Transcript 5/1/19 Tim Leung (IronmanTim)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 5/1/19 Tim Leung (IronmanTim)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri May 03, 2019 5:18 pm

Tim Leung (BB IronmanTim)
Technical trainer
Fitchburg, Wis.

$500
According to Lifehacker.com, you can put a few drops of dish soap into a cup of apple cider vinegar to create a gooey trap for what pests that land in it?
A: Bears B: Burglars
C: Fruit flies D: Army paratroopers

Spoiler
C: Fruit flies

$1,000
In the mid-20th century, the boundary between the Soviet Bloc and Western Democracy was often referred to as what metaphorical metallic window treatment?
A: Steel Drapes B: Iron Curtain
C: Aluminum Shutters D: Titanium Blinds

Spoiler
B: Iron Curtain

$2,000
At NYC’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, you’ll often find exhibitions in what space, named after a stylish magazine editor who’s a fixture at The Met’s annual gala?
A: Anna Wintour Costume Center B: Hugh Hefner Sexy Nude Sculpture Collection
C: Jann Wenner Guitar Pick Display D: Martha Stewart Wicker Trash Basket Showcase

Spoiler
A: Anna Wintour Costume Center

Commercial break

Tim’s wife Katie is pregnant with their first child.

$3,000
According to legend, a man named Hamana Kalili, who lost three fingers in a sugar mill accident, is the originator of the cheerful hand gesture meaning what?
A: “Talk to the hand” B: “You stink”
C: “Hang loose” D: “I am displeased with your driving”

Spoiler
C: “Hang loose”

$5,000
“What’s the Buzz?,” “Peter’s Denial” and “I Don’t Know How To Love Him” are all songs from what musical?
A: Rent B: Fiddler on the Roof
C: Jesus Christ Superstar D: Cabaret

Spoiler
C: Jesus Christ Superstar

$7,000
In 2017, what banker-turned-movie producer had a #1 hit with “The Lego Batman Movie,” while simultaneously serving as the U.S. Treasury Secretary?
A: James Mattis B: Wilbur Ross
C: Steven Mnuchin D: Jerome Powell

Spoiler
C: Steven Mnuchin

Commercial break

QotD
A popular alternative to ice cream, “gelato” is simply the Italian word for what?
A: Cream B: Sweet
C: Dessert D: Frozen

Spoiler
D: Frozen

$10,000
At a wedding, if you see the bride’s paranymph, you’re looking at what?
A: Her mother-in-law B: One of her bridesmaids
C: Her ring D: Her veil

Spoiler
Tim’s +1 Keely is a former Jeopardy! contestant. Tim says “the bride’s paranymph” sounds like something singular, so it’s not one of her bridesmaids.

Spoiler
50/50 leaves B & D. Tim chooses D.

Spoiler
B: One of her bridesmaids
Tim wins $5,000.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Mon May 06, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

IronmanTim

Re: Transcript 5/1/19 Tim Leung

#2 Post by IronmanTim » Mon May 06, 2019 8:04 am

Hi everyone, it's me, Tim, mostly a lurker here. It was a blast to play. Just wish I came up with the right answer.

Spoiler
Clearly I made an error with singular/plural and I was super focused after the 50/50 "confirmed" my instincts that I just jumped in with the wrong answer, but even if I don't make that mistake, I think I get "para" wrong, as I think "parasol" means "to block the sun" and I'd go with "veil" as "blocking the woman". So I probably didn't deserve to move farther on this stack, which is a shame, since I do know many other answers that people lost on in the $10-30K range.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 06, 2019 8:47 am

IronmanTim wrote:Hi everyone, it's me, Tim, mostly a lurker here. It was a blast to play. Just wish I came up with the right answer.

Spoiler
Clearly I made an error with singular/plural and I was super focused after the 50/50 "confirmed" my instincts that I just jumped in with the wrong answer, but even if I don't make that mistake, I think I get "para" wrong, as I think "parasol" means "to block the sun" and I'd go with "veil" as "blocking the woman". So I probably didn't deserve to move farther on this stack, which is a shame, since I do know many other answers that people lost on in the $10-30K range.
Spoiler
You should have thought of "para" as in "paramedic".
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

Re: Transcript 5/1/19 Tim Leung (IronmanTim)

#4 Post by jarnon » Mon May 06, 2019 10:53 am

IronmanTim wrote:Hi everyone, it's me, Tim, mostly a lurker here. It was a blast to play. Just wish I came up with the right answer.

Spoiler
That's a tough question for the $10K level. Well, you look like you had fun anyway. Has your +1½ become a +2?
Last edited by jarnon on Mon May 06, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:03 am

jarnon wrote:

Spoiler
That's a tough question for the $10K level. Well, you look like you had fun anyway. Has your +1½ become a +2?
I agree that's a tough question for the level. I'd never heard of that word before. I guess they were thinking "nymph" was a clue.

The question is a little easier for lawyers because we're used to dealing with paralegals and I would have made the correct choice, but I was not at all confident I was right. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

IronmanTim

#6 Post by IronmanTim » Mon May 06, 2019 3:54 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Tim Leung (BB IronmanTim)

Tim’s +1, his wife Keeley, is pregnant with their first child.
jarnon wrote: Has your +1½ become a +2?
To clarify this, because it wasn't super clear on air, my wife, Katie has given birth to our daughter. Chris and I were joking that I would name the kid after him if I won the million, no matter what Katie thought lol. That of course got cut from the broadcast.

Keely, a former Jeopardy Contestant, was my +1.

IronmanTim

#7 Post by IronmanTim » Mon May 06, 2019 3:57 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

Spoiler
Spoiler
You should have thought of "para" as in "paramedic".
Spoiler
Had I done that, I might also have thought the word meant "all-around", as in an all-around medic, and I still probably go with "veil". This is consistent with my incorrect understanding of a few similar phrases. Of course, I've been second guessing myself a bunch since last July when we filmed, but ultimately, I just needed to study my word roots more.

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Mon May 06, 2019 5:19 pm

IronmanTim wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Tim Leung (BB IronmanTim)

Tim’s +1, his wife Keeley, is pregnant with their first child.
jarnon wrote: Has your +1½ become a +2?
To clarify this, because it wasn't super clear on air, my wife, Katie has given birth to our daughter. Chris and I were joking that I would name the kid after him if I won the million, no matter what Katie thought lol. That of course got cut from the broadcast.

Keely, a former Jeopardy Contestant, was my +1.
Congratulations on your little one. The transcript has been fixed.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי