Rep. Duncan Hunter’s lawyers are inventive

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Rep. Duncan Hunter’s lawyers are inventive

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:27 am

Daily Kos wrote:Rep. Duncan Hunter’s lawyers are asking a judge to keep the jury in Hunter’s campaign finance violations trial from hearing that he spent campaign money on his affairs with five different women. And the lawyers, saying that Hunter was “a married man mixing business with pleasure,” have come up with a line of argument that’s … creative.

Hunter is on trial for having spent campaign money for personal reasons, including not just affairs but vacations, clothes, and video games. His expenditures on affairs, then, are entirely relevant to the charges he faces. But! Hunter carried on these affairs with three lobbyists, a staffer in his own office, and a Republican National Committee official. So his lawyers are arguing that the money he spent in the course of having affairs with them should count as a legitimate political expenditure.

These women were, after all, professional contacts for Hunter. The relationships, the lawyers argue, “often served an overtly political purpose,” so “Unlike intimacy, the fact that an individual’s relationship with Mr. Hunter includes a professional aspect that directly, or indirectly, relates to his campaign or duties as a holder of Federal office, is directly relevant to whether Mr. Hunter could properly use campaign funds for an expense in connection with that individual.”

What a defense: Yes, he used campaign funds on his affairs, but he only had affairs with women who were also business contacts, so it’s all kosher. Prosecutors disagree. Strongly. Hunter’s wife, who has cut a deal to cooperate with prosecutors, presumably also disagrees.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

Re: Rep. Duncan Hunter’s lawyers are inventive

#2 Post by BackInTex » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:09 pm

How does Bob Juch feel about this? Typically one would add their opinion or some take on a post (TMITSSS not withstanding).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: Rep. Duncan Hunter’s lawyers are inventive

#3 Post by Estonut » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:18 pm

BackInTex wrote:How does Bob Juch feel about this? Typically one would add their opinion or some take on a post (TMITSSS not withstanding).
He's gotta Google what his feelings should be... :roll:
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx