadian films of all time, takes its title from T.S. Eliot’s most quotable poem.

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

B-20. The young actress who causes all the trouble in this psychological thriller would, six years later, cause almost as much trouble as the title character of an Oscar-winning movie.

B-21. “I don't, I don't want to kill you! What would I do without you? Go back to ripping off mob dealers? No, no, no! No. You ... you ... complete me.”

B-22. The question of whether or not to kill off the character voiced by Pat Buttram proved a major bone of contention in the making of this film.

B-23. “This is the one about the babysitter, right? She's getting those scary and harassing phone calls and when she traces them back, they are coming from inside the house. But a**swipe, aren't you forgetting something? I'm not babysitting any kids!”
“Wrong legend! This is the one about the old lady who dries her wet dog in the microwave oven.”

B-24. In this film noir, the actress referenced in Clue B-20 doesn’t make any trouble, but she finds herself in a considerable amount of trouble after drinking six cocktails.

B-25. “My minimum price for taking a stranded lady to a telephone is 400 dollars.”

ROMANCING THE STONE

B-26. This 1996 movie marked the feature film debut of a director and a pair of acting brothers who would all go on to much greater success.

BOTTLE ROCKET

B-27. “Robert, please. You don't understand, no one does. When a woman makes the choice to marry, to have children; in one way her life begins but in another way it stops. You build a life of details. You become a mother, a wife and you stop and stay steady so that your children can move. And when they leave they take your life of details with them. And then you're expected move again only you don't remember what moves you because no-one has asked in so long. Not even yourself. You never in your life think that love like this can happen to you.”

B-28. More than twenty years after Paramount forced the temperamental director of this silent classic to edit it into two films – the second entitled The Honeymoon – the Cinémathèque Française gave him the opportunity to edit the footage back into a single film.

THE WEDDING MARCH

B-29. “Billy, before I go there's something I want to tell you. You're not quite old enough, but, well ... it's the googly. Your hand is too small to master it, but you can make a start.”

B-30. George Gershwin received an Oscar nomination for his work on this film – and, dammit, he should have won!

SHALL WE DANCE

B-31. “Murders and rapes in the city, people bomb planes, can the police stop 'em? No! But feed one little cow to a crocodile....”

LAKE PLACID

THE BISHOP MISBEHAVES?

B-33. “Hey, buddy, I'm not paying you to hear your thoughts on life. I'm paying you to sing.”
“Well, I have a microphone, and you don't, so you will listen to every damn word I have to say!”

THE WEDDING SINGER

B-34. This musical adaptation of a Mark Twain novel could not use the original Broadway score because the songs had already been purchased by a rival studio for a musical biopic the year before.

B-36. A shipwreck survivor starts to go mad in the bayou – or does she? – in this 1944 Gothic film noir.

B-37. “Four years ago something terrible happened here. We did nothing about it, nothing. The whole town fell into a sort of settled melancholy and all the people in it closed their eyes, and held their tongues, and failed the test with a whimper. And now something terrible's going to happen again - and in a way we're lucky, because we've been given a second chance.”

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK

B-38. This Hitchcock film stars a woman who had previously won an Oscar and a man who would later win an Oscar – neither of whom had ever worked with the director, or each other, before, or would again. Got that?

TORN CURTAIN

B-39. “Running was always a big thing in our family, specially running away from the police. It's hard to understand. All I know is that you've got to run, running without knowing why, through fields and woods. And the winning post's no end, even though the barmy crowds might be cheering themselves daft.”

B-40. This was the first of only two Czech entries to receive the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film.

THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET

B-41. “The Skeksis, with their hard and twisted bodies, their harsh and twisted wills. For a thousand years they have ruled. Yet now, there are only ten: a dying race, ruled by a dying Emperor, imprisoned within themselves in a dying land.”

THE DARK CRYSTAL

B-42. This movie won the first Oscar for Visual Effects thanks to its earthquake and flood sequences.

“Yeah, the court ordered her to take anger-management classes after she pummeled a customer for grabbin' her ass. He pressed charges, I gave her a raise. Cheers!”

COYOTE UGLY

B-44. Like another film released the same year, this movie deals with lovers whose happiness is threatened by a family feud – but set in Appalachia rather than Verona.

