Robert Smith

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Robert Smith

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:06 pm

I think this quite cool. We did similar for #1 son for a wedding gift.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/19/us/moreh ... index.html
Well, then

BackInTex

Re: Robert Smith

#2 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 21, 2019 6:58 am

Yeah, I thought this was cool, but them my bad side started thinking:

1) "What about the folks that graduated in December?"
2) "What about those that missed this one by 6 hours and will graduate in August?"
3) "What about Sgt. Morris in row 7, father of 3, who earned his GI Bill and has no debt?"
4) "What about the guy in row 4, Cum Laude grad, who took 5 years, but worked almost full time and has no outstanding loans?"

But then I remembered Matthew 20:1-16

But, I still struggle with that one.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 21, 2019 7:56 am

BackInTex wrote:Yeah, I thought this was cool, but them my bad side started thinking:

2) "What about those that missed this one by 6 hours and will graduate in August?"
3) "What about Sgt. Morris in row 7, father of 3, who earned his GI Bill and has no debt?"
4) "What about the guy in row 4, Cum Laude grad, who took 5 years, but worked almost full time and has no outstanding loans?"

By that same token, you can criticize anyone who donates to any charity for not donating more or to other charities.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:53 am

I saw this and thought it was pretty cool. Whatever your situation in life, a gift like that makes a difference.

I used to have a friend (years ago) who was clearly a spoiled princess, from a well-off family, who married a urologist who made a very good living. I cleaned house and babysat for her. I would occasionally hear her lament her inability to go both to Paris and Hawaii in a single year because she "was in trouble for spending too much money shopping." Or she'd complain because her husband gave her a catered birthday party in their home instead of at a popular 'fancy' restaurant, stuff like that. It took me a while, but I gradually came to understand that a hardship doesn't have to mean the same thing to everyone for it to be a hardship. For me back then, cutting back meant eating (and stretching) a couple pounds of hamburger for a week. For her, it meant not spending $1000 on makeup in a week. It sounds ridiculous, but for her, that was truly 'cutting back.'
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 21, 2019 9:34 am

tlynn78 wrote:For her, it meant not spending $1000 on makeup in a week. It sounds ridiculous, but for her, that was truly 'cutting back.'
Back in the 2008 recession, there were a lot of articles about how people could cut back on spending and what struck me most was how many of them didn't apply to me because I had never spent that way to begin with. At or near the top of most of those lists was cutting back on coffee at Starbucks and similar places. I am a heavy coffee drinker, but I've only been to Starbucks and similar places about a dozen times in my life and every time it was to meet someone who suggested that location for a meeting. There is a Starbucks next to the train station where I get off, and every day when I'm walking in, I'll usually pass two or three people from my office heading to Starbucks. We have free coffee in the office with a Keurig type machine. I don't like to have to keep going back for those little cups, so I brew pot in the morning and bring it in a large thermos.

I don't feel I've missed out on the Starbucks experience, but I remember the people back then who were shocked at the idea of giving up their daily trip to save a "mere" thousand dollars a year.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:32 am

BackInTex wrote:Yeah, I thought this was cool, but them my bad side started thinking:

Seems to me that the moral of the parable is "Live with the bargain you made, and don't get jealous because others made better bargains."

But to me that's got nothing to do with this situation, which is an act of pure generosity with no return bargained for in advance or expected in the future. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:43 am

Bob78164 wrote:

Seems to me that the moral of the parable is "Live with the bargain you made, and don't get jealous because others made better bargains."

But to me that's got nothing to do with this situation, which is an act of pure generosity with no return bargained for in advance or expected in the future. --Bob
The parable involved generosity, too.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:43 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:For her, it meant not spending $1000 on makeup in a week. It sounds ridiculous, but for her, that was truly 'cutting back.'
Back in the 2008 recession, there were a lot of articles about how people could cut back on spending and what struck me most was how many of them didn't apply to me because I had never spent that way to begin with. At or near the top of most of those lists was cutting back on coffee at Starbucks and similar places. I am a heavy coffee drinker, but I've only been to Starbucks and similar places about a dozen times in my life and every time it was to meet someone who suggested that location for a meeting. There is a Starbucks next to the train station where I get off, and every day when I'm walking in, I'll usually pass two or three people from my office heading to Starbucks. We have free coffee in the office with a Keurig type machine. I don't like to have to keep going back for those little cups, so I brew pot in the morning and bring it in a large thermos.

I don't feel I've missed out on the Starbucks experience, but I remember the people back then who were shocked at the idea of giving up their daily trip to save a "mere" thousand dollars a year.
Starbucks sucks. Battery acid
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 21, 2019 1:25 pm

Beebs52 wrote:

Very expensive battery acid.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 21, 2019 2:53 pm

Beebs52 wrote:

Dunkin' is worse. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:10 pm

Maybe the Starbucks here is different, but my experience today makes me put in a good word for them. I was at a caregiver expo today, and Starbucks donated the drinks. I had an ice tea, a hot tea, and a coffee with half and half and stevia sweetener. All three were delicious.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:14 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:Maybe the Starbucks here is different, but my experience today makes me put in a good word for them. I was at a caregiver expo today, and Starbucks donated the drinks. I had an ice tea, a hot tea, and a coffee with half and half and stevia sweetener. All three were delicious.
It's all subjective. I think their plain coffee is horribly bitter. The strawberry frappucino is tasty. But not worth a visit.
Well, then