YAY SPELLING BEE CHAMPS! 8 OF 'EM!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

YAY SPELLING BEE CHAMPS! 8 OF 'EM!

#1 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:16 pm

Dr. Bailly just announced that we are in "uncharted territory" and that "we won't run out of words, but we may run out of words that will challenge the most storied assemblage of spellers in the history of the Bee." The unprecedented decision has been made: There will be 3 more rounds and whoever is left standing after that will be declared Co-Champions of the 2019 Scripps National Spelling Bee. History in the making!

The winners are:
Rishik Gandhasri, 13, of California;
Erin Howard, 14, of Alabama;
Saketh Sundar, 13, of Maryland;
Shruthika Padhy, 13, of New Jersey;
Sohum Sukhatankar, 13, of Texas;
Abhijay Kodali, 12, of Texas;
Christopher Serrao, 13, of New Jersey
Rohan Raja, 13, of Texas.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: YAY SPELLING BEE CHAMPS! 8 OF 'EM!

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:30 pm

I got seven words in the final rounds tonight: meerschaum, komondor, murrain, mondegreen (all y'all Lyrically Speaking players know this one), seitan, bougainvillea, and auslaut. I didn't actually know auslaut, but I spelled it correctly because of my knowledge of German.

Those kids were spelling until after midnight! Wow! It was great to see them cheering each other on in the last round. Akeela and the Bee is one of my favorite movies, but I had no idea I was going to see it come true -- with eight co-champions instead of two.

I bet the meeting has already been scheduled -- the one where Scripps Howard executives decide how to change the competition so there aren't eight finalists spelling into the morning hours.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 31, 2019 4:53 am

I'd like to see the NFL try this after the first round of playoffs.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Fri May 31, 2019 6:51 am

SportsFan68 wrote:Dr. Bailly just announced that we are in "uncharted territory" and that "we won't run out of words, but we may run out of words that will challenge the most storied assemblage of spellers in the history of the Bee." The unprecedented decision has been made: There will be 3 more rounds and whoever is left standing after that will be declared Co-Champions of the 2019 Scripps National Spelling Bee. History in the making!

The winners are:
3 of 8 from our great state. 8)

NJ is well represented as well.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Fri May 31, 2019 6:58 am

silverscreenselect wrote:I'd like to see the NFL try this after the first round of playoffs.

I'm pretty sure the NFL competition committee has already considered replacing the divisional playoffs with a spelling contest.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:20 am

BackInTex wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:Dr. Bailly just announced that we are in "uncharted territory" and that "we won't run out of words, but we may run out of words that will challenge the most storied assemblage of spellers in the history of the Bee." The unprecedented decision has been made: There will be 3 more rounds and whoever is left standing after that will be declared Co-Champions of the 2019 Scripps National Spelling Bee. History in the making!

The winners are:

In the television booth, Matt Barrie and Paul Loeffler provided excellent on-air commentary. Loeffler was a Bee finalist himself and did a great job with his remarks about the competitors' confidence, how they prepared, and similar information. One of them talked about what he called the Dallas-Fort Worth connection, where several of the competitors had the same coach and study lists.

One of the articles I read mentioned that in order to narrow the field to 16, they had to use much harder words in the morning's rounds than they had planned. It seemed to me that words got easier as the rounds wore on -- it's my guess that they used up too many challenging words too early. Bailly said they had plenty of words, but probably not sufficiently challenging to come up with a single champion.

The DFW story reminded me of the Dallas Aces bridge team, where Dallas businessman Ira Corn put together some of the best players in the U.S. to beat the cheating Italian Blue Team.

Moral:

Last edited by SportsFan68 on Fri May 31, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 31, 2019 10:25 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

The winners are:

In the television booth, Matt Barrie and Paul Loeffler provided excellent on-air commentary. Loeffler was a Bee finalist himself and did a great job with his remarks about the competitors' confidence, how they prepared, and similar information. One of them talked about what he called the Dallas-Fort Worth connection, where several of the competitors had the same coach and study lists.

One of the articles I read mentioned that in order to narrow the field to 16, they had to use much harder words in the morning's rounds than they had planned. It seemed to me that words got easier as the rounds wore on -- it's my guess that they used up too many challenging words too early. Bailly said they had plenty of words, but probably not sufficiently challenging to come up with a single champion.

The DFW story reminded me of the Dallas Aces bridge team, where Dalas businessman Ira Corn put together some of the best players in the U.S. to beat the cheating Italian Blue Team.

Moral:

The Italian Blue Team was playng footsie, right?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#8 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:39 am

The Italian Blue Team was playng footsie, right?
That's correct. A reporter noticed it and reported it to tournament officials. Put on notice, several witnesses looked for it and confirmed it. I read the account by reporter Bruce Keidan, and he said he never got an explanation for why officials didn't bounce the whole team on the spot.

Spock

#9 Post by Spock » Fri May 31, 2019 3:54 pm

>>>One of them talked about what he called the Dallas-Fort Worth connection, where several of the competitors had the same coach and study lists.<<<

Color me unimpressed by this. Coaches and study lists-ewwh.

Gee, some kids basically successfully memorized the dictionary.

I respect the kids (if any) who did this on their own without big outlays of parental money or even pressure.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#10 Post by Estonut » Fri May 31, 2019 4:46 pm

Spock wrote:>>>One of them talked about what he called the Dallas-Fort Worth connection, where several of the competitors had the same coach and study lists.<<<

I respect the kids (if any) who did this on their own without big outlays of parental money or even pressure.
I wonder if there ARE any of those who compete at this (basically professional) level.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri May 31, 2019 5:45 pm

Estonut wrote:
Spock wrote:>>>One of them talked about what he called the Dallas-Fort Worth connection, where several of the competitors had the same coach and study lists.<<<

I wonder if there ARE any of those who compete at this (basically professional) level.
These days, nobody can get to the finals without studying word origins, and I believe it's just like any other national sport -- I don't see how it can be done without a coach. Those last three rounds, they were asking things like, "Is that psych (the syllable in the middle) from the Greek life or soul?" Or, asking about godet, one asked, "Is that the suffix meaning small size (please say no)." She was confirming that she shouldn't spell ette. They blew me away with the obvious work they put in.

lilclyde54

#12 Post by lilclyde54 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:39 pm

Congratulations to all the Co-Champions. I was the spelling bee director/coach at my school for 15 years. It was a fun time for me and my kids.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again