ROMAN HOLIDAY

B-46. There are only about 25 lines of dialogue in this horror movie, and the first does not occur until 38 minutes into the film.

THE PAPER CHASE

B-48. This film marked the first screen appearance of the most popular character created by mystery novelist Leslie Charteris.

A Saint movie

B-50. This concert documentary features performances by – among others – Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, the Mamas and the Papas, the Who, Jimi Hendrix, and Ravi Shankar. (Hey, it was the sixties.)

MONTERREY POP

B-51. “One chance to answer with some dignity or I swear you're going into this barrel while you're still alive to feel the pain!”

10 CLOVERFIELD LANE

B-52. This 1963 film was the sequel to arguably the biggest tearjerker ever to emerge from the Disney Studios.

SAVAGE SAM

B-53. ” Loneliness has followed me my whole life, everywhere. In bars, in cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere. There's no escape. I'm God's lonely man.”

TAXI DRIVER

B-54. Despite its title, this 1935 comedy starred, not Jack Benny, but one of his closest friends.

B-55. “The next time you strike an Indian for any reason whatsoever, it is you who is going to be sent away. They are different from us, they don't understand! And besides that, it could be very dangerous for us all.”
“It will not seem filthy to him unless we make it so. Honey, it is very natural.”

B-56. The subject of this 1975 documentary reportedly wore a red dress to the premiere –backwards, with the zipper in front.

B-58. This film featured the director referenced in Clue B-28 as a real-life military genius.

FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO

B-59. “Yes, I know who Judas was. He was a man I worked for and admired until he disgraced the four stars on his uniform.”

SEVEN DAYS IN MAY

B-60. Henry Winkler said that he based the Fonz on the performance of one of his co-stars in this movie. (The co-star, like Winkler, would soon to on to bigger and better things.)

THE LORDS OF FLATBUSH

WHAT PRICE GLORY

B-62. This comedy about a hayseed who becomes a Hollywood star marked the screen debut of a veteran vaudevillian who was best known for his stage role as one of the main characters in the movie referenced in Clue B-1. Got that?

THE FRONT PAGE

B-64. In this comedy, Danny Kaye played a role akin to ones played by Michael Redgrave on the big screen and Cliff Robertson on the small screen.

CHAMPION

B-66. This British family drama takes its name from an early 19th century Christmas carol.

B-67. “He's dead. They stuffed him with pages torn from his favorite book. Could you cook him?”

B-68. Despite what the director told the press, the most notorious scene in this movie actually utilized powdered cow’s milk. Lots of it.

B-69. “Is that it? Is that all you're gonna ask me? Well I got a couple of thousand goddamn questions, you know. I want to speak to someone in charge. I want to lodge a complaint. You have no right to make people crazy! You think I investigate every Walter Cronkite story there is? Huh? If this is just nerve gas, how come I know everything in such detail? I've never been here before. How come I know so much? What the hell is going on around here? Who the hell are you people?”

B-70. This caper film bombed at the box office and was nominated for five Razzie awards. (Maybe it was all the Elvis impersonators….)

3000 MILES TO GRACELAND

B-71. “Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter eleven months of the year. Anne Murray - all day, every day.”

CANADIAN BACON?

B-72. This film about a man in search of his illegitimate son marked the only screen pairing of the actress reference in Clue B-16 with the actor who was ranked 8th on the same AFI list.

THESE WILDER YEARS

B-73. “I don't get hurt or bleed, hair doesn't muss; it's one of the advantages of being imaginary.”

PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO

B-74. This 1939 cartoon short was built around a Hoagy Carmichael/Frank Loesser song that appeared in my last game – but in an underwater setting.

SMALL FRY

B-75. “Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary - the American Navy. For forty years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage.”

THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER

B-76. Made at the request of FDR on behalf of an ally, this wartime drama later became an object of suspicion to HUAC.

TENDER COMRADE

B-77. “And don't forget ... I'm also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.”

NOTTING HILL

B-78. This movie directed by a leading independent filmmaker marked the American debut of the second actor to win an Oscar for a foreign language film. Got that?

