2026 Winter Olympics

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
bazodee

2026 Winter Olympics

#1 Post by bazodee » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:48 pm

... have been awarded to Milan/Cortina d'Ampezzo.

Cortina hosted the winter games by itself in 1956

Here's the line-up for the next few games:
2020 Summer in Tokyo, Japan
2022 Winter in Beijing, China
2024 Summer in Paris, France
2026 Winter in Milan/Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy
2028 Summer in Los Angeles, California, United States
------------------------
Here's a round-up from the LA Times:

For weeks, it seemed that Italy held the edge in bidding for the 2026 Winter Games. On Monday, Olympic leaders made it official.
The cities of Milan and Cortina d’Ampezzo beat out a rival bid from Sweden on a 47-34 vote as the International Olympic Committee made good on its desire to return to a traditional winter sports setting.

“The passion and knowledge of Italian fans, together with experienced venue operators, will create the perfect atmosphere for the best athletes in the world,” IOC President Thomas Bach said, describing the winner as “a classic Alpine environment.”
The IOC noted the Milan-Cortina bid was bolstered by “unified backing” from local and national government. Previously, an evaluation report had seemed to give Italy the advantage, in part, because of financial guarantees for construction.

Italy recently hosted the Winter Olympics, with Turin serving as host in 2006. The Cortina d’Ampezzo resort area had a previous turn, too, in 1956.
Sweden had proposed Stockholm and Are in hopes of earning its first Winter Games, but government officials had not promised significant support. Municipal officials in Stockholm had stated they would not sign the IOC’s host city contract.
IOC polling also showed Italy in the lead with public support estimated at around 80%, compared with less than 60% in Sweden.

Either way, the IOC seemed content with both possibilities after recent stops in Russia and South Korea, and the selection of Beijing for the 2022 Winter Games.
The Olympic movement has recently struggled to attract candidates amid the rising costs associated with bidding and hosting. The 2014 Sochi Winter Games made headlines with Russia spending an estimated $51 billion on venues and infrastructure.
IOC leaders have sought to reverse the trend with a series of reforms known as Agenda 2020. The shift has encouraged bidders to make use of existing venues and spread the competition among neighboring cities and countries.
Faced with economic woes, Italy will rely mainly on existing facilities but must build an athletes village, which is often a financial burden for hosts.

Bob Juch

Re: 2026 Winter Olympics

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:22 pm

Milan is over five hours from Cortina d'Ampezzo. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Duh Mass
Merry Man

#3 Post by Duh Mass » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:41 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Milan is over five hours from Cortina d'Ampezzo. :roll:

But how much is that in metric?

bazodee

#4 Post by bazodee » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:17 pm

Recent Olympics have been based in cities for skating type events and then a remote ski resort for the alpine events. There are usually separate Olympic villages for the two locations. Cortina is quite a haul from Milan, but similar situations happened in Pyeongchang and Torino (and I think Beijing will also have this problem). Part of the bidding package from the prospective city often includes improvements to the transportation infrastructure to make it easier for folks to travel between the locations.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:23 am

bazodee wrote:
Recent Olympics have been based in cities for skating type events and then a remote ski resort for the alpine events. There are usually separate Olympic villages for the two locations. Cortina is quite a haul from Milan, but similar situations happened in Pyeongchang and Torino (and I think Beijing will also have this problem). Part of the bidding package from the prospective city often includes improvements to the transportation infrastructure to make it easier for folks to travel between the locations.
I rooting for them to finish all the subway extensions here in Los Angeles before 2028. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:25 am

Five hours? That's just down the road a piece.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:09 am

One objection that Coloradans raised in 1972 was the transportation between Steamboat Springs (most of the skiing events) and Colorado Springs (ice skating), about 220 miles across the Continental Divide by car, upwards of four hours, more if it's snowing. I don't know how long it would take by air. The winter of 1975-76 was a typical year, and that means occasional mountain pass and airport closures.

But what if it had been the winter of 1976-77? We got no precipitation between September 26, 1976 and January 3, 1977 -- several Colorado ski areas never even opened that year. We were asked to come up with $5 million to guarantee construction costs, and even then, Dick Lamm and others pointed out that other cities had shelled out far more than their guarantee resulting in decades of debt. Snowmaking costs would have been horrendous. . . . OK, that didn't happen, it was 1975-76. Still, the only guarantee was that we would have been on the hook for far more than our guarantee.

I wish Italy the best of luck and hope it's a smashing economic and sporting success.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:25 pm

We went to Alberville in 92 and the trek to Val d'Isere was a long bus ride.
Well, then