Who Wants to Be a President

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Who Wants to Be a President

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:50 am

I guess I'm the only one who watched the debate last night?

I don't have enough time right now, but who were the heroes and villains?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

Re: Who Wants to Be a President

#2 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:29 am

Bob Juch wrote:I guess I'm the only one who watched the debate last night?

I don't have enough time right now, but who were the heroes and villains?
I didn't watch it. I went and saw Toy Story 4 with my daughter and son-in-law.

I did catch the final segment where they asked each candidate what the biggest threat was. There were the usual "Global Warming"s and at least one "Trump" but what I found interesting in the majority (or what seemed a majority, I didn't actually count) included "China". It wasn't clear if the perceived threat from China was purely economical or a combination of economics and military.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:45 am

The overnight ratings for the debate on NBC were very good, equaling the totals for the other three networks combined. Keep in mind that this is summer programming with mostly reality programming, but CBS had the season finale for The Amazing Race, while ABC had Card Sharks and Match Game. Fox had First Responders Live at 9 and local news at 10.

The debate was also covered on MSNBC and Telemundo.
Nielsen wrote:9:00 p.m. ABC – “Card Sharks”: 2.3/ 4 (#3) CBS – “The Amazing Race” (season finale): 2.8/ 5 (#2) NBC – 2020 Democratic Candidates Debate: 7.0/13 (#1) Fox – “First Responders Live”: 1.6/ 3 (#4) CW – “Jane the Virgin”: 0.6/ 1 (#5)

9:30 p.m. ABC – “Card Sharks”: 2.2/ 4 (#3) CBS – “The Amazing Race” (season finale): 2.8/ 5 (#2) NBC – 2020 Democratic Candidates Debate: 7.1/13 (#1) Fox – “First Responders Live”: 1.5/ 3 (#4) CW – “Jane the Virgin”: 0.5/ 1 (#5)

10:00 p.m. ABC – “Match Game”: 2.3/ 4 (#3) CBS – “The Amazing Race” (season finale): 2.5/ 5 (#2) NBC – 2020 Democratic Candidates Debate: 7.0/12 (#1)

10:30 p.m. ABC – “Match Game”: 2.2/ 4 (#3) CBS – “The Amazing Race” (season finale): 2.5/ 5 (#2) NBC – 2020 Democratic Candidates Debate: 6.7/12 (#1)/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:25 am

From the title of Bob's post and SSS's analysis of the TV ratings, it seems that even committed Democrats see a debate this early as more of a reality show than a significant political event. It fills the time between Clyburn's fish fry and the Iowa straw poll.

I just watched it, and I learned some lesser-known candidates' names, faces and priorities.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 am

jarnon wrote:From the title of Bob's post and SSS's analysis of the TV ratings, it seems that even committed Democrats see a debate this early as more of a reality show than a significant political event. It fills the time between Clyburn's fish fry and the Iowa straw poll.

I just watched it, and I learned some lesser-known candidates' names, faces and priorities.
Exactly, it's more of a coming out party. It did show a bad side of some of the men though.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:56 am

To answer the thread title-
Me!Me!Me!Me!memememememememehasta la victoria siempremememe!
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:50 pm

Well, then

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:59 pm

Yes, but way off topic.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:18 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Yes, but way off topic.
Kamala Harris much?
Well, then

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:35 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Yes, but way off topic.
Kamala Harris much?
By off topic he means factual.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:17 pm

I have come to respect Politico as a valid news source.

Also, I found that particular piece interesting, to think about what aspects of busing didn't work.

Growing up, my perception of Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools was that busing worked to force kids to spend time with people who didn't look like them, and that part of it was good. The long bus rides, not so much. CMS is a huge system and one of the first to implement busing (we had Swann vs the Board of Education).

I went to middle and high school one county over, where we rode the bus 45 minutes because that's where the school was. We had four county high schools and one in Monroe, which was a separate system. Inefficient. It took years to combine Union County and Monroe schools systems because the white parents in the north, just outside of Charlotte, didn't want their kids being bused south to go to school with black kids in Monroe and at the two southern high schools.

There was a moment where, with 100 counties, North Carolina had 143 school systems, and much of it was to preserve stuff like this. Wake County had five separate school system in the 80s. Just wildly inefficient, to pay all those administrators to do what one group could have done.

So I thought CMS kids were being bused for a good reason, to learn to get along with each other, and for the most part, that aspect of it did work. But then some folks moved here in the 90s and didn't like where their kids were going to be sent, and they sued the school system and won. So now we are back to neighborhood schools, which should be good because you can walk to them and be part of the community, but it feels like we failed.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.