B-79. “Fifty years ago, for five minutes you came within ... you came this close. It would kill some men to get so close to their dream and not touch it. God, they'd consider it a tragedy.”
“Son, if I'd only gotten to be a doctor for five minutes ... now that would have been a tragedy.”

FIELD OF DREAMS

B-80. Robert Downey, Jr., and the actor in Clue A-27 have each recreated a sequence first performed in this movie.

THE GOLD RUSH

franktangredi

#33 Post by franktangredi » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:52 am

One actor with a question mark is wrong and one 'definite' movie is wrong.

mrkelley23 wrote:Added a couple of things to the consolidation and noticed how many words that doubled as surnames were in the titles of list B. I think there may be one or two more parameters, but I'm pretty confident I'm on the right track.

CONSOLIDATION

JOHN WAYNE

BETTE MIDLER

BRAD PITT

ZERO MOSTEL

MAGGIE SMITH

LIZA MINNELLI?

KEVIN KLINE

GALE SONDERGAARD

CARY ELWES

HOWARD KEEL

LOUIS ARMSTRONG?

PETER LORRE

WALTER MATTHAU

DON AMECHE

JOEL MCCREA

JOHN LITHGOW

STEVE MARTIN

JULIE HARRIS

TOM HANKS

MARGARET HAMILTON?

JOHNNY DEPP

MARGARET O’BRIEN

CHER

ZACHARY QUINTO

RENEE ZELLWEGER

ADRIEN BRODY?

PAUL NEWMAN

THE WIZARD OF OZ

LA CAGE AUX FOLLES

THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA

THE BIG SHORT

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER

THREE SMART GIRLS

BLOOD DIAMOND

BROWN BUNNY

B-13. “Giant evil gods.”

THE BUTLER

THE POWER OF ONE

THE NIGHT WALKER

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

ROMANCING THE STONE

BOTTLE ROCKET

THE WEDDING MARCH

SHALL WE DANCE

LAKE PLACID

THE BISHOP MISBEHAVES?

THE WEDDING SINGER

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK

TORN CURTAIN

THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET

THE DARK CRYSTAL

COYOTE UGLY

ROMAN HOLIDAY

THE PAPER CHASE

A Saint movie

MONTERREY POP

10 CLOVERFIELD LANE

SAVAGE SAM

TAXI DRIVER

FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO

SEVEN DAYS IN MAY

THE LORDS OF FLATBUSH

WHAT PRICE GLORY

THE FRONT PAGE

CHAMPION

3000 MILES TO GRACELAND

CANADIAN BACON?

THESE WILDER YEARS

PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO

SMALL FRY

THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER

TENDER COMRADE

NOTTING HILL

FIELD OF DREAMS

THE GOLD RUSH

mrkelley23

#34 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:51 pm

A-32 is Ryan Gosling

B-76 appears to be Mission to Moscow.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

jarnon

#35 Post by jarnon » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:29 pm

franktangredi wrote:One actor with a question mark is wrong and one 'definite' movie is wrong.
mrkelley23 wrote:B-76 appears to be Mission to Moscow.
That means all the other definite movies, and the movies with one question mark, are right.

New consolidation with clues removed from confirmed right answers…

A-12 HOWARD KEEL starred in Show Boat with B-12 Joe E BROWN and B-65 Marge and Gower CHAMPION

A-3 BRAD PITT starred in Money Ball with B-77 Jonah HILL, B-32 Stanley BISHOP, and B-11 Reed DIAMOND

A-11 CARY ELWES starred in The Princess Bride with B-41 Billy CRYSTAL and B-52 Fred SAVAGE

A-23 STEVE MARTIN starred in Three Amigos with B-7 Martin SHORT and B-47 Chevy CHASE

A-4 ZERO MOSTEL starred in The Producers with B-72 Gene WILDER and B-35 Kenneth MARS

A-1. JOHN WAYNE
A-2. BETTE MIDLER
*A-3. BRAD PITT
*A-4. ZERO MOSTEL
A-5. MAGGIE SMITH

LIZA MINNELLI?

A-9. KEVIN KLINE
A-10. GALE SONDERGAARD
*A-11. CARY ELWES
*A-12. HOWARD KEEL

LOUIS ARMSTRONG?

