WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Question re Derby
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:22 pm 
Online
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 10393
Location: Location.Location.Location
Max Security owner filing appeal, etc. Would he have any case if he were to assert that the track was so compromised from rain and slop that horse jockey had no control over feets and all? No, we didn't bet on anyone.

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Question re Derby
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:53 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 18458
Location: By the phone
Beebs52 wrote:
Max Security owner filing appeal, etc. Would he have any case if he were to assert that the track was so compromised from rain and slop that horse jockey had no control over feets and all? No, we didn't bet on anyone.
I don't know the rules of horse racing, nor do I know Kentucky law about the availability of judicial review of a decision by the stewards. But I read a story in today's Los Angeles Times that said most of the people who knew what they were talking about agreed with the decision to disqualify, and thought that if it were any race other than the Derby it wouldn't have been a close call. Apparently there's a picture that shows one of the hooves of Maximum Security squarely between another horse's legs. It sounds like it was extremely lucky that no one went down. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Question re Derby
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:10 pm 
Online
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 10393
Location: Location.Location.Location
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Max Security owner filing appeal, etc. Would he have any case if he were to assert that the track was so compromised from rain and slop that horse jockey had no control over feets and all? No, we didn't bet on anyone.
I don't know the rules of horse racing, nor do I know Kentucky law about the availability of judicial review of a decision by the stewards. But I read a story in today's Los Angeles Times that said most of the people who knew what they were talking about agreed with the decision to disqualify, and thought that if it were any race other than the Derby it wouldn't have been a close call. Apparently there's a picture that shows one of the hooves of Maximum Security squarely between another horse's legs. It sounds like it was extremely lucky that no one went down. --Bob

That's what I saw, too. Just wondering what the what

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Question re Derby
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 22489
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Here's the full race:


_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Question re Derby
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 pm
Posts: 5279
Location: Charlotte, NC
I will be so glad when they put me in charge of everything, and I can shut down this barbaric endeavor they call a sport.

Horse racing and the Iditarod. Bam. And dog racing. All gone in one move.

All the dogs and horses can just run instead of being whipped or punished or rewarded. And then killed.

_________________
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Question re Derby
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:18 pm 
Online
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 10393
Location: Location.Location.Location
Ritterskoop wrote:
I will be so glad when they put me in charge of everything, and I can shut down this barbaric endeavor they call a sport.

Horse racing and the Iditarod. Bam. And dog racing. All gone
All the dogs and horses can just run instead of being whipped or punished or rewarded. And then killed.

I sorta agree with you.

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Question re Derby
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 2782
Stolen from Small Dead Animals

>>>"But perspective matters. The unsung hero of the debacle was War of Will, who miraculously avoided the legs of Maximum Security as he crossed in front of him. We could have been talking about multiple racetrack fatalities today, instead of a controversy in the stewards room.<<<<


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: a1mamacat, Beebs52, flockofseagulls104, silverscreenselect and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maƫl Soucaze.