Two earthquakes in two days

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Two earthquakes in two days

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:32 pm

My first session at yesterday's Long Beach Regional was briefly interrupted yesterday when the room started swaying. Some people (including some locals, who should have known better) promptly left the room. That was our taste of the high desert quake about 150 miles away.

I just felt another quake a few minutes ago. This one was a little more unsettling, only because I was at home in my fifth-floor apartment so I got a little more motion than I got yesterday. The rolling and swaying lasted for maybe a minute. I haven't yet been able to find reports of this quake so I don't know whether it was an aftershock of yesterday's quake or a brand new chapter in the area's seismic history. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

Re: Two earthquakes in two days

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:04 pm

Tsunami warning issued after 7.1 magnitude earthquake strikes Indonesia

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 92531.html

A tsunami warning has been issued in Indonesia following a 7.1-magnitude earthquake.

The quake struck in the Molucca sea between the islands of Sulawesi and North Maluku at a depth of 10 kilometres, according to Indonesia’s geophysics agency.

Waves of up to half a metre (1.6 feet) are predicted for the nearest coastlines.

It caused panic in the city of Ternate, where people ran to higher ground.

There were no immediate reports of casualties or damage.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

Re: Two earthquakes in two days

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:03 pm

4.6 near Seattle, 4.9 near Ridgecrest, and 5.2 near Tres Picos, Mexico. Mother Earth is on the move again.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.