A-15. PETER LORRE

A-17. WALTER MATTHAU

A-19. DON AMECHE

A-21. JOEL MCCREA
A-22. JOHN LITHGOW
*A-23. STEVE MARTIN
A-24. JULIE HARRIS
A-25. TOM HANKS

MARGARET HAMILTON?

A-27. JOHNNY DEPP
A-28. MARGARET O’BRIEN
A-29. CHER
A-30. ZACHARY QUINTO
A-31. RENEE ZELLWEGER

RYAN GOSLING

A-33. PAUL NEWMAN

B-1. THE WIZARD OF OZ
B-2. LA CAGE AUX FOLLES

B-4. THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA

*B-7. THE BIG SHORT

B-9. NIGHT OF THE HUNTER
B-10. THREE SMART GIRLS
*B-11. BLOOD DIAMOND
*B-12. BROWN BUNNY

B-13. “Giant evil gods.”

B-14. THE BUTLER
B-15. THE POWER OF ONE
B-16. THE NIGHT WALKER

B-19. YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

B-25. ROMANCING THE STONE
B-26. BOTTLE ROCKET
B-27. BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY
B-28. THE WEDDING MARCH

B-30. SHALL WE DANCE
B-31. LAKE PLACID
*B-32. THE BISHOP MISBEHAVES
B-33. THE WEDDING SINGER
B-34. A CONNECTICUT YANKEE IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT
*B-35. MARS ATTACKS

B-37. BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK
B-38. TORN CURTAIN

B-40. THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET
*B-41. THE DARK CRYSTAL

B-43. COYOTE UGLY

B-45. ROMAN HOLIDAY

*B-47. THE PAPER CHASE

A Saint movie

B-50. MONTERREY POP
B-51. 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE
*B-52. SAVAGE SAM
B-53. TAXI DRIVER

B-55. AT PLAY IN THE FIELDS OF THE LORD

B-58. FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO
B-59. SEVEN DAYS IN MAY
B-60. THE LORDS OF FLATBUSH
B-61. WHAT PRICE GLORY

B-63. THE FRONT PAGE

*B-65. CHAMPION

B-69. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
B-70. 3000 MILES TO GRACELAND
B-71. CANADIAN BACON
*B-72. THESE WILDER YEARS
B-73. PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO
B-74. SMALL FRY
B-75. THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER

MISSION TO MOSCOW

*B-77. NOTTING HILL

B-79. FIELD OF DREAMS
B-80. THE GOLD RUSH
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

kroxquo

#36 Post by kroxquo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:00 pm

B-1 Has to be a reference to Frank Oz. I am wondering if it has to be where he actually appears or could it be one of the muppet or Star Wars movies?

jarnon

#37 Post by jarnon » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:26 pm

A-17 WALTER MATTHAU starred in A New Leaf with B-59 Elaine MAY and B-73 George ROSE

A-1 JOHN WAYNE starred in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence with B-70 Vera MILES and B-19 Carleton YOUNG

A-33 PAUL NEWMAN starred in Sweet Bird of Youth with B-63 Geraldine PAGE and B-38 Rip TORN
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#38 Post by franktangredi » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:06 pm

jarnon wrote:A-17 WALTER MATTHAU starred in A New Leaf with B-59 Elaine MAY and B-73 George ROSE

A-1 JOHN WAYNE starred in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence with B-70 Vera MILES and B-19 Carleton YOUNG

A-33 PAUL NEWMAN starred in Sweet Bird of Youth with B-63 Geraldine PAGE and B-38 Rip TORN
One of these is not what I intended, but it's 2/3 correct.

kroxquo

#39 Post by kroxquo » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:50 am

If B-68 is in fact Annie Hall then you could do -

A-27 JOHNNY DEPP starred in Edward Scissorhands with B-61 Vincent PRICE and B-68 Anthony Michael HALL

franktangredi

#40 Post by franktangredi » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:54 am

kroxquo wrote:If B-68 is in fact Annie Hall then you could do -

A-27 JOHNNY DEPP starred in Edward Scissorhands with B-61 Vincent PRICE and B-68 Anthony Michael HALL
It isn't, I'm afraid. And, since you will eventually be able to make this same match with one of the unidentified movies, I might as well tell you that this one was unintentional.

mellytu74

#41 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:36 am

A-1. JOHN WAYNE starred in The Longest Day with B-4. Tommy SANDS and B-9. Jeffrey HUNTER

HALL PASS, which completes A-27 JOHNNY DEPP starred in Edward Scissorhands with B-61 Vincent PRICE and B-17 Anthony Michael HALL

And makes

THE SIGN OF THE CROSS (Ben Cross?)

mellytu74

#42 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:48 am

B-13. “Giant evil gods.”

