Utility Pass-Through Transparency

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Utility Pass-Through Transparency

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:27 pm

It's nice to know that, with enough work, it's possible to get the Los Angeles City Council to act on an issue. I've been working on this one for the better part of a year. And when I say "working on," I mean the statute was my idea, I had to convince our then Councilmember (redistricting has moved us out of her District) to carry it, I had to marshal support throughout the City, and I had to get it on the radar screen of other Councilmembers.

It's not a done deal yet, but my God it feels good to get this far. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: Utility Pass-Through Transparency

#2 Post by Estonut » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:33 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:27 pm
It's nice to know that, with enough work, it's possible to get the Los Angeles City Council to act on an issue. I've been working on this one for the better part of a year. And when I say "working on," I mean the statute was my idea, I had to convince our then Councilmember (redistricting has moved us out of our District) to carry it, I had to marshal support throughout the City, and I had to get it on the radar screen of other Councilmembers.

It's not a done deal yet, but my God it feels good to get this far.
Your God? Have you not stated that you're an atheist? Who is your God?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:36 pm

Estonut wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:33 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
It's nice to know that, with enough work, it's possible to get the Los Angeles City Council to act on an issue. I've been working on this one for the better part of a year. And when I say "working on," I mean the statute was my idea, I had to convince our then Councilmember (redistricting has moved us out of our District) to carry it, I had to marshal support throughout the City, and I had to get it on the radar screen of other Councilmembers.

Your pedantry has become boring. I suggest you find a new schtick. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:36 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Lol - hint: it's in his mirror....
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:26 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:36 pm
Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Your pedantry has become boring. I suggest you find a new schtick.
I suggest you remove your old schtick.
Groucho Marx

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:34 am

Bob78164 wrote:

Good deal. I'm surprised that is not already a requirement.

I recently moved into a rental home where the rental agency pays the utilities. I have not received my first set of utility bills but am anxious to see what I actually get. I won't have an issue with any allocation because it is a standalone house with dedicated meters, but in Texas, electricity is an open market for most places, including where I'm living, and I'm wondering about the rate my rental company has me signed up for (and I wonder if they have a deal with the likely wholesaler).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:25 am

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:34 am
Bob78164 wrote:

Good deal. I'm surprised that is not already a requirement.
Thanks. We (our Residents Association) have been asking our landlord for more than a year to provide this information and they've blown us off. I seriously doubt I'd ever have taken this on if they'd just answered our question.

It reminds me of a conversation I had when I was in law school and interviewing for summer positions. One person I talked to was a management-side labor lawyer -- someone whose job was to prevent unions from forming, or to negotiate with them if they did form. He told me that throughout his career, he never saw a union shop that hadn't been unionized by management. By which he meant that if management didn't act like total schmucks, workers wouldn't feel a need to unionize.

At the time it made sense to me, but now I've actually lived something comparable so I've got a much better feel for what he was saying. --Bob

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:48 am

Estonut wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:26 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Pull the schtick out of your ass.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:22 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:48 am
Estonut wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:26 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Pull the schtick out of your ass.
Yes, that was my joke to him, you plagiarizing moron. I'm not surprised that you missed the implication.
Groucho Marx