CABIN IN THE WOODS

A-10. GALE SONDERGAARD in Anthony Adverse with B-13. Donald WOODS and B-28. Frederic MARCH

mellytu74

#43 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:12 am

THE HURT LOCKER

mellytu74

#44 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:28 am

I am betting this is Little Edie in GREY GARDENS

And this is

B-48. THE SAINT IN NEW YORK

To give us

A-8. LIZA MINNELLI starring Cabaret with B-48 Michael YORK and B-56 Joel GREY

mellytu74

#45 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:44 am

Ok - this was driving me nuts.

I kept thinking it was Night on Earth. Roberto Begnini + Jim Jarmusch. But there's no likely last name there.

Turns out it is DOWN BY LAW. Also Roberto Begnini and Jim Jarmusch.

mrkelley23

#46 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:16 pm

It doesn't look like any of our other film buffs are going to show for this one, so I looked up a few movies to increase our pot of last names:

B-5 is CRAZY RICH ASIANS
B-6 is GATES OF HEAVEN
B-18 is I'VE HEARD THE MERMAIDS SINGING
B-20 is A GUEST IN THE HOUSE
B-21 is THE DARK KNIGHT
B-22 is THE FOX AND THE HOUND (at least, I've confirmed that there was a long fight about whether to kill Buttram's character, and I can't confirm it for Robin Hood. Plus, I think Frank used the phrase "bone of contention" purposefully.)
B-23 is URBAN LEGEND
B-24 is THE BLUE GARDENIA
B-29 is HOPE AND GLORY

mrkelley23

#47 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:20 pm

I was wondering how in the world Mission to Moscow was going to work.

A-25 TOM HANKS starred in Big with B-76 David MOSCOW and B-18 John HEARD

jarnon

#48 Post by jarnon » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:40 pm

franktangredi wrote:
jarnon wrote:A-17 WALTER MATTHAU starred in A New Leaf with B-59 Elaine MAY and B-73 George ROSE

One of these is not what I intended, but it's 2/3 correct.
With more clues to work with, I realize that the last actor should be Shirley Knight.

I suggest putting accidental matches in brackets, thus:
A-33 PAUL NEWMAN starred in Sweet Bird of Youth with B-63 Geraldine PAGE and B-21 Shirley KNIGHT [and B-38 Rip TORN]
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#49 Post by jarnon » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:12 pm

Updated consolidation…

A-12 HOWARD KEEL starred in Show Boat with B-12 Joe E BROWN and B-65 Marge and Gower CHAMPION

A-3 BRAD PITT starred in Money Ball with B-77 Jonah HILL, B-32 Stanley BISHOP, and B-11 Reed DIAMOND

A-11 CARY ELWES starred in The Princess Bride with B-41 Billy CRYSTAL and B-52 Fred SAVAGE

A-4 ZERO MOSTEL starred in The Producers with B-72 Gene WILDER and B-35 Kenneth MARS

A-17 WALTER MATTHAU starred in A New Leaf with B-59 Elaine MAY and B-73 George ROSE

A-1 JOHN WAYNE starred in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance with B-70 Vera MILES and B-19 Carleton YOUNG

A-33 PAUL NEWMAN starred in Sweet Bird of Youth with B-63 Geraldine PAGE and B-21 Shirley KNIGHT [and B-38 Rip TORN]

A-1 JOHN WAYNE starred in The Longest Day with B-4 Tommy SANDS and B-9 Jeffrey HUNTER

A-10 GALE SONDERGAARD starred in Anthony Adverse with B-13 Donald WOODS and B-28 Frederic MARCH

A-8. LIZA MINNELLI starred in Cabaret with B-48 Michael YORK and B-56 Joel GREY

A-25 TOM HANKS starred in Big with B-76 David MOSCOW and B-18 John HEARD

[A-27 JOHNNY DEPP starred in Edward Scissorhands with B-61 Vincent PRICE and B-17 Anthony Michael HALL]

**A-1. JOHN WAYNE
A-2. BETTE MIDLER
*A-3. BRAD PITT
*A-4. ZERO MOSTEL
A-5. MAGGIE SMITH

*A-8. LIZA MINNELLI
A-9. KEVIN KLINE
*A-10. GALE SONDERGAARD
*A-11. CARY ELWES
*A-12. HOWARD KEEL

LOUIS ARMSTRONG?

A-15. PETER LORRE

*A-17. WALTER MATTHAU

A-19. DON AMECHE

A-21. JOEL MCCREA
A-22. JOHN LITHGOW
*A-23. STEVE MARTIN
A-24. JULIE HARRIS
*A-25. TOM HANKS

MARGARET HAMILTON?

A-27. JOHNNY DEPP
A-28. MARGARET O’BRIEN
A-29. CHER
A-30. ZACHARY QUINTO
A-31. RENEE ZELLWEGER

RYAN GOSLING

*A-33. PAUL NEWMAN

B-1. THE WIZARD OF OZ
B-2. LA CAGE AUX FOLLES

THE HURT LOCKER

*B-4. THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA

CRAZY RICH ASIANS

GATES OF HEAVEN

*B-7. THE BIG SHORT

*B-9. NIGHT OF THE HUNTER
B-10. THREE SMART GIRLS
*B-11. BLOOD DIAMOND
*B-12. BROWN BUNNY
*B-13. CABIN IN THE WOODS
B-14. THE BUTLER
B-15. THE POWER OF ONE
B-16. THE NIGHT WALKER
B-17. HALL PASS
*B-18. I’VE HEARD THE MERMAIDS SINGING
*B-19. YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

A GUEST IN THE HOUSE

*B-21. THE DARK KNIGHT
B-22. THE FOX AND THE HOUND

URBAN LEGEND

THE BLUE GARDENIA

B-25. ROMANCING THE STONE
B-26. BOTTLE ROCKET
B-27. BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY
*B-28. THE WEDDING MARCH

HOPE AND GLORY

B-30. SHALL WE DANCE
B-31. LAKE PLACID
*B-32. THE BISHOP MISBEHAVES
B-33. THE WEDDING SINGER
B-34. A CONNECTICUT YANKEE IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT
*B-35. MARS ATTACKS

B-37. BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK
B-38. TORN CURTAIN

B-40. THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET
*B-41. THE DARK CRYSTAL

B-43. COYOTE UGLY

B-45. ROMAN HOLIDAY

*B-47. THE PAPER CHASE
*B-48. THE SAINT IN NEW YORK

B-50. MONTERREY POP
B-51. 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE
*B-52. SAVAGE SAM
B-53. TAXI DRIVER

B-55. AT PLAY IN THE FIELDS OF THE LORD
*B-56. GREY GARDENS

B-58. FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO
*B-59. SEVEN DAYS IN MAY
B-60. THE LORDS OF FLATBUSH
B-61. WHAT PRICE GLORY

*B-63. THE FRONT PAGE

*B-65. CHAMPION

B-68. THE SIGN OF THE CROSS
B-69. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
*B-70. 3000 MILES TO GRACELAND
B-71. CANADIAN BACON
*B-72. THESE WILDER YEARS
*B-73. PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO
B-74. SMALL FRY
B-75. THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER
*B-76.MISSION TO MOSCOW
*B-77. NOTTING HILL

DOWN BY LAW

B-79. FIELD OF DREAMS
B-80. THE GOLD RUSH
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#50 Post by jarnon » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:20 pm

A-9 KEVIN KLINE starred in The Big Chill with B-3 William HURT and B-69 Glenn CLOSE

A-16 CARL REINER starred in The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming! with B-48 Eva Marie SAINT, B-78 John Phillip LAW and B-24 Ben BLUE
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי